DAVE GROHL Pays Tribute To GWAR's DAVE BROCKIE At FOO FIGHTERS' Crowdfunded Concert I

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Dave Grohl paid tribute to late GWAR frontman Dave Brockie (a.k.a. Oderus Urungus) during FOO FIGHTERS' crowdfunded concert last night (Wednesday, September 17) in Richmond, Virginia.Brockie, who was based in Richmond, died in March of an accidental heroin overdose. He was 50 years old.Said Grohl at one point during last night's show (see video below): "One of the greatest compliments, or non-compliments, I've ever gotten in my life… I remember seeing this interview [see video below] with Dave Brockie where they asked Brockie about [GWAR's] Grammy nomination, and somehow, he made his way to me, and he said, 'Dave Grohl, he's actually had teeth removed so he could fit more Grammy dicks in his fucking mouth.' So, right now, I've gotta give it up for Brockie. C'mon, let's give it up for Brockie."FOO FIGHTERS' concert in Richmond was held at the 1,500-capacity venue called the National. Earlier this year, local fans launched a campaign to get the band to come to the city by selling 1,400 tickets at $50 a pop — before they even knew if the group would do it. The FOOs agreed to the gig in June.Attendance was limited to those who bought tickets during the initial crowdfunding campaign, but two local businesses — Brown's Volkswagen and Sugar Shack Donuts — gave away the tickets they each earned from donating $5,000 apiece to the campaign.The campaign was launched in March by Andrew Goldin, a freelance creative director and copywriter, who sought to bring the band back to his hometown for their first show in Richmond since 1998.Goldin and three fellow organizers set their goal of selling 1,400 tickets at $50 each in order to convince the band to return. Donors' credit cards would only be charged if the show sold out, and the contributions would be returned if the band didn't agree to play.FOO FIGHTERS' eighth album, "Sonic Highways", is due out on November 10.Brockie was the second member of GWAR to die within the past three years. Guitarist Cory Smoot, who played the character Flattus Maximus, died of a heart attack on the band's tour bus in November 2011 at the age of 34.Brockie was the last remaining original member of GWAR, which was founded 30 years ago. The satirical metal band earned a following for its macabre, over-the-top costumes, offensive lyrics and graphic, gore-soaked shows, in which the band members performed as the descendants of alien warriors who arrived on Earth to enslave and slaughter the human race. GWAR released its 13th album, "Battle Maximus", last year.

More...