David leaves Adagio

Prog Maiden

Mar 1, 2003
Wayne, PA
Visit site
Adagio separates from David Readman

"It's with great regret that we have to announce that David Readman is no longer the singer of Adagio.
Before anything else, I would like to mention that this decision has nothing to do with our personal feelings with David. We've been great friends, we had a lot of fun together but it was clear that a longer collaboration with Bottom Row (David's management) would have killed the band in no time.
I will not go into details, but all I can say, is that each new show, studio album or new project have been subject to really unpleasant negotiations, under the threat of being blocked many times and it was not possible for us to work under such a permanent pressure anymore.

We've done all the possible to keep on working with David, but after few years, we've decided to stop making compromises, and to finally take the best decision for Adagio's future.

We have now to move forward, and so we're looking for a new singer.

As the band has a lot of upcoming things going on like the Prog power fest in Atlanta in September and the recordings of the next album before the end of the year, some auditions will take place very soon.
So, if you're living in Europe, you have a great voice and above all, if you think you have your chances to become the new singer of Adagio, then please send :
-1 good quality MP3 representative of your voice
-A short bio
-2 recent pictures
adagio.management@wanadoo.fr

All demos will be listened, and if you're selected for an audition, you will receive an e-mail confirmation within one week.
All the e-mails have to be sent before August 10th.

Thanks a lot for your understanding and support

Adagio

What a sad day... I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy them at Progpower now, that is if they are still going to play at all. First Sun Caged and now this. :erk:

That is pretty damn sad that the promoter of the event in which they are talking about isn't even informed first by the band, but by someone else on the forum.

I hope they still play progpower, but if not, do you have any good back ups Glenn?

Brent

Wow...that was unexpected...bummer!

Hey Glenn, maybe you can take all the pieces of bands (Sun Caged, Adagio, Savatage, etc) and the special guests and put together an All-Star Jam to open the show Saturday night. :loco:

:Smokin:

Man...that's a shame...Readman really rocks...but evidently he has his management squeeze blood for his talents...

Unbelievable...and where does that leave the PPUSA crowd...

As a band, they might completely flounder...or...look at it this way...we might be one of the first to witness a completely new groundbreaking era for this band...and one day look back and say....WE WERE THERE!

See, I have learned optimisim from Bryan316...i hope it doesn't turn me into a pussy.

By the way...I do like the idea of an All-Star Jam...but shit...I wouldn't worry about Adagio's presence at the festival. I have a feeling that the fans will be more than happy to soak up their unique style and material, even if they're breaking in a new singer.

I was looking forward to meeting Readman, though...love those PC69 albums!

Rock on!

I'm NOT gonna turn you into a pussy! *grumble grumblebeeotchgrumble*

Damn! Like... damn! That REALLY screws up a lot of stuff for them! And with such short notice, that's a real killer for this band.

Now somebody... with a little more knowledge, explain to me... why a singer needs to have separate management from the rest of the band? Is David like, a singer-for-hire with multiple bands? Or is this a show of arrogance? I just don't get it.

Man... mebbe I should learn the songs quickly and help em out.... HEY! GLENN! Adagio Karaoke! Fans jump on stage, and sing whichever song they can sing, with the band!! It'd be a live audition! the crowd votes who gets to join the band!

I'm going to bed now before any more stoopid shit is spoken by myself....

:ill:

David was good, but he wasn't amazing. I saw a live boot of him and he really sucks live. He completely botched some notes, and overall was flat. Plus, he sounded too much like Russell Allen, which only added to the really unfair SymX/Adagio rip off comparisons.

So does this mean David will be concentrating more with Pink Cream 69 or maybe some other side project like a solo album?

Dang !! That's some bad news. I guess it's time to contact Udo. :err: Ha ha ha j/k. Shit happens, but Glenn always manages to get things covered. I have confidence that either Adagio finds a quick replacement and brings him up to speed or that Glenn already has a backup plan and will bring another quility act in their place.

Bryant

Bryan316 said:
Now somebody... with a little more knowledge, explain to me... why a singer needs to have separate management from the rest of the band? Is David like, a singer-for-hire with multiple bands? Or is this a show of arrogance? I just don't get it.
David was with Pink Cream 69 before he joined Adagio, so he already had management. The Adagio album credits say that David appears courtesy of Pink Cream 69. He is definitely not arrogant; I've met him twice and he is one of the friendliest, nicest musicians that I have ever met.

Yngvai X said:
David was good, but he wasn't amazing. I saw a live boot of him and he really sucks live. He completely botched some notes, and overall was flat.
David does NOT suck live. I flew to Germany and saw him perform with Pink Cream 69, and he was amazing. Was this an Adagio bootleg? If so, keep in mind that the band hasn't played live that much. Not everything is going to be perfect right away.

Yngvai X said:
David was good, but he wasn't amazing. I saw a live boot of him and he really sucks live. He completely botched some notes, and overall was flat. Plus, he sounded too much like Russell Allen, which only added to the really unfair SymX/Adagio rip off comparisons.
I don't see how he can suck in one breath and be compared to Russell in the next. Plus I have a live official Adagio cd, and he is pretty on point to me.

nightwish58 said:
I don't see how he can suck in one breath and be compared to Russell in the next. Plus I have a live official Adagio cd, and he is pretty on point to me.
Maybe he doesn't like Russ either? Tone deaf?

Anyway, I've heard 'A Band In Upperworld' too. And Readman sounds excellent throughout. Who knows? Maybe he had a bad night on Yngvai X's purported bootleg. Or maybe he had a cold. Anyone can have an off night now and again. But if what I've heard on 'A Band In Upperworld' is any indication, then he is awe inspiring live.

You can't always judge an "official" live CD next to a bootleg, simply because theres the possibility of overdubbing/editing, etc that is on an "official" live release. Case in point: on Dream Theater's Live at the Marquee ALL of James' vocals were recorded in a studio. Bands want to sound the absolute best on their live albums, thats why. This is one reason why the Children of Bodom Tokyo Warhearts album is really cool, cause they DIDN'T edit or overdub anything, and you can in fact hear them make some mistakes on it.

And the comparison to Russell was based off of the tonal characteristics/range of his voice and his studio performance rather than the live boot. I love Russ' voice, plus Russ is dead on live.

Yngvai X said:
You can't always judge an "official" live CD next to a bootleg, simply because theres the possibility of overdubbing/editing, etc that is on an "official" live release.
Yes, but I heard David live when I went to Germany to see Pink Cream 69, and that was definitely live. He sounded amazing.

This totaly sucks for Adagio and I was also looking forward to IE! I think they will find a suitable replacement, I have sent a message to their manager for some possible replacements to help them out albeit I think if they choose them it will be temporary.

There is a possibility that they might get someone local because of the rehearsal. It will be hard to replace David but I think the band will do just fine. \m/ \m/

Cheers, Tony