DC Earthquake

Another DC/MD/VA-ite checkin' in... I work right next to Andrews AFB and initally thought it was one of the big planes taking off but then thought 'wow, this isn't the usual rubbling'... As soon as I saw a pot of flowers shaking on top of a cubicle I knew it was an earthquake - it stopped for about 2 -3 seconds then really started shaking... I thought it was so cool, I forgot to freak out until some folks started screaming and my stepdad came tearing down from the 2nd floor to get me outta there. (made sure I got my keys, ipod and phone with my purse!! :p)

No damage that can be seen - my home went totally 'untouched'... I'm just glad it wasn't as bad as others have had it...

And Dave, I hope the clean up is quick and not to expensive!!

"VIRGINIA QUAKE~~BREAKING NEWS!!! The USGS has determined that the epicenter of the Va earthquake was in the graveyard just outside of DC. The cause appears to be all of our Founding Fathers rolling over in their graves."

I happened to still be at home when the quake hit, as I was taking a later lunch and went back home to make it (grilled up some hotdogs on the back deck - the weather was gorgeous today). It really did shake the shit out my place here. I was in the basement getting my bicycle out to ride back to work when it started. I was like "What the hell is going on with this place?" I know the refrigerator here can act up sometimes, but holy shit! It dawned me that this was an earthquake and I bolted straight out the back door. Pretty wild that I could feel the ground itself moving. This lady in the house behind mine was just freaking out big time! I thought she was going to have a heart attack there. I am actually friggan surprised that nothing in this place was knocked down or broken. When I got back to my office, which is only about a mile away, nearly everyone was standing outside. One guy made a joke if I may have been playing my stereo a little to loudly there. At least no tsunamis in Lake Anna to take out the nuke plant there.

Another DC/MD/VA-ite checkin' in... I work right next to Andrews AFB and initally thought it was one of the big planes taking off but then thought 'wow, this isn't the usual rubbling'...

My poor mom lives near where you are, in Forestville. She said the house was shaking back and forth and she thought that it was going to come down!

I was riding my bike through the park at the time & completely, 100%, missed the earthquake.

On the other hand, my guitarist lives right off of 301 & his house got completely destroyed.

Some serious damage in spots, mostly in MD though. Here in Vienna, we had a few buildings lose some bricks and smash some cars, but the real concern is the unseen structural damage to schools and government buildings. THAT'S why some gov't buildings and schools are closed until further notice, so structural engineers can charge a boatload of money to tell people they have cracks in their masonry walls. (kidding)

Seriously though, I think we'll be feeling some small effects from this for months, if not years to come, as our aging and fragile infrastructure slowly comes apart, especially this winter when the ground starts freezing. The water main breaks this winter are going to be monumental.

As for my house, I came home to a few picture frames turned over, and a couple of things thrown off shelves (strangely very random), but so far nothing serious.

Some serious damage in spots, mostly in MD though. Here in Vienna, we had a few buildings lose some bricks and smash some cars, but the real concern is the unseen structural damage to schools and government buildings. THAT'S why some gov't buildings and schools are closed until further notice, so structural engineers can charge a boatload of money to tell people they have cracks in their masonry walls. (kidding)

Seriously though, I think we'll be feeling some small effects from this for months, if not years to come, as our aging and fragile infrastructure slowly comes apart, especially this winter when the ground starts freezing. The water main breaks this winter are going to be monumental.

As for my house, I came home to a few picture frames turned over, and a couple of things thrown off shelves (strangely very random), but so far nothing serious.

Good to hearthat things are ok, at least the stuff about your home...
See you in a few weeks! :headbang: