DE PROFUNDIS - The Emptiness Within

New interview with guitarist Roman Subbotin online @ Blistering.com! (Part 1)

An up-and-comer in the United Kingdom extreme metal underground, De Profundis's stellar recording output is matched by their attention to detail, the kind of sort you'd see from a much more high-profile act. These are the foundations for a band that in good time should be a major force on a global scale, as evidenced by the inherent strength of their third opus, The Emptiness Within (Kolony Records). A fearsome blend of technical death and black metal, De Profundis also finds it within themselves to weave in the occasional jazz interlude, drawing comparisons to progressive death metal legends Atheist and Death. And when combined with professionalism, a strong conceptual base, and a tireless touring load, De Profundis should have little problem rising up through the ranks, something that was top of mind when we grabbed guitarist Roman Subbotin for a chat...

Blistering.com: After you released A Bleak Reflection, you did quite a few live shows/touring. How did those go, and how critical were they in terms of laying the groundwork for album #3?

Roman Subbotin: Absolutely, we toured a hell of a lot for the A Bleak Reflection album. We played in over 20 countries and did three international tours across Europe and India. On the whole, the experience of playing across so many places and meeting many new people was great. Of course, some shows were disappointing - it can be quite frustrating to spend many hours travelling to a venue only to find out that the promoter has not done any promotion and no-one even knows that the show is on. I'm sure most touring band have been in the same situation, but the important thing for us to learn from such experiences. Most of the shows have been excellent, however, with the crowd reaction being very strong. Quite often we get people coming up to us saying "that was great - why haven't I heard about you before?" Hopefully more and more people are getting to hear about De Profundis now.

Touring really motivated us to write the new album in a way that would come across as well as possible played live on stage. Live shows are a great test for any new tracks, so we used this environment to test the new songs once we were happy with them to see how they translated on a live stage. We realized some of our earlier songs took too long to get to the "point,” so on the new album we made a conscious effort to make the song structures as concise as possible, and ruthlessly cut out any arrangements that we thought were not necessary to the songs.

Blistering.com: Music as complex and atmospheric as yours can get lost in translation in the live arena. How do think the band comes across, or are you still a work in progress on the live front?

Subbotin: In my opinion, De Profundis is at its best as a live act. For us it's always been more of a question as to how to capture this in the studio. As I said before, the songs are written with the live performance in mind, and the new tracks seem to be going down very well with the audiences. We've played to all sizes of crowds - from 3 to 30,000 - and the band always gives our all. For us it has always been more of a question how to capture the energy and atmosphere of our shows on record. I think we are getting better and better at this with each recording, but I still feel that we are a better live than studio band. We all love playing live - there's an amazing energy at our live shows. We have a really good chemistry now and the band really plays tight as a unit now.

Blistering.com: There’s this distinct air of professionalism in everything you do, from artwork, to production, all the way to band photos. As a band on a small independent label, describe all of the legwork that goes into making the band appear so professional.

Subbotin: It's not easy. First and foremost we do everything to a standard that we set for ourselves. It does not matter what anyone else thinks of what De Profundis does - as long as we are happy with it, then this is the only thing that matters. We all love creating music, and we are very passionate about what this band does. We try to work with like-minded people who also give it their all. We don't settle or compromise on the quality of anything that the band puts out. This can be very tough - financially but also time-consuming - but really it's only about creating something that we are proud of ourselves and working with the right people.

Blistering.com: A Bleak Reflection was rather impressive, but The Emptiness Within takes it to another level. Is that how you were feeling after wrapping up the album?

Subbotin: I think that's a fair comment. We strive to progress and improve with every album. Certainly the feeling in the band has been that we have improved as composers and as musicians and were able to capture this with the new songs. We purposefully tried to make the songs have more impact and more "hooks" - if the listener cannot remember any melodies after listening to the album, then what was the point of it? Of course, some things did not work out perfectly on this album. Without going into detail, I think it's fair to say all band members had to compromise. From a personal level, there are some things that I know we could have done better... but I'm happy enough with the final product and I'm sure we will do even better on the next record. After all, if you think you have made your perfect record and you can't do better - then it's better to retire and go out on a high. I wish some of these older bands would do the same as opposed to tarnishing their legacy with half-baked crap.

Blistering.com: What was the writing process like for album #3?

Subbotin: In a way, it was quite different to the previous albums, as we worked a lot in Shoi's (other guitarist) private teaching/recording studio. The whole band plugged in directly into a computer with multi-tracking program, using guitar processors and electronic drums. We recorded ideas at almost every rehearsal and took them away to work on individually between rehearsals. Because the ideas were captured on demos very early on, we were able to spend a lot of time and attention on arrangements. If you play in rehearsal studio at loud volumes, it can be easy to miss certain notes clashing or rhythms not working. Writing in a recording studio environment at quieter volumes, everything was very clear. As a result, we have been able to come up with some very cool arrangements.

Link:
http://www.blistering.com/fastpage/fpengine.php/templateid/26780/menuid/3/tempidx/5/link/1

New interview with guitarist Roman Subbotin online @ Blistering.com! (Part 2)

Blistering.com: You were able to keep the same lineup between releases – how beneficial was that when putting the new album together?

