Dave Lombardo & the new Slayer

They sounded AWFUL live on that Rockstar Mayhem tour this summer. Couldnt even listen to it.

Day 8: final day of guitar tracking.

Producer: "Okay man, thats a wrap."

Hannemann looks down at his guitar...Sees the pickup selector was in the middle position for the past week.

Producer: "Jeff, are you okay? You have gone pale."

Hanemann: "Fine...nothing..wrong..all good. See ya!" (door slams, squealing tires)

:lol:

There are some really strong songs on this one and I even appreciate the guitar sound. Just good to hear something fresh once in a while. So I end up turning the music up a notch and then I start wondering how that assclown Fidelman still gets any business. Death Magnetic all over again. Fingers all crossed for WPB Guitar Hero :loco:

I saw an interview with Slayer where they were asked about choosing Fidelman after Death Magnetic sound fiasco and they didn't know what it was all about. They thought the man was asking about Metallica going soft and all... They weren't aware of the whole mastering issue.

On a positive side, Araya is a monster on this record (vocally). Unlike screamers from modern bands you can tell he moves a lot of air... He's really powerful and loud. No need for doubling or wall of sound bullshit. And the way he attacks the sound... amazing.

... And it's great that it's not only constant screaming this time!

I think it would be great if there was a Guitar Hero version of the album. No, I don't play the game but I always listen to the GH mixes/masters of Death Magnetic. :heh:

They sound so much better, it's not funny.

Yeah this is right. Still far away from a high ploished album, but Death Magnetic is tolerable, when listening to the GH version. But I think in Slayers case, there were much weird elements with purpose..for example the strange pick up choice and the lack of distortion.

As several people have said, my first impression is that the songs are actually quite good - definitely better than 'Christ Illusion' and probably better than most of the stuff on 'God Hates Us All' too. There's some melody, some proper riffs (rather than just atonal grind). Tom Araya sounds fantastic too, really varied and interesting - the middle section of 'Human Strain' is brilliant.

The mix isn't as bad as I'd been fearing, it's just very different to most of the stuff around now. The drums, bass and vocals sound fine (though I've never liked a Slayer kick sound, and this one keeps up that tradition), but the guitars do sound really odd. I'd say they're under-gained - at the start of 'Snuff' there's barely enough sustain to keep them going. And I don't know about the pickup/position choice; to my ears it they almost have that Tele sound to them. The only metal band I can think of with a similar tone and twang is Unsane, but they make it work and Slayer fail miserably.

The other weird thing is how dry it all is. Most bands spend ages trying to sound huge, especially with the drums, but this CD sounds really small close. Even the snare sounds bone dry. It's like they took Rubin's advice from 'Reign In Blood' about turning the 'verb down on the guitars and applied it to everything.

Steve

Still lovin this album...

My favorite slayer production is till diablous in musica. record sounds sooo crusty and evil. Very underated in my opinion. My fave next to seasons...

As several people have said, my first impression is that the songs are actually quite good - definitely better than 'Christ Illusion' and probably better than most of the stuff on 'God Hates Us All' too. There's some melody, some proper riffs (rather than just atonal grind). Tom Araya sounds fantastic too, really varied and interesting - the middle section of 'Human Strain' is brilliant.

The mix isn't as bad as I'd been fearing, it's just very different to most of the stuff around now. The drums, bass and vocals sound fine (though I've never liked a Slayer kick sound, and this one keeps up that tradition), but the guitars do sound really odd. I'd say they're under-gained - at the start of 'Snuff' there's barely enough sustain to keep them going. And I don't know about the pickup/position choice; to my ears it they almost have that Tele sound to them. The only metal band I can think of with a similar tone and twang is Unsane, but they make it work and Slayer fail miserably.

The other weird thing is how dry it all is. Most bands spend ages trying to sound huge, especially with the drums, but this CD sounds really small close. Even the snare sounds bone dry. It's like they took Rubin's advice from 'Reign In Blood' about turning the 'verb down on the guitars and applied it to everything.

Steve

Well spoken, dude! Good thread contribution :kickass: I agree with your points. I don´t have problems with drums, bass and vocals, but the guitars are weird. The record is dry like a some days old biscuit. I don´t like Fidelman´s work..Death Magnetic was a catastrophe, too. Even the GH3 version is far away being excellent.

Got it this morning ( amazon sent it two days ago)
Well, I love the mood of the album, the attitude of the songs.
The drums sound really natural but REALLY DRY.
The guitars...well, really tight for such undergained sound, kerry proves he's one of the tightest players ( he recorded all the rhythm tracks, october guitar world). However, I'm not very fond of the sound of them, to me their best sounding records are Undisputed Attitude and RIB.
The bass is weird, it doesn't add any bottom end, only nastyness :erk:

And I miss some reverb, even the vocals are bone dry :err:

Edit: OMG the milf in the first chapter of the short film

Great songs but mix sounds too weird (guitars have not to have the modern sound, but at least they have to sound good) and the mastering is totally fucked up....bah

i reckon the album after next will be acoustic judging the trend of how much gain has dropped off between CI and WPB ;-)

listen to this on a proper stereo (car stereo, monitors, etc) and you'll never want to listen to it again. drums are dry as fuck, sitting on top of the mix, with the cymbals being painful due to all the treble. guitars are massively undergained. the master is completely squashed.

It's amazing how similar this cd sounds to Death Magnetic.
yeah, cos fidelman is mixing/producing it. squashing it to all fuckery like dm.

listen to this on a proper stereo (car stereo, monitors, etc) and you'll never want to listen to it again. drums are dry as fuck, sitting on top of the mix, with the cymbals being painful due to all the treble. guitars are massively undergained. the master is completely squashed.

yeah, cos fidelman is mixing/producing it. squashing it to all fuckery like dm.

since when are ICE and monitors "proper stereos"?:lol:

4K£ of audiophile HiFi is a good listening source which i use regularly and i still want to listen to this album over and over again. Its good , its metal and not trying to be anything else. :headbang:

Its good , its metal and not trying to be anything else. :headbang:

My point exactly - it's not about sounding like every other band. Keep your sound alike modern metal band out of my Slayer. Don't get me wrong, sound alike metal bands are fun to listen to as well, but not when I want to listen to FUCKEN Slayer!!!!!!:kickass::kickass::kickass::headbang::headbang::headbang:

I want my Slayer raw, natural sounding, Kerry King slapping his fingers everywhere on the fretboard and calling it a solo, and Tom Araya's immediately recognizable voice, and nothing else needs to be said about Dave's drumming. I want my Slayer just as they come - unapologetic for who they are.