Dave Lombardo & the new Slayer

I think the album is great. It's not my favorite production for the band, but honestly it doesn't bother me at all. Certainly doesn't keep me from enjoying the album.

Jeez, you guys are too damn picky. :lol:

Christ Illusion was awesome too.

If you just don't like Slayer I can understand that, but I don't understand how a Slayer fan could not like the last 2 albums (with the exception of just a couple weak songs).

I think the album is great. It's not my favorite production for the band, but honestly it doesn't bother me at all. Certainly doesn't keep me from enjoying the album.

Jeez, you guys are too damn picky. :lol:

Christ Illusion was awesome too.

If you just don't like Slayer I can understand that, but I don't understand how a Slayer fan could not like the last 2 albums (with the exception of just a couple weak songs).

+666

I mean, I'm a big SOH/Seasons/DI-era Slayer fan, but I really don't see the fuzz about Lombardo's drumming here? Sounds like he always sounds, which in comparison to other drummers today isn't really that impressive.

The song Felix posted just whirled by me without me noticing anything special from either vocals, guitars or drums. Will check out the album though, cause song-wise it does sound rather classic ...

I mean, I'm a big SOH/Seasons/DI-era Slayer fan, but I really don't see the fuzz about Lombardo's drumming here? Sounds like he always sounds, which in comparison to other drummers today isn't really that impressive.

The song Felix posted just whirled by me without me noticing anything special from either vocals, guitars or drums. Will check out the album though, cause song-wise it does sound rather classic ...

His drumming sounds a shit load better than Paramore, Killswitch, Michael Jackson etc ......:heh:

hahaha

dave lombardo sux :Smug:

his drum fills and playing are random as hell (in a bad way) and unorganized and he is not tight

I watched a few drum clinics he did and i was not impressed
the only CD that i think is his best work that didnt sound to much like dave lombardo jerking off behind the kit was The gathering

Hahahaha come on dude, be fair. This can´t be serious. If you are Gene Hoglan himself, I´d maybe accept your critics :) Not tight?

slayercannibalsuffohead: I was talking of other drummers in the more heavy genres of metal. How you can even bring bands like Paramore and MJ into this discussion dumbfounds me ...

To easy mate, dont take offence, just fucking around! :)
Seriously though, Lombardo is a legend. I love that he has no "Andy Sneap" kick samples and Jeff and Kerry havent chased that "Killswitch, Nevermore" tone. Its a breath of fresh air to hear tunes over production, like Suffos self titled album, or Maidens Piece of Mind. Slayer are having a harder time year after year to try and please more fans than most metal bands put together, and for me the newy is a big win, in writing and production!

I am listening to the album now and I think I'd actually like the songs, but I'm on the 5th song now and I wanna turn it off due to the smashed, non-dynamic shit sound.

Albums like this really confirm my decision to keep my own records between -14dbRMS and -10dbRMS ...

I am listening to the album now and I think I'd actually like the songs, but I'm on the 5th song now and I wanna turn it off due to the smashed, non-dynamic shit sound.

Albums like this really confirm my decision to keep my own records between -14dbRMS and -10dbRMS ...

Yeah, thats cool. I just listen to the tunes, like when I was 16, never thought about production and mastering and all that jazz! Just bought the album, sat down and enjoyed the fuck out of it because of the song, not the gloss.

That was my problem, too. I don´t wanna listen to it loudly while sitting directly in front of the speakers. It fucking hurts my ears. Hate those weird guitar frequences. I just listen to it bloody quietly :zombie: But I have to listen to it..i´m addicted.

slayercannibalsuffohead: no, actually I'm not even thinking about the production. I am listening on my tiny MacBook speakers and for the first 3 songs I thought "Hey, that doesn't sound half as bad as the Sneapsters are saying, I guess they mixed it for small speakers", but I just get more and more annoyed the longer the album is playing. Dynamics are so important on a subconscious level ... even if you are extreme metal ... or ESPECIALLY then ...

I love the production. Instead of competing with all the metalcore bands on who's got the most brutal tone, they went the other way. Most of you guys won't get it, cause you're really young, but Slayer were never about the distortion.

Killer album, their best since Seasons.

But I think Slayer sounded much better at the Rib, Soh, Sita time. Especially South of Heaven is an awesome clear and clean production, but brutal though. I would be happy like a small kid, if the new Slayer or the new Metallica sounded as good as SOH..god damn it! What is happening in some studios nowadays?

Killer album, their best since Seasons.

+1000

I dig filthy production, for fucking sure, what I personally cannot handle is really loud, over-compressed, clipping albums. Filthy, nasty, dirty mixes are mutually exclusive to filthy, nasty, dirty mastering. There's only one album I've heard get away with monstrous amounts of clipping and that's Converge - Jane Doe. But that's all analogue.

Preampdude: I am 34 this Friday and I don't mind the general sound of the record. It sounds like Slayer. Thin guitars, vocals on top, drums very prominent, rumbling bass playing exactly the root notes only. It's all cool. Problem is that it' so smashed and loud that my subconscious doesn't want to listen to it for longer than 20 minutes ...

Preampdude: I am 34 this Friday and I don't mind the general sound of the record. It sounds like Slayer. Thin guitars, vocals on top, drums very prominent, rumbling bass playing exactly the root notes only. It's all cool. Problem is that it' so smashed and loud that my subconscious doesn't want to listen to it for longer than 20 minutes ...

Ain't nothing subconscious about it dude. It's just that really compressed sounds are unnatural to human ears.
We are used to hearing contrasts between loud and soft everywhere we go. If everything was the same volume constantly maybe this practice would make more sense, but that's not how us humans hear things. I dunno if it's a matter of it being subconscious. When I hear a loud album I *CONSCIOUSLY* don't wanna listen to it for long haha.

But look at it this way. Filthy production I'm sure most of us can handle.
Cynic - Focus is diiiirty
What it isn't is smashed.
Machine Head - The Blackening is clipping like fuck
what it isn't is dirty.

People need to start realising that a dirty, filthy mix for dirty bands don't need to be smashed to fuck at mastering for extra filth. If anything filthy bands need quieter masters IMO.