Darkane........News.......Or Rather.....Delayed?

Deadly Embrace

TL PREACHER
Feb 27, 2002
Bay Area
www.sfmetal.com
February 6th 2004

Site Updates
I´ve added the tabulature to the ¨Expanding Senses¨ songs ¨Parasites of the Unexplained¨ and ¨Submission¨ . Check it out at the tabs section. Two more songs and the tabs to that album will be complete! My main goal has been to complete the tabs to one album before the next one is released.

I´ve also removed the ¨Swedish section.¨

What is going on with Darkane?
Hello! I´m back from my US trip with the wife. It´s been a great trip and we had lots of fun. A special thanks goes out to Gerardo at Nuclear Blast USA for taking care of us and showing us around in Los Angeles! We had a great time!

Meanwhile, the recording of the fourth Darkane album still hasn´t started yet. The main reason is that since one year back Peter has had some serious problems with his hand wrists and hasn´t been able to play that much. On our tours and festivals last year it´s always been a question if Peter would be able to play or not, and on the last tour in November with Death Angel he was in real pain during the last shows. This has affected all of us, and the inspiration hasn´t been flowing. Fortunately we had almost completed the writing of the new album and we´re all very excited about it. Peter has also tried some new ways of getting rid of his wrist problems (acupuncture etc) and we hope for the best right now! The album will hopefully be out after the summer then.

We are also in the progress of changing webmaster for darkane.com and that´s why you haven´t seen anything new lately!

spiderman.jpg

Take care and stay metal! Malmström

For More...............

http://www.christofermalmstrom.se/

The only thrash better than Darkane's brand of thrash is Testament's take on the genre IMHO. Too bad about Peter's wrists...wonder if it's carpel tunnel or something like that.

I think this is one of those bands.....that sound so much better live!.......CD's are great, but they really do turn it up a notch live!.......I got to see them almost 30 times on the No Mercy Tour, where they were the opening band, I kept saying these guys deserve a better spot on the bill.......They were so good, every night!......And they partied, and were insane, but very nice group of guys......you know what they say Those Sweds are crazy......and its so true!

I've yet to see them live , (other than a really well-shot video I got from someone nice enough to make me a copy :) )

but I'm really pumped to see them in concert. I completely agree w/ Steiner's comments about them being up there with Testament. They are so damn musical and extremely talented musicians. So much emotion and feeling in their songs rather than just a barage of riffs. I have grown to really enjoy this band more and more and remind me of Testament in so many ways, the melodic solos that harmonize, the heavy, powerful vocals and catchy choruses. This band is the shit !

Man...another Darkane thread that isn't getting near the fucking love it deserves! What's wrong with people in here. Testament fans should be singing these guys praises every chance they get. IMHO Darkane's "Expanding Senses" album is right up there with classics like "Master Of Puppets", "Reign In Blood", "Countdown To Extinction", "The Gathering", and "The Haunted Made Me Do It".

It'd be nice if they came to the US but they'll need a major American headlining band to add them to the bill if they wanna draw. Hey Testament!!!...do yourself, your fans, and the genre a favor by finding a way to tour with Darkane. :D

Anyways...I wrote this big long post last night about all the Darkane leads that could be right out of a Testament album...but then Ultimate Metal had another one of their famous server crashes and I flushed like 45 minutes down the drain. Fuck!

Do yourself a favor and check these guys out if you haven't done so already. I've never met a Testament fan who gave these guys a listen and didn't become a gi-normous fanatic by the 3rd or 4th song. They are that good.

Any fan of Testament, and especially anybody who really liked "The Gathering" album, needs to hear "Expanding Senses".

Hostile Phantasm is my favorite song by them -- the chorus is so damn good -- what makes this band stand out is Sydow's semi-monotone clean vox screams. Nothing quite like it in all of metal.

I don't have Rusted Angel -- yet, so I don't know what the previous singer was like.

Deadly Embrace said:
I got to see them almost 30 times on the No Mercy Tour, where they were the opening band

I hate you. Okay well no, I am just damn jealous of you. Atleast I saw em once. Get better soon Peter!!!

