Dan's amazing cover of Mercyful Fate's "Melissa"

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
I had heard about this cover song for years, but never got around to picking it up. Finally, when I saw the CD for $1 on eBay, I grabbed it. It's called A Tribute to Mercyful Fate: The Unholy Sounds of the Demon Bells and besides Dan, there are other bands including Soilwork, Memory Garden, Psycho Scream, Equinox, etc.

Without doubt, Dan's interpretation of "Melissa" is the most amazing song on the album. Even the liner notes in the booklet mention Dan's original work on the CD. Dan sings, plays piano, drums, bass and guitar, all himself. The song is drastically different than the original version starting out with slow piano and the chorus is entirely different. Dan's voice is deeper than ever, even deeper than his stuff on the Odyssey EP. However, towards the end, he does some wicked high screams that sound like tenor women cutting it loose. Although I listen to Dan's music religiously, I couldn't believe it was actually him doing those screams.

Man - Dan is so fucking talented. Right up there with Devin Townsend and Daniel Gildenlow.

I'd love to hear some comments from those of you who have heard this disc, and if Dan has the time, what were you getting at when you did this cover, Dan? You absolutely rock my world!

Can't wait for the ltd. ed. Nightingale. I hope it will arrive some time this week.

well the high pitch screams are pretty close to those he does on "Steel"
actuall I'm a bit embarassed to mention I at first thought it was a woman doing the high parts...
until I heard Steel, that is.

I had to resurrect this post!! =) I just won this CD off of eBay and Dan's cover of "Melissa" is AMAZING!!! I don't like Mercyful Fate or King Diamond mainly because of the vocals, so I downloaded the original to hear what it sounds like and I can easily declare Dan's version the superior song! It's stunning compared to the original! And those high-pitches wails at the end, HOLY SHIT!!! I didn't know Dan had it in him to do that!! Amazing!

I'd suggest everyone seek this song out. Like it was mentioned earlier, the liner notes even state: "His brilliant cover of the song "Melissa" is probably the most original and unique Mercyful Fate interpretation recorded for this tribute. This Fate classic has been completely performed and recorded by Dan Swano, which shows what an incredibly talented musician and producer he is."

Hahahaha! So true!!