Dark Tranquillity "best of" cd

Tranquillian

Svartmetallist
Oct 10, 2001
Hello fellow Tranquillians.
Since I am going to see DT play at the 2000 Decibel festival next saturday, I am gonna need some road music. Therefore I am gonna make my own best of DT compilation on one 80 minute cd. What would your ultimate DT collection look like, limited to 80 minutes. All releases from Trail of life decayed to Exposures included. Thanks for reading and for your tips on songs I might overlook.

i'm too tired to do the maths, so i'll stay way below the 80' total:

- on your time
- exposure
- static
- lethe
- in tears bereaved
- feast of burden
- atom heart 243.5
- scythe, rage and roses

that's what i'm in the mood to listen to at the moment.

Personally Id definately have...

my faeryland forgotten
away delight away
mine is the grandeur...
...of melancholy burning
Sun fired blanks
nether novas
Feast of Burden
Scythe Rage and Roses
The same
Format C: for cortex
Cathode ray sunshine.
The dividing line.

I dunno what else really. Everythings so good, so you should just pick names out of a hat untill eighty minutes is done.

This is actually something that I have tried to do several times, but never have I succeeded with results that I could feel fully satisfied with - each time I believe I got it right and play through it the first time, I start to think: "I should have included that song instead of this song". And not only which songs to include, but also the order of the songs makes me tear by beard. It should start and end with some epic classics, there should be a good balance between brutality and tranquillity all the way through, etc. Also, to be truly perfect, it should have lyrical connections between the songs (these do exist, even between the albums, btw) and the different soundscapes of songs from different eras should not disturb the whole too much...

That being said, my Darkest Tranquillity collection would include at least some of the following masterpieces (in order of appearance):

- Crimson Winds
- A Bolt of Blazing Gold
- Through Ebony Archways
- Shadow Duet
- With the Flaming Shades of Fall
- Punish My Heaven
- Silence, and the Firmament Withdrew
- Edenspring
- The Gallery
- The Emptiness from which I Fed
- (Mine is the Grandeur...)...Of Melancholy Burning
- Shadowlit Facade
- Hedon
- Insanity's Crescendo
- Still Moving Sinews
- Tidal Tantrum
- UnDo Control
- To a Bitter Halt
- Sun Fired Blanks
- Nether Novas
- The Wonders at Your Feet
- Not Built to Last
- Haven
- Rundown
- Hours Passed in Exile
- Damage Done
- Cathode Ray Sunshine
- White Noise / Black Silence

Can't say anything about the "unheard" songs from Exposures yet, but there's definitely potential in some of them. As you can see, I have enormous difficulties leaving out any songs that I like a lot, so narrowing it down to mere 80 minutes is truly a pain in the ass.

Well, some day I will do it, some day...

-Villain

It's usually better to drive with fast paced music. Try putting in a few Damage Done tunes in it.

i had done such a compilation for a friend once and, ha!, i still have the file with the tracklist, so here it goes: (i had put the songs they were likely to do in a concert, so there's nothing from skydancer :erk: and possibly too many tracks from haven and damage done)

punish my heaven
final resistance
feast of burden
zodijackyl light
haven
monochromatic stains
the sun fired blanks
white noise/black silence
hedon
the wonders at your feet
the treason wall
lethe
format c: for cortex
therein
rundown
cathode ray sunshine
not built to last
insanity's crescendo

for a total of 76:33 minutes.

I don't know how you feel about this but to my mind, "razorfever" should be included as well... I really like it and it's on my 90 Minutes best-of cassette (don't have a CD-player) in my car, too. Actually, I recorded this cassette before DD was released, so it was much easier to get everything on it. I would prefer a 2-CD best of, you could switch the CD's, or do it like Miolo has done, too, and choose the songs they'll probably play live.

BTW, I'll be at Rock Hard festival in exactly 2 weeks watching DT (I'm so unbeliably HAPPY!!!), so I'll have this problem, too!!!