Have you guys had a chance to hear the song "Growing Hate" by Darkane. It was on the Japanese release of ES. Very cool song. If you're starved for a Darkane new music fix it will do the trick. ;)

Yea it's a damn good song. The band seems to think it starts off okay but then it goes downhill(well Jorgen made a fart noise and gave a thumbs down after the beginning). I still say it's sick.

Insania - definitely get your hands on Rusted Angel, it is an amzing release! You can check out a really cool video of darkane in the studio recording it here: http://www.nonhumanlevel.com/studio.mpg

Steiner said:
Do yourself a favor and check these guys out if you haven't done so already. I've never met a Testament fan who gave these guys a listen and didn't become a gi-normous fanatic by the 3rd or 4th song. They are that good.

I do myself a favour and get first Darkane album Rusted Angel and must say I`m impressed, this band is really worth to hear !

Glad you like it Jimmy. Darkane is never a tough sell for Testament fans. ;)

Now go check out "Expansing Senses" and prepare to be blown away by excellent production and an even more polished sound!

Steiner said:
...Darkane is never a tough sell for Testament fans. ;)
Right on. I've now listened to Rusted Angel several times and am totally hooked.

One thing, Steiner, you mention a stong comparison to Testament -- 'Darkane leads pulled out of a Testament album'...but when I listen to Rusted Angel, with that Mackrory, I make the instant comparison to Eric's Dragonlord. Take Dragonlord, increase the thrash elements, remove the keyboards (sorry Lord Lyle;) ), and I would swear the first half of Rusted Angel would be a dead match. The vocal shrieks are so damn similiar, and the thrash riffs are something that Eric would have devised sooner or later anyway...:headbang:

One other thing -- cool how Sydow manages to keep the same vocal style in Darkane as did the first singer -- esp. the long notes on the choruses, even though they really don't sound the same.

A bad-ass band :kickass: :kickass:

Insania said:
Right on. I've now listened to Rusted Angel several times and am totally hooked.

One thing, Steiner, you mention a stong comparison to Testament -- 'Darkane leads pulled out of a Testament album'...but when I listen to Rusted Angel, with that Mackrory, I make the instant comparison to Eric's Dragonlord. Take Dragonlord, increase the thrash elements, remove the keyboards (sorry Lord Lyle;) ), and I would swear the first half of Rusted Angel would be a dead match. The vocal shrieks are so damn similiar, and the thrash riffs are something that Eric would have devised sooner or later anyway...:headbang:

One other thing -- cool how Sydow manages to keep the same vocal style in Darkane as did the first singer -- esp. the long notes on the choruses, even though they really don't sound the same.

A bad-ass band :kickass: :kickass:
You're 100% correct about that. Before the damn Ultimate Metal server crashed that one night I had a post going which listed like 5 or 6 guitar solos that I thought sounded really Testament-ish to me. There was only a total of like 1 or 2 from "Rusted Angel" and "Insanity" if I remember right. I mean it's all a matter of preference which of the 3 albums you like the most...they all kick ass...but I definately agree that "Rusted Angel" shares more similarities in sound with Dragonlord than "Expanding Senses".

To me "Insanity" picks up where the band left off with the last album, but Sydow didn't do anything to improve or worsen the band's sound. I think that was the plan..."if it ain't broke don't fix it", you know? But to me "Expanding Senses" was really where he came into his own. On top of that the music got a lot more technical. I think his take on the thrash sound is original, traditional, and groundbreaking all at the same time...which is no easy feat considering the genre turns 25 in not too long. Here's some of those Darkane solos that sound like they could have come out of a Testament album.

"Fatal Impact"...about 2:20 into the song.

"Innocence Gone"...about 2:50 into the song.

"Imaginary Entity"...about 2:20 into the song.

"Pile Of Hate"...about 2:50 into the song

"Chase For Existence"...about 2:50 into the song

There's a few more, especially on ES, but these are the ones that popped into my head. It's a sign of flattery really. Testament are the undisputed champs IMO, but Darkane has the makings of a contender. Only time will tell. Whatever the result, we still win.