Dark Empire - Humanity Dethroned

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
de.jpg

Admittedly, I only gave Dark Empire's previous release, Distant Tides, a quick listen. I'm not sure why, as I really dig Jens Carlsson's vocals (Persuader, Savage Circus). However, I was intrigued enough by the sound samples on their MySpace page to download the Humanity Dethroned MP3s and throw them on my iPod*. There they sat, until I finally kicked it up the other day at the gym. Needless to say, it totally kicked my ass and has been in heavy rotation ever since.

For those unfamiliar with Dark Empire, they play technically proficient dark Metal, with Thrash and Melodic Death influences. However, unlike so many bands today, they don't find a comfortable zone and settle in. Instead, the disc evolves, from song to song, offering variety and nuance as it goes.

Jens' superb vocals are a given. He's an established artist, whose vocal work I appreciate. However, what really knocked me on my ass was Matt Moliti's guitar playing. I was only half listening to the CD when the solo on "No Sign of Life" began to play. Wow! Suffice it to say, the guy is a total bad ass.

As I alluded to earlier, I dig Jens' work with both Persuader and Savage Circus. And from a monetary perspective, I'm sure it makes sense for him to continue to focus on those bands. However, viewing it solely through the lens of musical quality, this is where his primary focus should lie. And hopefully the quality of the music therein will carry this band to a level of recognition they deserve.

If you're interested in checking them out, here's the link to their MySpace Page:

http://www.myspace.com/darkempireband

Zod

*I recently purchased the CD/T-Shirt combo.

Jens' superb vocals are a given. He's an established artist, whose vocal work I appreciate. However, what really knocked me on my ass was Matt Moliti's guitar playing. I was only half listening to the CD when the solo on "No Sign of Life" began to play. Wow! Suffice it to say, the guy is a total bad ass..

i'm pretty sure anyone who smokes weed with the pages of the giddeon bible as a roller and then is bemused by the functions of a fork (or was it a spoon?) for HOURS at 6am breakfast to the point of litterally falling off his chair and laughing hysterically is most definitely, a badass.

True story.

+1 for Humanity Dethroned and Dark Empire. Good heavy metal.

Agreed! Dark Empire are a hard-working and talented band, and I was honored to have them play at Texas Madfest. Humanity Dethroned is a monster of an album that will hopefully propel the band forward to the next level. I'm very biased, but I don't think this album or band should be cast aside as a "Savage Circus wannabe" or anything like that. They definitely stands on their own.

And the t-shirt is pretty cool, too!
:Smokedev:

i'm pretty sure anyone who smokes weed with the pages of the giddeon bible as a roller and then is bemused by the functions of a fork (or was it a spoon?) for HOURS at 6am breakfast to the point of litterally falling off his chair and laughing hysterically is most definitely, a badass.

True story.

Not sure if you are referring to Jens or Matt, but I am sure that I have been that high oh wait I am now, lol.

I don't think the latest album sounds anything like Blind Guardian. The first album was definitely in that power-thrash realm. This album is more old school death/thrash.

Jens vocals will always be reminiscent of Hansi. Whether it's something he intentionally cultivated or it's simply how he sounds naturally, is somewhat immaterial at this point. He is who he is, and I like his voice (ironically, more than Hansi's). That said, musically and lyrically, this disc bares no similarity to Blind Guardian.

Zod

Listening to Savage Circus, yes it's a BG clone.

Listening to Dark Empire, I PAY NO ATTENTION TO JENS' SIMILARITES TO HANSI. I listen to Distant Tides simply as a whoop-ass serving of thrashin-til-doomsday awesomeness. I don't "hear" Jens as sounding like Hansi when he sings with Dark Empire. Oh, and by the way, he's a quality frontman on stage, too. The boy can lead an army to battle! And WIN!

after listening to the myspace again, this is really just like straight up Power metal with some harsh vocals. I dont see no death thrash or thrash at all really. It's ok I guess.

after listening to the myspace again, this is really just like straight up Power metal with some harsh vocals. I dont see no death thrash or thrash at all really. It's ok I guess.
It's definitely not the type of disc that's to be appreciated in sound clips, as there's a fair amount of variety on the disc. Any "death" vibes, are of the MeloDeath variety. More accurately, I'd say musically it owes influence to Yngwie, Power Metal and thrash.

Zod

The first album was definitely in that power-thrash realm. This album is more old school death/thrash.
I think that's why I don't care for the new album that much, while I LOVE Distant Tides. Humanity Dethroned seems a bit too chaotic and dissonant for me...I miss that dark and shreddy power metal vibe from the debut :( Regardless, I hope this album does very well for Matt, hes a talented focker.