Dan's clean and deep voice - have you ever heard another singer that sounds like him?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Honestly, the more I listen to Nightingale - The Closing Chronicles and hear Dan's clean, thick, and very deep voice the more I am inclined to believe his voice is one of a kind. This is not a poor attempt at complimenting the guy on his very message board, I posted the same thing at various at sites, but it's just that I've never heard a singer that sounds like Dan. Have YOU? See, the Nightingale stuff he did back in the mid-90's - he was only 23 or 24 when he did TCC or TBS and his voice sounds like it his at his best, most mature point? Ain't that grand?

*IF* you believe there are other singers (clean vocals) that sound like Dan, I'd be pleased to hear them.

I contacted Dan about his Unicorn albums and am looking forward to receiving them. He's so down-to-earth and always on the spot to reply your email rapidly. Very cool guy! He deserves all the support we could ever give! Thanks, Dan!

NP: Nightingale - The Closing Chronicles

First of all I think Dan's voice is awsome! He's a really good singer, even he doesn't see himself as that. Emotions and always a good line.
Don't know many that sound like him, but the Whitesnake singer on "Is this love" sounds pretty alike in the deeper parts! You should check it out. I'd like to know if you have the same feeling when listening to that song.

That would be David Coverdale... never thought he sounded like Dan before. Have you heard Ark - Burn The Sun with Jorn Lande on vocals? Now that guy sounds like Coverdale on there. :)

NP: Dream Theater - Taste The Memories International Fan Club Disc

I know that ARK album. It's very good. I like track No. 6 the most.
please listen to/download Whitesnakes "Is it love" and tell me what you think.

There are very few singers that put me in a real emotional state ... Dan is one of them ... he probably isnt the best perfect singer but who cares when you can feel sutch beautifull things

I think Andrew Eldritch from The Sisters Of Mercy is an unbelieveable singer, and has a beautiful deep voice that lends itself exceptionally well to the gothic aura of the music. Dan's cover of the Sisters' Lucretia, My Reflection is spot-on, and I think there are many similarities between the two of them.

Leonard Cohen also has a great deep voice.

When I first heard Nightingale's "I," which was my first real exposure to Dan's music I was essentially lown away. Immediately it was rants and raves and cursing out of Jim Raggi because it was then that I realized listening to him could cost me serious amounts of money.

Friends who heard me talking about Nightingale would constantly ask me what the vocals sounded like and all I could come up with is this really strange mix of David Coverdale's lower register mixed liberally with Robert Palmer. Odd, I know, but it those were the names that popped into my head while listening to"I" the first few times. David Coverdale and Robert Palmer don't exactly strike me or maybe anyone in their right mind as being two great tastes that go great together (like Peanut Butter and Chocolate), but for some reason it seems to work for me when it comes to the clean vocals. Now whether Dan'd view that as a compliment or an insult is an entirely different story....

Unicorn said:
I know that ARK album. It's very good. I like track No. 6 the most.
please listen to/download Whitesnakes "Is it love" and tell me what you think.
I've been listening to Whitesnake/Coverdale stuff ever since I was 11 or 12. "Is This Love" was actually the first song of Ws I heard. It was their major hit.

I just had to pop that disc in and check it out. Now I know what you mean. It's the deep voice coming from Coverdale that is kinda reminiscent of Dan (or vice versa). Kinda like they both have a similar throat that helps them produce the words in a similar way. :) It's just that Dan's voice sounds fuller if you know what I mean. Kinda more mid-ranged. But I see your point. Coverdale has the same deep voice going on, especially on his albums released in the 80's.

Pretty cool indeed. I would have never thought of it, unless you had pinpointed the similarity. Thanks! :)

yeah Mikael from Opeth kinda sounded like Dan on the past
but on "I" and "Alive Again" Dan sounds incredible
don't think I'm gay or anything but I'd f**k Dan
:lol:
j/k

There´s a guy called Christian Älvestam from the band Unmoored. On their Kingdoms Of Greed album there´s a song called Final State II. Check that song out.
Normally he sings with Death Metal vocals, but on that track he uses his normal voice. And it´s DAMN close to Dan´s range.... Scary!

Yeah, when Vinty isn't trying to be over-dramatic when he sings in the lower registers, there are resemblances to Dan's voice.

I still think one of Dan's best vocal performances is on Odyssey.