Darkwave

NinjaGeek

Feb 22, 2007
I just started listening to Project Pitchfork, and I really like this stuff. Anyone else into this genre?

And for those unfamiliar, here's a sample.

Last edited by a moderator:
Project Pitchfork aren't darkwave, from what I know they're EBM (at least their latest stuff is, because that's the only stuff i've really heard). Darkwave stuff i like is Black Tape For A Blue Girl and Amber Asylum, both are awesome bands btw.

I've recently heard that only their first few albums were darkwave, don't know much about the genre myself, but I like the band.

I like a lot of bands that are often classified as darkwave but darkwave is just another in a line of ridiculously poorly defined electronic genres where no one seems to know what it actually means and which bands do and do not belong to it.

mmm well on that note.

Wikipedia says that piano, violin, flute, clarinet are common instruments in darkwave, but then of course doesn't list any bands that use them. So does anyone know some good darkwave bands that use classical instruments too? And by darkwave it can mean any kind of dark sounding electronic music I don't really care.

mmm well on that note.

Wikipedia says that piano, violin, flute, clarinet are common instruments in darkwave, but then of course doesn't list any bands that use them. So does anyone know some good darkwave bands that use classical instruments too? And by darkwave it can mean any kind of dark sounding electronic music I don't really care.

Antimatter

I like a lot of bands that are often classified as darkwave but darkwave is just another in a line of ridiculously poorly defined electronic genres where no one seems to know what it actually means and which bands do and do not belong to it.

In my opinion a lot of bands today just want to make a new genre. So they might gnarl their sound and almost destroy it just to make it unique. I was in a Dark Prog Psychedelic Electronic Funk band (with some Punk influence). It started out as a Prog band. So after about a month of being in the band they decided to take a Dark approach, I had no problem with that, so they added it on. They didn't seem to know much about Dark music because the sound didn't adhere very well. Anyway it did get us popularity. Because Gothic/Progressive/Experimental does look more interesting than Rock/Progressive/Experimental.

So we went on for maybe a couple months after that. So they (I was just the vocalist, so I didn't have much say) decided to add Funk, because if Funk was there too it would look more interesting. It was messed up in my opinion because I don't think any of the members liked Funk. But it screwed up our sound quite a bit. We got a little bit more listens, but less fans. So then they decided we didn't get enough attention. And we should look to Pink Floyd and Hendrix for a nice Psychedelic sound. Combining those 4 sounds was bad enough. But in a week they decided to get rid of our drummer and use beat making programs to make looped beats, and get a keyboardist. So they formed the Dark Prog Psychedelic Electronic Funk band (with some Punk influence). Which really sucked at that point. So I left.

In my opinion a lot of bands today just want to make a new genre. So they might gnarl their sound and almost destroy it just to make it unique. I was in a Dark Prog Psychedelic Electronic Funk band (with some Punk influence). It started out as a Prog band. So after about a month of being in the band they decided to take a Dark approach, I had no problem with that, so they added it on. They didn't seem to know much about Dark music because the sound didn't adhere very well. Anyway it did get us popularity. Because Gothic/Progressive/Experimental does look more interesting than Rock/Progressive/Experimental.

So we went on for maybe a couple months after that. So they (I was just the vocalist, so I didn't have much say) decided to add Funk, because if Funk was there too it would look more interesting. It was messed up in my opinion because I don't think any of the members liked Funk. But it screwed up our sound quite a bit. We got a little bit more listens, but less fans. So then they decided we didn't get enough attention. And we should look to Pink Floyd and Hendrix for a nice Psychedelic sound. Combining those 4 sounds was bad enough. But in a week they decided to get rid of our drummer and use beat making programs to make looped beats, and get a keyboardist. So they formed the Dark Prog Psychedelic Electronic Funk band (with some Punk influence). Which really sucked at that point. So I left.

I'm not suprised they haven't really gotten that far. A band that knows what they're doing should stick with a sound THEY like, not what they think other people might like. Resorting to styles of music you don't even like to garner a larger fan-base is pretty lame.. Good move quiting that band.

Anyways, to the poster of the thread, if you like Project Pitchfork, you should check out Velvet Acid Christ. They both kind of fall under the Electro/Industrial umbrella.