Day in the life of Wayne Petroskey, our festival "Stage Manager"

miel

Mrs. Harvester
Staff member
Feb 17, 2009
Wayne’s main focus is setting up the stage and managing the crew to ensure sets run smoothly. He also makes certain bands are comfortable, as they’re often on gear they don’t normally use (rentals), on a brand-new stage they aren’t familiar with, in a country they often have never visited, and without their own normal crew.

Stage setup usually consists of the following:

- Building and setting up the drum riser
- Loading-in rented backline (all amps, etc.)
- Ensuring we have the appropriate voltage converters for European bands utilizing their own gear
- Ensuring we have enough power drops on stage
- Keeping a clean stage and good audio signal feed to the recording studio backstage
- Dialing in amp sounds
- Tuning back-up guitars

When does your day start/end?
"Typically 8am, until 2am or so. But, sometimes you even get gear or band questions in the Courtyard as well."

Example of some of Wayne's additional duties:

- Assisting bands/crews in getting their gear into and out of the venue
- Tying in with Center Stage personnel, Glenn and bands as far as set times & operation
- Coordinating logistics with managers, band members, and techs as well (this typically starts in June!)
- Explaining how our fest works/runs
- Communicating what venue gear is available (backline, lighting, sound, video, recording, etc)
- Coordinating production requests

What exactly happens at change over in between sets?

"Typically reset the drum kit for the drummer, change amps and plug in any pedals, adjust the amp sound for the band, get monitor levels. Some bands, depending on where they are in the lineup, may request a backline change (amps moved to side, small risers, etc). We accommodate those requests as best we can. And lately – dialing in in-ear mixes."

What's the main reason/cause for delays?
"Thankfully – it is never a physical stage layout change (in our control). Most of the time, it will be an in-ear patch, or a specific channel patch change request from a band. In other words – all the lines need to be swapped out. If you do that for one band, you also need to swap back for the fest, so any change kills you twice. Also – occasionally – a band’s gear (or backline stuff) may crap out suddenly, and we have to scramble for a replacement."

What potential problems do you and your crew work to prevent?

"Gear failures and loss of clean signal to the studio, as well as having back-up cables or instruments if a string breaks or a wireless unit fails. Or making sure no one accidently walks far enough away from their amp to unplug it." ;o)

"We have replaced parts in pedals, rewired pickups, swapped tubes in amps, repaired a straplock that pulled out of a bass, setup a new/never tried guitar so it would stay in tune for a video shoot, and troubleshot a new-in-box amp that showed up dead for an endorsee. And last year, after changing a broken string, tuning a guitar, and then getting it back to the guitarist, I went behind a bass cabinet and held his cable in so he wouldn’t unplug it. My head was against the bass cab for 2 full songs! lol"

Do you coordinate instrument/gear rental?

"Yes, we have a standard backline and a rental company, and try to coordinate & consolidate keyboard requests, and any special request (acoustic guitars, etc). I liaison between Glenn, the bands, and our backline company."

How much communication with bands do you do before fest?

"A TON! My intro letter goes out in June, providing technical info and requesting some info back. Some bands – one email and done. Others – literally HUNDREDS of mails with various questions all the way up until the fest itself."

Best quote?
"Hmm – too many to remember! On stage and backstage, Chris Roy (former stage manager) and most of the crew are crazy with one-liners and timing (several could be stand-up comedians)."

Other memorable quotes:
J-Dub: “That’s jogging pants, Tommy”.
Tommy, without hesitating: “We know jogging is not in your vocabulary, J-Dub”.

Several times over the years: “That’s one for the book”

Best memory?
"Hmm – tons, but Marc Brueland, watching Jon Oliva and Ray Alder react to Russ Allen, bands singing a capella in the stairwell, and the amazing amount of great people I have met, many of who I consider friends to this day."

"Also – all-star jam and crew jam."

Worst memory?
"Dealing with some people who have the wrong personality for the business."

Weirdest request?
"About a half hour before a band was going on (basically, just before the set changeover), a not-to-be named guitarist requested a guitar set-up and a repair of a shoddy pickup .. wanted a neck and trussrod adjustment, fingerboard oiled, etc. And this was back in the days of bands getting soundchecks.."

10133_1214790523375_7686689_n.jpg

409749_10151099305892943_839836913_n.jpg

417541_10151099306762943_112343919_n.jpg

1-1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Stage setup comparisons:
(to give you an idea what exactly happens/is moved in those 30min changeovers)

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

~Jen

Wayne has stepped into the stage manager role and flourished. He takes a lot of shit from me at times and never punches me. It's a damn good feeling knowing that I have a dear friend and total professional in the most critical role in the crew.

Take a bow bro.

Thanks for the kind words Glenn.... you'll hear my volume and see it in my face before a fist would ever have to fly! ;o)

In all seriousness - thanks for the opportunity and taking that chance on me 11 yrs ago! Hope I can perform to your standards.

As I said - you're stuck with me til there are no more PPUSA's, until you can me, or until I'm too old for this s**t!

Kudos Bro! You did a fantastic job this year from my point of view, and helped us wade through the "challenges" that each year throws our way.
Part of the reason being on this crew is so special to me, Cheers!

Weirdest request?
"About a half hour before a band was going on (basically, just before the set changeover), a not-to-be named guitarist requested a guitar set-up and a repair of a shoddy pickup .. wanted a neck and trussrod adjustment, fingerboard oiled, etc. And this was back in the days of bands getting soundchecks.."

This is an interesting insight... do bands typically no longer soundcheck these days? Has the use of electronics / etc changed things?

Usually just the headliners.. then a line-check for the opener. The rest is on the fly.
It used to be that every band had a quick dry-run.
Not 100% sure, but that may have started when we went to the 7 band line-up, instead of the 5 bands per night. If it didn't happen that year, it happened shortly after.
No way to accomodate headliner stuff, all line checks, and a 2 or 2:30pm start time.

Plus - in Euro festivals, that is how it is done, so most bands were shocked if they got a sound check anyway

one of the main reasons I think the fest is so enjoyable every year. Sometimes there is a sound issue, or people bitch about the lights blinding them -and I am sure the crew is dealing with a myriad of problems and personalities backstage - and yet, the show goes on and I am always impressed and never fail to have the time of my life :)

Cheers to Wayne and all the peeps behind the curtain
jeff

I always knew you rocked, Wayne...now everyone knows too! It's good for everyone to get a glimpse into what really goes on behind the scenes to make PPUSA such an amazing machine. You, Glenn, Jen, and the rest of the crew bust your asses for several days straight, and I appreciate the hell out of all of you for all that you do!

Keep on rockin'! :headbang:

Yeah, I gotta pipe in and say that Wayne knocked it out of the park this year! He did an awesome job - first year as stage manager or not! If you really understood the amount of organization and work he puts in before he even lands in ATL you would really be impressed. I defintely appreciated his preparedness and organization. It was an honor and pleasure to, once again, work with you and the rest of the crew, Wayne! It is hard to believe that I have worked more years than I attended as a fan now. Thanks for making them good years!

Thanks to Wayne and the rest of the crew for all the hard work!!! I don't know how you guys do it and keep things running as smoothly as they do...sh*t is gonna happen, but the crew always seems to roll with it and has things ironed back out in record time.

Given the complexity of stage changes between bands, I'm always impressed with how smoothly things *do* go!

Thanks for all you do!

Craig

Hats off to you, Wayne! I knew you were responsible for a lot of stuff backstage, but I never knew to what extent. That's incredible! The same goes to Chris for all of his years of involvement. Great job, guys!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert