David Cronenberg

Dude, have you ever used hard drugs, heroin, coke, crack, injected any of these? Have you ever been addicted to any of these drugs yourself? And have you ever been with or lived around other people who use? If not, you really don't understand the meaning of the word, "junkie".

Spider was deffo an interesting film, tho I didn't find it that, umm.. complex or the-ultimate-answer-about-twisted-mind like. It was merely a story about a sad life of a schitzophrenic man told really good and in-depth. Ralph Fiennes was terrific in it. Shivers was excellent when I saw it a long time ago, took a little twist in zombieish genre. How come none has mentioned one of the best Stephen King adaptions, The Dead Zone with Christopher Walken?

oh and talking about Cronenberg, has anyone seen the canadian end of the world -movie Last Night in which he has a small role? Really good down-to-earth take on that subject.

Speaking of Strange movies, we french were lucky for christmas! A Dario Argento package was released, five DVDs for just 25 euros: Suspiria, Phenomena, Tenebrae, Cat o Nine Tails and the bird with Cristal Plumage. I had a gorgeous Argento week in December.
Suspiria is one of the finest movie ever for me. Does anyone in this forum is interested in Argento too?

I've read much about him, but haven't been lucky enough to catch any of his movies. Been planning to buy atleast Suspiria for like a year and half now, eh.

5 dvds for 25e, holy crap! :eek: Are they of any quality those dvds? I know some his films have been released with proper a/v quality, in uk atleast.

Yeah 25 euros! I was desperately searching for Suspiria and would have paid 40 euros to have it.
But luckily i have 4 other ones for 25 euros.

Suspiria is awesome. Really you should see it. It is my favorite. A real fairytale in fact. Dark, horrific, showing the fight between innocence and evil. A must see! Grandiose as we say in french
And yes, the quality is good!

crash - i've read the novel. a perfect depiction of where our society is heading and how are tastes, desires gonna TWIST. wow

nicolas - best on these forums is an argento freak. i've seen "sleepless" with him and im finally gonna watch "deep red" tonight. but i must say sleepless made me laugh and bored the hell out of me.

i definitely need to see suspiria before drawing a conclusion about argento

Nicolas said:
Yeah 25 euros! I was desperately searching for Suspiria and would have paid 40 euros to have it.
But luckily i have 4 other ones for 25 euros.

Suspiria is awesome. Really you should see it. It is my favorite. A real fairytale in fact. Dark, horrific, showing the fight between innocence and evil. A must see! Grandiose as we say in french
And yes, the quality is good!

What???? 25 euros for the master Argento, i definetaly need to get that package, is there a online store i could buy it or a french amazon.com, i cant believe how lucky you guys are

Don Corleone said:
crash - i've read the novel. a perfect depiction of where our society is heading and how are tastes, desires gonna TWIST. wow

nicolas - best on these forums is an argento freak. i've seen "sleepless" with him and im finally gonna watch "deep red" tonight. but i must say sleepless made me laugh and bored the hell out of me.

i never understood why you were bored in sleepless, it was the film that got me in argento, i admit that acting is bad except for max von sydow but you have to bear with that in a cult horror film. For Suspiria, it has a great atmosphere, incredible effective use of light and colors and great camera work, everybody should watch it!!! Suspiria Suspiria Suspiria

best said:
i never understood why you were bored in sleepless, it was the film that got me in argento, i admit that acting is bad except for max von sydow but you have to bear with that in a cult horror film. For Suspiria, it has a great atmosphere, incredible effective use of light and colors and great camera work, everybody should watch it!!! Suspiria Suspiria Suspiria

i cant say anything about suspiria. i havent seen it yet.

as for sleepless: tell me one, single original thing in that movie that could make it "big." it was an OK movie. nothing to exaggerate.

Don Corleone said:

Tell me what you thought about Deep Red, some say it is the Best Argento movie. Personnally i like it but not that much. If you see several Argento movies, you will see that the guy has its obsessions, here are two of them:

- the impossibility for us to rely on our senses. In almost all Argento movies, at the beginning of the movie the hero is literrally "seeing" the murderer or something that leads directly to him, that's the case in deep red, that's the case in Suspiria and in lots of others. All through the movie, the main character will have to work on himself hard to analyse his own perception. At the end of the movie, he will always have a flashback and will succeed in analysing his perception to find the murderer.

- the impossibility to act. In almost all Argento's movie, there is a confrontation between the hero and the murderer somewhere in the movie but the main character is unable to have control on himself and block the murderer. The best example is in Opera where the girl is obliged to see all murders without having the possibility to act.

In fact Argento illustrates the way we are unable to act on things and to rely on our senses. There are also lots of other themes in his movies, this is fascinating...

best said:
What???? 25 euros for the master Argento, i definetaly need to get that package, is there a online store i could buy it or a french amazon.com, i cant believe how lucky you guys are
I think that all packages have been sold now. Well, give it a try to www.TF1video.fr, you can buy all of Argento at a low price

Don Corleone said:
i cant say anything about suspiria. i havent seen it yet.

as for sleepless: tell me one, single original thing in that movie that could make it "big." it was an OK movie. nothing to exaggerate.

i didnt say it was a masterpiece or anything, in fact its a film that makes small references to his other films. Overall it was a good film and you cant ignore argento's mastery in technique. Every director has one great film and thats supiria for argento, at least i think that way.

Nicolas said:
Tell me what you thought about Deep Red, some say it is the Best Argento movie. Personnally i like it but not that much. If you see several Argento movies, you will see that the guy has its obsessions, here are two of them:

- the impossibility for us to rely on our senses. In almost all Argento movies, at the beginning of the movie the hero is literrally "seeing" the murderer or something that leads directly to him, that's the case in deep red, that's the case in Suspiria and in lots of others. All through the movie, the main character will have to work on himself hard to analyse his own perception. At the end of the movie, he will always have a flashback and will succeed in analysing his perception to find the murderer.

- the impossibility to act. In almost all Argento's movie, there is a confrontation between the hero and the murderer somewhere in the movie but the main character is unable to have control on himself and block the murderer. The best example is in Opera where the girl is obliged to see all murders without having the possibility to act.

In fact Argento illustrates the way we are unable to act on things and to rely on our senses. There are also lots of other themes in his movies, this is fascinating...

i agree on these, specailly the second one, i quess its one of the reasons why his movies are so scary. BTW, does anybody listen to soundtracks of argento films, most of the time they are by an italian prog rock band named Goblin. I think they are an incredible band.