Subbotin: I think the fact that we had a stable line-up for a few years now really helped as we are all very comfortable with each other and know each other's playing styles. Everyone was able to contribute as much as they wanted to the writing process, and in fact there are a lot of very subtle nuances in the arrangements as a result. There is "chemistry" on this album that you can only get from a band that has been playing together for a while. We've toured fairly extensively over last few years, so know well what our respective influences and interests are. Ideas just bounce off each of us when we write - we have a real understanding now as a band. This takes time to develop, so having the same line-up for several years now has been hugely beneficial to writing and playing live.

Blistering.com: Clearly, the band has its own sound, but it’s not like you’ve settled into one particular sound/style. What’s the ingredient to keeping things fresh?

Subbotin: I think we have a pretty unique way of composing the songs - putting together the ingredients, if you will. We may take ideas from different genres but the way the music is ultimately structured follows the same philosophy and way of creating music. I would say that THIS is our sound. As our albums have progressed, we have explored different genres to varying measures. The reason for that, I guess, would be curiosity and interest for many types of music within this band. We all like different bands, so each band member brings in their own ideas into the mix. Also, I just don't see the point of releasing the same album again and again. If we do an album, then it has to mean something, and say something different. Stagnation is not an option.

Blistering.com: There’s a noticeable progressive metal influence on some of the songs…are you prog nerds by chance?

Subbotin: Yes, we are big fans of many different acts, and "progressive" bands are some of the ones that we find the most interesting. Likes of King Crimson, Rush, Pink Floyd, Queen, Cynic, Atheist and many more. Our bassist and drummer are huge 70's prog rock fans, so I'm sure there's an influence there on our sound. We don't try to recreate the 70's though... I think there are two types of influence - one is imitation - for example PLAYING something in the style of (name a band), and the other is sub-conscious / mental influence - THINKING according to the influence of an artist. Each band has a unique message, and that's what their music is about. Understanding that is engaging with the artist.... it's inevitable that some sections of our music will remind the listener of certain bands, given there's only a limited number of notes, chords and so on - but I like to think that De Profundis shows its influences in the way of thinking, and developing ideas, rather than just imitating.

Blistering.com: Also, gotta love the Death Individual Thought Patterns influence too. How has Chuck Schuldiner influenced your music?

Subbotin: I think Human was the first really heavy record that I got into. Certainly there's some influence from Chuck's riffs and the Death aesthetic - the way that Death arrangements were put together - on what we do, especially on the more "death metal" sounding sections of this new album. It's probably fair to say that because The Emptiness Within is a faster record than our previous two, we have got some riffs that sound closer to the kind of super-tight picked riffs that Chuck was famous for, however his influence has always been present on De Profundis. I'm glad you've picked up on that. I'm a big fan of Symbolic too - some really great ideas and songs on that album.

Blistering.com: The band has played some rather exotic places over the years. Any particular favorite of yours?

Subbotin: India has to be one, since we played there to 20,000 supporting Iron Maiden in 2009, and also we returned there for a headlining tour in 2010 - when we got to play to 30,000 people in a single show. The fans there have been really great to us, and we've had such a great experience there. It's very different from the UK, so it was incredible to see new cultures and meet new people. I wrote a blog about the tour - you can find it via our official website. Closer to home, we've had really good responses to our music in Netherlands and Belgium, so always keen to play some more shows there. To be honest, we love playing live and would tour the world and play as many shows as possible. Obviously we are limited by financial resources available to us, but we're always keen to do any show - anywhere.

Blistering.com: Finally, what’s on the agenda for the rest of 2012?

Subbotin: We will be aiming to tour even more for this album and hopefully get the band's name out there. We think we have something good going and we're keen to show it to the rest of the world. Onwards and upwards.

Link:
http://www.blistering.com/fastpage/fpengine.php/templateid/26780/menuid/3/tempidx/5/link/1

Metal.it rated 'The Emptiness Within' 7,5/10!

"Terzo disco, il secondo per la nostrana Kolony Records, per i britannici De Profundis, autori di un interessante quanto personale doom death metal assai serrato ma allo stesso tempo alquanto melodico e progressivo, che già il nostro buon Coroner aveva recensito positivamente un paio di anni fa in occasione del precedente "A Bleak Reflection".

Per spazzare via ogni dubbio va detto sin dall'inizio che il nuovissimo "The Emptiness Within" raggiunge il buon valore del capitolo precedente, grazie ad un'ampia eterogeneità dei brani, talvolta più squisitamente progressivi e coraggiosi (l'inizio in fretless di "Silent Gods" è eloquente e quasi la matrice death scompare, così come in "Twisted Landscapes"), altre volte decisamente più oscuri e pesanti come in "Dead Inside" (questa sì ancora veramente estrema), altre volte ancora più decadenti e dark come nell'iniziale "Delirium", con vaghi eco di Paradise Lost e Sentenced dei tempi che furono, tanti tanti anni fa.

A dire il vero oramai unico elemento estremo, in senso di pesantezza, è rappresentato dalla voce di Craig Land che con il suo growling tiene i De Profundis ancorati all'area extreme metal: struttura delle composizioni, produzione, soluzioni ed arrangiamento oramai pendono completamente dalla parte prog-metal ma non è un peccato od un difetto poichè il quintetto albionico lo fa con molto gusto e savoir-faire.

Le delicate (ed intricate) conclusive "Parallel Existence" ed "Unbroken" chiudono "The Emptiness Within" con toni a-là Pestilence(di "Spheres"), e conferiscono a questo lavoro, nonchè alla band, uno status di ottimo ed interessante, molto più elevato del 90% della paccottiglia che il mercato purtroppo ci propina in abbondanza, anche grazie ad un'ottima produzione ed un packaging, sin dalla copertina, più che adeguato.

Ormai la qualità va ricercata, e fortunatamente, trovata, nei nomi più piccoli e meno conosciuti... " [Gianluca 'Graz' Grazioli]

Link:
http://www.metal.it/album.aspx/17681/12614/de-profundis-the-emptiness-within/

'The Emptiness Within' rated 15/20 @ France's VS-webzine!

"Limite parce que je suis une tête de con et que je déteste faire comme tout le monde, j’aurais aimé me détacher de mes chers confrères. Mais nom de Zeus, bien que Sheb (pour leur premier album, d’abord sorti en auto-production) puis Dark Rabbit (pour ‘A Bleak Reflection’ il y a deux ans) les avaient déjà salués, je vais avoir beaucoup de mal à dire du mal des Rosbifs de DE PROFUNDIS.

Bon allez, pour la forme, on va dire que trop de versatilité tue la versatilité. Non pas qu’ils se la jouent CARNIVAL IN COAL, genre en option zapping frénétique, non. Mais sur une base donc doom/death (désormais franchement assez lointaine), ces petits gars ont donc greffé des plans prog rock 70’s, black-metal et limite folk par moments, les deux seules véritables fautes de goût étant un (rare) chant clair mal assuré et des claviers trop en retrait et se résumant souvent à des nappes pas très inspirées et surtout trop typées 90’s. Sinon oui, cela fait beaucoup et justement, parfois cela fait un chouia trop. Non pas que l’interprétation ou le rendu soient à remettre en cause, loin de là, mais disons que le rendu a tendance à ne pas être très digérable et nécessitera pas mal d’écoutes.

Par contre, ce qui est évident, c’est la constante progression de ces musiciens. Et notamment de leur bassiste fretless qui joue à armes égales avec les guitares et qui, d’ailleurs, comme sur les deux disques précédents, profite de l’instrumental « Parallel Existence » placé en avant-dernière position pour s’éclater et cavaler à la Steve Harris entre deux descentes de manche. Instrumental qui évite de commettre à nouveau la faute de goût qu’était sur ‘A Bleak Reflection’ en se révélant être le titre le plus black du lot, avec même une poignée de blast en fin de parcours histoire d’éclabousser un peu. Et là encore, on peut d’ailleurs saluer le mix très propre de l’ex-MISANTHROPE Fernando Pereira qui, une nouvelle fois, a fait en sorte que chaque musicien puisse s’exprimer sans prendre trop de place, même si le tout manque parfois un chouia coffre dans ces parties les plus saturées.

Après, difficile voire impossible d’éviter ce qui se voit comme un éléphant au milieu d’un magasin de porcelaine, cette foutue comparaison avec OPETH. Sauf que si sur le banc des accusés se bousculent déjà IKUINEN KAAMOS, STEORRAH ou encore très récemment MOONLOOP, DE PROFUNDIS eux sont plus coupables dans le fond que dans la forme. C’est-à-dire qu’ils se sont inspirés avant tout de leur esprit aventureux et de cette façon d’alterner moments presque intimes et avis de tempête. Car sinon, prise en tant que telle, mis-à-part quelques accents guitaristiques et certaines intros (comme celle de « This Wretched Plague » par exemple), leur musique n’est pas si ouvertement pompée sur celle de Mikaël Åkerfeldt, notamment grâce à un côté black plus prononcé. J’irais même jusqu’à parler de black hellénique bizarrement, tant on a parfois l’impression d’entendre des plans qui n’auraient pas dépareillé sur le dernier ROTTING CHRIST par exemple, groupe avec lequel ils ont tourné récemment. Manque plus qu’à l’appel que quelques vrais morceaux vraiment mémorisables plutôt que cette foutue impression d’entendre des gens très compétents oubliant hélas parfois un peu qu’un ou deux péquins les écoutent…" [Olivier 'Zoltar' Badin]

Link:
http://www.vs-webzine.com/new.php?page=kronik&id_news=13336&pagh=&droite=

'The Emptiness Within' rated 78/100 @ Italy's Hardsounds.it!

"Con questo nuovo album i De Profundis migliorano sotto diversi aspetti. Il più significativo è senza dubbio quello del songwriting, oggi affinato, maturato e più convincente. Lo si evince in particolare dalle progressioni e dagli stacchi strumentali che figurano incastrati più efficacemente tra la pesantezza del death/doom che fa da base allo stile della band inglese. 'The Emptiness Within' rappresenta quindi un passo in avanti rispetto al pur interessante 'A Bleak Reflection' che vedeva le idee del quintetto concretizzarsi con maggiore fatica a causa di una fretta esecutivo-compositiva che ne minava la stabilità. Oggi, invece, pur non raggiungendo il massimo equilibrio nelle proprie strutture i brani risultano più dinamici e compatti a fronte di una qualità complessiva che supera abbondantemente la media delle uscite di genere e non. I riferimenti non sono cambiati, però, dato che i De Profundis si rifanno a quanto My Dying Bride e Paradise Lost hanno già scritto sul fronte death/doom, ma grazie alla sempre più pressante componente progressive i nostri provano a dire la loro attraverso intuizioni che dilaniano l'atmosfera cupa e furiosa che padroneggia nell'ora quasi di musica, e lo fanno con cognizione e disinvoltura tecnica - ulteriori aspetti migliorati. Probabilmente era lecito aspettarsi una crescita più sostanziosa, se non definitiva dopo ormai tre album ed oltre un lustro d'esperienza, però vogliamo credere che i De Profundis siano indietro di un disco in quanto a perfezionamento del loro stile, e che il prossimo lavoro sarà quello della consacrazione di un talento che ancora non riesce ad esprimersi come dovrebbe." [Andrea Punzo]

Link:
http://www.hardsounds.it/recensione.php?id=8159

'If you consider yourself a fan of metal in any shape or form this is quite simply an essential album' - check out the review of 'The Emptiness Within' @ Sonicabuse.com!

"The last time we caught up with De Profundis they were playing a sparsely attended all-dayer at Leicester’s The Musician Pub and yet, even there in that less-than-crowded venue, you couldn’t help but appreciate that De Profundis were destined for bigger things. Now, on ‘The Emptiness within’ released on the excellent Kolony Records, the band are poised to gain the recognition that they so richly deserve as they deliver an album that has poise, precision, subtlety and power raging through every one of its nine searing, gloriously innovative tracks. Quite what sets the band apart is hard to pin down. It could be their exquisite musicianship, but that alone is never enough; it could be their ferocious riffs and devastating vocal attack, but that also is a facet shared by many bands; it could be the progressive streak that takes their songs above and beyond the realms of the ordinary, but, then, even this has done before. So perhaps it is where all of these things coalesce and where the band seamlessly (and seemingly effortlessly) combine all these things that makes them so special and so deserving of your time and attention. Whatever ‘X’ Factor it is, De Profundis undeniably have it, and this is one of the most exciting extreme metal albums to have come our way in some time.

Openign with ‘from the depths…’, De Profundis work on developing mood and atmosphere from the beginning. The first track is but an intro, but one that has been meticulously crafted to build a very genuine sense of anticipation that builds until the twisted attack of ‘Delirium’ screams into view, the brutal rhythm guitar offset by a fluid classic rock solo and jazzy bass runs that are as unexpected as they are welcome. It’s an awe-inspiring start that soon leads to a rampaging black metal attack, all guttural vocals and pummelling percussion all of which would impress even if that was all that was on offer… but it’s not. Not by a long way. Just as the band have taken you as far dwon the extreme path as they are willing to go, the music does an almighty volte-face, with the bass leading the way towards altogether different climes, the guitars suddenly smoothing out and hitting a jazzy Santana vibe that miraculously does not sound disparate but which fits into the track as if it was always meant to be there. This is the sort of abrupt U turn that hitherto only Opeth and the Conservative government would consider (and which only Opeth got away with) and the result is an immense track whcih runs through a gamut of sounds and emotions always leading you into unexpected recesses and areas before you even realise that a change has taken place – and all this takes place on just the first track.

‘Silent Gods’ is the next track and once again it is the bassist (the implausibly named Arran McSporran) who deserves special mention for his amazing performance which speaks of countless hours spent practicing his instrument and developing the idea of what can (and can’t) be done with a bass guitar within the context of a song. This is not to detract from the stunning guitar work or powerful percussion – it is simply that it is rare to hear the bass played with such skill and ingenuity and it sits right at the heart of what makes De Profundis so special – each and every musician in the band contributes a huge amount to the overall feel of the music and the result is a complex, adventurous mix of extreme, brutal, and occasionally beautiful music that has you standing in simple, unaffected awe of the band who produced it. ‘This wretched plague’ opens on a reflective note, the guitars rippling through your speakers with an unexpected sense of calm that is as suddenly still as the calm after a storm and as welcome as the inevitable freshness torrential rain brings to the air. It does not last for long, however, and the music explodes into brightly coloured life as the band pile in with gleeful ferocity, destroying the sense of tranquillity with a serpentine ferocity that draws the breath from the body. Next up is the aptly titled ‘twisted landscapes’, a mind-boggling number of chaotic complexity that takes a strong mind and steely determination to follow. Once again the band’s remarkable musicianship is demonstrably to the fore and yet it never feels like they’re engaging with complexity for the sake of it – nothing that doesn’t serve the song makes the final cut and the result is a series of songs that challenge the intellect as well as fire the adrenal glands with their blistering intensity.

Taking a jazzier direction, ‘release’ is a chance for the rhythm section to shine whilst the guitars are initially content to add colour to the sound before crashing back in for a jerking, syncopated, menacingly metallic assault that takes any number of detours before it’s near eight-minute run time is through. ‘Dead inside’ is a heavier number that takes the dying days of Emperor as it’s cue (think the crazed urgency of ‘Prometheus: The discipline of fire and demise’) and then the comparatively brief (a svelte six minutes) ‘Parallel Existence’ opens for all the world like a latter-day Pink Floyd number, all languid guitar and jazzy time signatures before an almighty riff at 01:20 tears the progressive ambience to pieces, the band throwing thunderous percussion and jaw-dropping solos at the mix for an instrumental number that gives the whole band a chance to flex their musical muscles. ‘Unbroken (A morbid embrace)’ draws the album to a close over the course of a nine minute mini-symphony that refuses to follow any expected patterns and instead repeatedly decimates your expectations, proving to be a shattering curtain call indeed.

In producing a record of the quality of ‘the emptiness within’, De Profundis have raised the bar for extreme metal bands everywhere. Here you will find riffs that shatter your peace of mind, moments of sublime beauty, musicianship that is quite simply beyond reproach and astute, innovative song-writing skill. There is not a weak moment, not a bum note or poor performance anywhere to be found and whilst De Profundis themselves may go on to top this remarkable piece of work, it’s hard to imagine anyone else doing so… not this year at least. If you consider yourself a fan of metal in any shape or form this is quite simply an essential album." [Phil]

Link:
http://www.sonicabuse.com/2012/06/de-profundis-the-emptiness-within-album-review/

'Give this album a spin and, trust me, this will be the best hour of your life' - another great review of 'The Emptiness Within', this time @ MetalRecusants.com!

"The music scene, and especially the metal scene, is saturated with loads of bands from all kind of genres and sub-genres. A lot of them might be original and very interesting while some of them might be unoriginal and boring. However, only a few are able to connect with you and take you on a musical and dream-like journey. The newest album from UK act De Profundis should be categorised in the latter group.

Let’s introduce the band first. De Profundis formed, not so long ago, in 2005. Up to date, the Londoners have released three albums: Beyond Redemption (2007), A Bleak Reflection (2010) and their newest output The Emptiness Within. Followers of the metal scene should be familiar with this stellar act as they’ve been on various European tours (most recently with Rotting Christ) but even supported Iron Maiden in India.

From the first note on The Emptiness Within, I knew that it would be a mind blowing experience. After spinning the album a dozen times, my prediction proved to be true. De Profundis’ third full-length has music on it which you can just listen to all day long. Come on, when was the last time that you actually sat down in your comfortable chair or bed and just listened to a (new) album more than once and ACTUALLY loved it?! Can’t remember? I thought so…

Everything on The Emptiness Within is dream-like and beautiful – and yet brutal as tracks like “Delirium” prove. To be found on all tracks are instrumental interludes with an awesome proggish/jazzy sounding bass. A great example is “This Wretched Plague” where both the bass and guitar are very jazzy and proggy, thanks to which you enter the world of dreams. Later on in the track when all the instruments play together – i.e. when the music takes a brutal turn – you are still in that dream world; maybe suffering or running away from “This Wretched Plague” but that’s for the listener to interpret for himself/herself.

The band also deserves praise for the lack of selfishness among the instruments. Everyone gets their turn in the spotlight. But even when in the spotlight, there is no domination of one instrument over the other. All instruments are clearly audible which leads us to comment that the production is excellent.

The instrument which had the biggest impact on me was the bass. There are awesome solos (for instance on “This Wretched Plague”) and it is audible throughout the album. At times it felt as if I was listening to a jazz band rather than an extreme metal one… However, this could be their form of extreme as they stray away from the norm.

Even if De Profundis do not lack imagination and creativity, comparisons to other bands are inevitable. For instance, at times the drumming and the rhythm sections could be compared to Amon Amarth while the track “Release” has some Opeth-y moments.

Nevertheless, listening to all those melodies and riffs on this album is like heaven (or hell?!) for the ears. The instrumental track “Parallel Existence” is the ultimate dream track that you will ever listen to. De Profundis’ The Emptiness Within should be recommended by doctors all over the world – this music will heal all your anxieties, nightmares and depressions. This is definitely one of the best albums I have listened to recently. Give this album a spin and, trust me, this will be the best hour of your life." [Dom]

Link:
http://metalrecusants.com/2012/06/20/release-review-de-profundis-the-emptiness-within/

'The Emptiness Within' rated 4,5/6 in the June-July issue (#047) of Zero Tolerance Magazine!

zt47.jpg

For more info:
http://ztmag.com/current.html

There's a new interview with the band online @ Fémforgács webzine (Hungary)!

Kérdés-felelek Shoi Sennel, a De Profundis gitárosával

- Az első szó jogán engedjétek meg, hogy gratuláljak a nemrég megjelent lemezetekhez!

Sikerült egy nagyon tömény, de aki szán rá időt, annak egy roppant szerethető albumot alkotni. Úgy érzem, hogy az előző, A Bleak Reflection-hoz képest a The Emptiness Within egy teljesen új ösvényt választ a népszerűséghez vezető ingoványos terepen. Ez mennyire volt tudatos? Vagy csak én gondolom úgy, hogy ezúttal sokkal több fantáziát és szabadságot kovácsoltatok a dalokba?
- Köszönöm, egyetértek azzal, hogy a zenénket párszor meg kell hallgatni, hogy mindent megértsünk, teljesen befogadjuk. Nem akartunk teljesen mást összehozni a “A Bleak Reflection’-től, az egyetlen célunk az volt, hogy összetettebb, töményebb dalok szülessenek. Úgy csináljuk a dalokat, hogy összehozzuk az ötleteinket, majd megírjuk őket, szóval ez egy nyitott kreatív folyamat.
- A lemez megjelenése óta túl vagytok négy koncerten és idén eddig további három időpontotok van lekötve. Gondolkodtok lemezbemutató, zenekar népszerűsítő turnén?
- Idén a későbbiekben tervezünk turnét, remélhetőleg hamarosan többet tudunk erről írni.
- A fellépéseken milyen volt a korong dalainak fogadtatása a színpadról nézve? És milyen visszajelzéseket kaptatok eddig a lemezről úgy általában?
- Azok, akik egy ideje már követnek, figyelnek, ismernek minket, nagyon szerették a dalainkat, látták, hogy egy másik szintre jutottunk. Nyilván néhányan, akik szerették az A Bleak Reflection-t nem túl lelkesek az új albummal kapcsolatban. Az új rajongóinknak tetszett, amit játszottunk, eddig a cd-eladásaink nagyon jók, szóval ez ösztönzően hat ránk. Azt gondolom, néhányukat, akik már hallották a nevünket, de nem láttak még minket, lenyűgöztük és meglepődtek azon, amit láttak.
- Most egy kicsit tolakodó leszek. Volt egy olyan észrevételem, hogy az amúgy szépen kidolgozott zenekari logó leginkább egy didergő és nagyon meglepett medúzára hasonlít, így inkább a black és durvább death metal műfajra fogékonyak figyelmét kelti fel elsősorban, pedig a zenétek az előbbi skatulyákon messze túlmutat. Nem gondolkoztok egy könnyebben olvashatóbb és zenétekhez illőbb névleírás elkészítésén?
- Érdekes kérdés, a logót a bandán belül döntöttük el, és mindannyian különbözőképpen gondoltuk. Talán a jövőben lehet, hogy valami változhat rajta. Valóban igaz, hogy a zenénk messzebb mutat, mint egyszerűen csak black metal.
- Most visszakanyarodok még egy kicsit az élő előadáshoz. Volt már szerencsétek nagy tömeghez és kis klubokhoz egyaránt. Melyiken léptek fel szívesebben és miért?
- Mindkettőt nagyon szeretjük. A tömött klubos fellépés döbbenetes élmény, mert nagyon közel lehetsz a közönséghez, szinte az arcukba játszol. A nagy koncert meg önbizalomnövelés, látni a sok embert, akik a zenédre emelik a magasba az öklüket.
- Van olyan zenekar, akivel szívesen bejárnátok Európa színpadait?
- Őszintén szólva bárkivel szívesen játszunk, úgy érezzük, a mi zenénk széles körben vonzza a hallgatóságot, szóval örömmel játszunk bárkivel.
- És ha már koncert, mint rajongók sűrűn jártok koncertre?
- Nem olyan gyakran, amennyire szeretnénk. Esténként gitárleckéket adok, ezért sokszor kihagyok koncerteket. Utoljára az Amorphist láttam pár hónappal ezelőtt.
- Van közös kedvenc zenekarotok?
- Rengeteg! A metal bandák mint az Emperor, Opeth, Cynic és a Death. De nem metal zenekarok is, mint pl. Queen, Journey és a Pink Floyd.
- A zenéteket hallgatva, a hangszerek egymásba fonódása miatt olyan érzésem van, mintha rengeteg időt töltenétek együtt, holott öten vagytok és négy országból származtok. Hogyan fújt össze a szél titeket és hányszor tudtok találkozni?
- Romannal és Craiggel interneten keresztül ismerkedtem meg. Ugyanígy Nickkel, a dobosunkkal, neki a hirdetését találtuk meg. Arrant válogattuk – a másik bandája velünk lépett fel pár koncerten és nagyon tetszett, ahogy játszott. Amikor basszusgitárost kerestünk, ő volt az első és egyetlen, akit szerettünk volna, szóval nagyon szerencsések voltunk, hogy igent mondott.
- El tudom képzelni, hogy a sokféle vérmérséklet is szerepet játszik abban, hogy ilyen összetett zenét hoztatok a világra. Hogyan fogantak a dalok, volt-e vezető dalíró?
- Tényleg teljesen különböznek a vérmérsékeletek… :) Alapvetően Roman és én hozakodunk elő riffekkel, Arran (basszusgitáros) és Nick (dobos) keresi meg a tökéletes ritmust a riffek alá, és Craig próbálja a gondolatokat egy dalba rendezni. Szóval mindenki hozzájárul a dalíráshoz.
- Szabad tudni, hogy amikor nem zenéltek és bármit választhattok akkor mivel töltitek az időt, és mivel akkor, amikor a pénzkeresési kényszer dönt helyettetek?
- Két állásom van, kereskedelemben dolgozok és gitárleckét adok. Van családom is szóval rettentő elfoglalt vagyok.
- Egyre inkább úgy tűnik, hogy csupán lemezeladásból ma már szinte lehetetlen megélni egy fiatal csapatnak. Milyen lehetőségeket látsz ma és szerintetek mi várható a következő években annak fényében, hogy elindult már valami mozgolódás az internet korlátozására?
- Ideálisan a sok turné jó lenne, de az sem olyan könnyű. Azt gondolom, hogy az illegális zeneletöltés az internetről megölte a zeneipart, ami nagyon szomorú. A jelenlegi modell nem működik. A fiatal bandáknak az összes pénzüket be kell fektetniük, ami azt jelenti, hogy azért kell dolgozniuk, hogy túléljenek, vagyis kevesebb idejük lesz írni, gyakorolni, ami azt eredményezi, hogy a legvégén a zenéjük minősége fogja megsínyleni. Mi a harmadik albumnál tartunk és még mindig dolgoznunk kell… Összehasonlítva a Metallicával, 25 évvel ezelőtt még mindig underground bandaként megírták a Master of Puppets-et, és teljeskörű támogatottságuk volt. Hidd el, ha anyagilag megteheted, hogy egész nap csupán zenét írj, előrukkolhatsz egy remek albummal.
- Ha a maják nem tévednek, akkor nem lesz időtök még egy lemezt megalkotni. De ha mégsem lesz 2012-ben világvége, akkor mik a távlati terveitek?
- Turnét és új dalok írását tervezzük. A stúdióm most épül, ha készen lesz, kezdhetjük a zúzást. Németországban a RockHarz fesztiválon is játszunk idén nyáron.
- Ha találkoznátok Istennel, vagy kifognátok az aranyhalat, esetleg megmentenétek a jótündér életét és kérhetnétek egyetlen dolgot, akkor mi lenne az?
- Szeretnék főállású zenész lenni, hogy el tudjam tartani a családomat.
- Nagyon köszönöm az interjú lehetőségét és a válaszokat. Végezetül mit üzentek azoknak, akik a Fémforgács.hu-n mindezt olvassák?
- Támogassák, szeressék a metalt, ne töltsenek le netről ingyen semmit, senkit nem segítenek ezáltal! És jöjjenek koncertre! Nézzék meg a De Profundis-t és terjesszék! Köszi!
- Sok sikert kívánok a jövőtökhöz, sziasztok!
- Neked is köszönöm, minden jót!

Külön köszönet Krisztinek a két nyelv közötti szakadék áthidalásáért!

Link:

http://www.femforgacs.hu/interju/666/De_Profundis_interju

There's a very detailed review of 'The Emptiness Within' @ NO CLEAN SINGING webzine - give it a read!

"Despite two previous impressive albums, with this latest taking them to a total of three, along with a host of European festival appearances under their belts, De Profundis remain something of an unknown quantity to many in the metal scene. In quiet solitude the UK quintet have spent years honing their craft, both as individuals and as a group, mastering both their instruments and their progressive muse, emerging periodically with a new release or a series of startling live appearances.

With a manic, melting-pot approach to song-writing that reminds me of Canada’s Into Eternity, in frenetic style if not in sound, it takes a steady hand and a keen eye to keep a complex machine such as this from spinning off the rails. Thankfully, this sort of attention to detail and knack for clear composition is something the band have in spades, accenting their material with hints of Emperor’s promethean grandeur, Death’s inhuman technical flow, and Opeth’s blackwater dynamics.

Though a consciously complex band, the quintet aren’t afraid to go hell-for-leather when the occasion calls for it, as the opening to “Delirium” can attest, moving from a grand metal riff in the oldest tradition through a blizzard of blast-beats and weaving tremolo guitars, before settling into a twisted arrangement of catchy riffs and spiralling solos. The track matches its ferocity with a mid-song break into calm acoustics and warping, bass-led melody lines. Cleanly spoken vocals add to the melancholic atmosphere, while a simple yet precise solo plays a mournful refrain, before the track climaxes in a blackened storm of fiery notes and snare beats.

“Silent Gods” gives the noodling fretless bass work yet another chance to shine, its nimble notes weaving a compelling counter-melody in and around the chaotic motions of complex, Dream Theater-esque guitar work. The vocals deliver a convincing display of raw-throated rage and loss, their darker vibe offsetting the mesmerising and melodic lead work that pops up unexpectedly throughout the track.

Having largely shed their more introverted, doomy beginnings, it’s interesting to hear certain recollections of this style during moments of “The Wretched Plague”. The cold and melodic introduction to the track is a conscious throwback to the band’s earlier years, as are the dramatic clean vocals that punctuate the dominant passages of thrashing, Death-derived riffage. Though these are only minor moments in amongst the more technical complexity of the track, they provide an impressive contrast in styles that adds yet another string to De Profundis’ bow.

