Dan's voice on the new Nightingale

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Has anyone noticed how Dan's vocals on the new Nightingale album Invisible sound kinda more 'direct' compared to the last three discs (TBS was a completely different entity in its own right).

I mean the darkness factor in Dan's voice is hardly audible on this new disc, sure it sounds different and offers something cool to enjoy, but I really look forward to Dan exploring darker lyrical themes and more prog rooted music on the next Nightingale and even the Second Sky project. This album seems like a logical continuation of the Hard Rock-driven sound they started on Alive Again. No offense to these albums but I really think Dan's dark and emotional vocals fit the type of music on The Closing Chronicles and I a lot better.

Any comments?

I think it works better this way... I like them more than the darker ones, like in Star One.

it's nice with the straight forward style this time around. the only thing I'm not a true fan of vocal-wise on Invisible are the parts where Dan adds some kind of aggression/harschness but still is singing clean, happens a bit in for instance "A raincheck on my demise".

in most cases the vox on invisible own, and the parts where "EO" sings lead just slays too!

I thought his voice was GREAT on Invisible! Highlight of the album for me, by far. It's so different for him, good to see him exploring new territory. I really hope we see the dark, deep vocals of The Breathing Shadow come back somewhere, with suitably dark music to match. Invisible is very good! :)

winter-frost said:
I think this is easily his best vocal performance on any Nightingale album!!
my thoughts too!
he uses power in his voice i haven't heard before.
I think the "darker" vocals on earlier Nightingale releases sound too much like his singing through his teeth.
Don't get me wrong, I love his voice all the same, it just sounds new, fresh and powerful the way he does it on Invisible.

Got this early last week and it's been spinning non-stop. The vocals are top-notch and the addition of EO to the mix really shakes things up for me. To me the vocals are probably the strongest of the five albums and they show a range that's not been displayed on the other four releases. Don't get me wrong, I love the whole catalog, but this disc has proven to be the most immediate of the lot.

Hey, a Galactic Cowboys fan. =) What else is in your CD player these days along with Invisible? I'll be evaluating the newest Ayreon this week, pretty good so far.

Between The Closing Chronicles, Alive Again, and this one, I can't say which is best. My favorite *song* is still Alive Again, fo shizzle. That might be enough to tip TCC as my favorite. I also feel there are one or two weak tracks on Alive Again and Invisible whereas all are perfect on TCC, but then TCC only has 7 tracks so.......<shrug>

I haven't heard the new album yet, but for anything to top TBS as the #1 Nightingale would take a *lot*.....

Metal88 said:
Hey, a Galactic Cowboys fan. =) What else is in your CD player these days along with Invisible? I'll be evaluating the newest Ayreon this week, pretty good so far.
I really dig the new Ayreon. One of LaBrie's best offerings, I think. The cast is awesome, the story powerful... one of the better concept discs to come along in some time.

As for what I'm spinning lately... I've got a serious case of musical ADD...

Nightingale - Invisible (averaging three to five spins a day... at least)
EoS - Crimson II (*finally* got it... needs more attention though... see above for why it's not getting it)
Pain of Salvation - BE (still absorbing this one)
Thornley - Come Again (awesome pure hard rock record)
Blaze - Blood & Belief
War & Peace - The Walls Have Eyes (Jeff Pilson's band... and a very clear clue where all the good song ideas from Dokken originated)
Riverside - Out Of Myself (Polish prog band now w/Laser's Edge)
Monte Montgomery - Wishing Well, Mirror (this guy does jaw-dropping things with an acoustic guitar)
Hall & Oates - Our Kind of Soul (Monte Montgomery covered Sara Smile when I saw him live last week and it sent me on an H&O kick... Daryl Hall is the most soulful white man alive.)
Dead Soul Tribe - The January Tree
From The Inside - From The Inside (Italian AOR release w/Danny Vaughn on vocals...the sole reason I picked this up... very slick, cool disc)
House of Shakira - First Class (very solid AOR out of Sweden...)

So yeah, I'm all over the place lately....

Metal88 said:
Between The Closing Chronicles, Alive Again, and this one, I can't say which is best. My favorite *song* is still Alive Again, fo shizzle. That might be enough to tip TCC as my favorite. I also feel there are one or two weak tracks on Alive Again and Invisible whereas all are perfect on TCC, but then TCC only has 7 tracks so.......<shrug>
I am not at all ready to put any sort of personal ranking on "Invisible." Its getting to be that time of year where I'll listen to Nightingale all the time. Something about Fall and Winter for me with these albums, I guess. As for whether or not Invisible holds up... well, I have a feeling I'll have to order an extra copy eventually... and I'll need to do the same for the first four discs as I've played them so many times and in so many places they're quite scratched up... but I'd buy them each three times over 'cause the value and enjoyment I've gotten out of each is immeasurable.