Dave Grohl on Music @ Grammys

Yeah yeah recording in his garage yeah yeah... API console , Barefoot monitors and Butch as producer haha. There is a BIIIG thread about his statement on Gearslutz.
And yeah it is edited, and got tuned vocals even though it is recorded to tape

Regardless he's credible or not, what i love the most is how a lot of those who he is implicitely criticizing are in this very same room applauding

I think there is some definite value saying that in the current industry.
I'm sure we can all agree with the main message, and respect the fact Dave took his Grammy moment to bring it up rather than just reading a thank you list.

I absolutely loved that he performed on stage with Paul McCartney on international TV while wearing a Slayer shirt.

The irony of him saying what he said in front of an audience, where half of the "artists" blurp some stuff through auto-tune was just amazing.

Things are bound to change anyway, even by the simple fact that people will get bored by songs where there's more production tricks than music

Good responses guys. I agree with alot of what you all said. Granted, Dave did have a really nice "basement" studio. Regardless of if his record was edited, it wasn't to the extreme of alot else that is out there. I think that was his main point

Dave and the rest of Foo Fighters have massive amounts of talent, period. To not agree with that is pure ignorance. Whether you like FF or not you can't say that they aren't masters of their craft.

Yeah yeah recording in his garage yeah yeah... API console , Barefoot monitors and Butch as producer haha. There is a BIIIG thread about his statement on Gearslutz.
And yeah it is edited, and got tuned vocals even though it is recorded to tape

Your fucking point? Does it really matter if anything was edited or not? Regardless the songwriting on the album is flawless, and it still took an amazing amount of talent to perform those songs with the feel that they have, no editing in the world could recreate.

With the topic of tuning vocals, just listen to "The Colour And The Shape" or backing vocals on "Nevermind", back when vocal tuning didn't exist, Dave can sing so I really don't get your point.

Editing a few guitar solo's together to get the perfect take is miles away from putting each and every single fucking noise that comes out of your mouth through motherslutcrackin' autotune and saying WOO!! I CAN SIIINGG!

Your fucking point? Does it really matter if anything was edited or not? Regardless the songwriting on the album is flawless, and it still took an amazing amount of talent to perform those songs with the feel that they have, no editing in the world could recreate.

With the topic of tuning vocals, just listen to "The Colour And The Shape" or backing vocals on "Nevermind", back when vocal tuning didn't exist, Dave can sing so I really don't get your point.

I think his point is that anyone not practicing what they preach should take a step back and look at what they're doing.

I'm sure many of the artists at the Grammys can sing just fine without auto-tune too. When you make it a point to champion the qualities of analogue recording approaches, and start talking about what's 'real', perhaps it's best to actually follow through.

There is a BIIIG thread about his statement on Gearslutz.

That thread was funny. As soon as I saw someone say that Wasting Light didn't compete in the 'loudness war' I remembered why I don't post there anymore. Hearing so many champion it as the rock release of 2011 also made me realize that our expectations for music have really gone down hill in recent times.

I think his point is that anyone not practicing what they preach should take a step back and look at what they're doing.
I'm sure many of the artists at the Grammys can sing just fine without auto-tune too. When you make it a point to champion the qualities of analogue recording approaches, and start talking about what's 'real', perhaps it's best to actually follow through.
Exactly. By all accounts Dave is a great guy and a great talent but he lacks some self awareness here. He had a related speech about "recording in his basement" (studio 606--granted this is the west coast incarnation) and it's as chuckle worthy now as it was then.
That doesn't detract from whatever skill or talent he has--it doesn't even undermine his point-- but there's still some irony there. But there is also some irony in most of the dudes on this forum complaining about this stuff too.

That thread was funny. As soon as I saw someone say that Wasting Light didn't compete in the 'loudness war' I remembered why I don't post there anymore. Hearing so many champion it as the rock release of 2011 also made me realize that our expectations for music have really gone down hill in recent times.

What would you say was the best rock release in 2011? I thought "Wasting Light" was quite good.

The slayer shirt rocked! I think was to add credibility that they were nominated for "best hard rock/metal performance". I did think that was cutting it close though...