Rather than confusing “technical” with “progressive” as is so often the case these days, De Profundis display a well-developed grasp of both, be it the mesmerising instrumental wizardry of “Twisted Landscapes”, or the intelligent, ambiguous structure of “Release”. The former has a series of crazed bass-lines and spiky riffs which would give Obscura pause for thought, along with a madcap structure that takes in all manner of scything guitars and a truly mesmerising drumming performance.

The latter, while still exhibiting the technical flair of the group, does so in a more restrained manner, shifting the focus onto the song’s sprawling and blooming structure, shifting from claustrophobic death metal might to vast vistas of progressive sound. The most Opeth-ian of the songs on offer, it dispenses with predictable structure almost immediately, instead using its recurring riffs as motifs to tie the music together, while incorporating lengthy digressions of moody ambience, solemn clean vocals, and spiralling guitar runs into the track’s many movements.

Perhaps the high-point of the album, though that is debatable on a record with so many strong songs, “Dead Inside” has a hint of Morbid Angel to it, albeit slower and doomier, with its dominating death vocals and angular riff work. Dissonant chord progressions and lightning-fast drumming carry the song into darker waters, where graveyard melodies dwell and invisible undercurrents of doomy power lie in wait for the unwary. Unrelentingly bleak and foreboding, the track paints a multi-layered picture in endless and varied shades of black, using sweeping strokes of melody, swirling patterns of bass-led nuance, and angular outlines of syncopated riffage.

Showcasing another side to the band, the instrumental “Parallel Existence” sees them at their most reflective, slowly unfolding a series of chiming chords and tender, tentative drums in a manner both rare and precious. When the song does burst into full bloom, it does so as a colourful explosion of light and sound, interweaving endless threads of light and shade into a singular symphony of sound.

Final track “Unbroken (A Morbid Embrace)” builds from a dark and forbidding opening, such as Akerfeldt and co. once mastered, into a crushing display of powerhouse riffs and electric, eclectic soloing. The vocals deliver a passionate performance, both clean and harsh, while the drums masterfully shift pace and tempo, guiding the song through its many labyrinthine contortions. Long and complicated, the track takes times to reveal all its secrets, playing a game of smoke and mirrors with the listener, never exposing more than one of its many facets at a time, yet always hinting at hidden faces and subtle shadows.

You’ll perhaps have noticed a plethora of references to other bands throughout this review, serving to illustrate the connective tissue that serves as the roots of the band’s sound. Beyond that, however, these references illustrate even more strongly that, despite incorporating all these recognisable influences and styles, they are employed in a wholly individual and non-derivative manner, mixed into something new, something recognisably greater than the mere sum of its parts.

If I were to level any particular criticisms at the album, then they would be two-fold. First, I would say that the vocals are not as iconic as the album requires. The clear and confident death vocals, accented by the occasional blackened scream, do the job competently and in an effective manner, but it is only the sombre clean vocals, used sparingly, that evince the same unique and captivating vibe as the rest of the material.

Second, the album is occasionally too clever for its own good, reducing the capacity of the listener to make a deeper connection with the material. This again isn’t helped by the vocals, which are limited in their expression. I’m not criticising the emotional content of the material — this is, after all, an album built on loneliness and loss — more that I find the vocals lacking in their ability to convey and facilitate the emotional connection of the listener, and so fail to ground the often-confusing kaleidoscope of instrumental interplay.

But while viable enough, these concerns are not enough to derail the album and its forceful progress. This is an album gifted with ambition and the talent to match, one which revels in testing its own limitations, for good or for ill, with a grandiose, shameless abandon and a confidence verging on arrogance, yet nevertheless fully justified.

The band have stumbled upon a unique formula, like some sort of prog-metal alchemy, for an elemental sound both like and unlike any that has gone before. If they can, in the future, harness that indefinable “human” element that this album fails to fully capture, then there is no telling what wonders they might create." [Andy Synn]

Link:
http://www.nocleansinging.com/2012/07/02/de-profundis-the-emptiness-within/

'The Emptiness Within' rated 7,5/10 @ MetalReview.com!

"Before metal in the 90s went completely haywire, there were the in-between-genre genres, those that were only slightly different but somehow hardest to pinpoint. London’s De Profundis has long dwelled in such territory, evolving from extreme doom beginnings into the hybrid they offer on The Emptiness Within, their third. The early Gothenburg and Dissection influences are notable, but this lacks the upbeat Maiden influence of the former and the glacial coldness of the latter. Some of the songs have the complex, orchestrated structure of symphonic black metal, but there are no symphonic features on hand. Touches of Ihsahn-ian prog, thrash, doom, and even goth metal line these 55 minutes as well, but again, no style is dominant.

Really, The Emptiness Within is less a hybrid and more just an extreme metal album that touches several bases, and because the band is extremely talented on a purely technical level, the blend is virtually invisible unless listened for. Both songwriting and performances hit the mixture with ease. Vocals screech, growl, and sing. Drums, played by the very practiced Nick Tingle, are blasting, shuffling, and always stylized. Riffs range from the shrill and blackened in “Twisted Landscapes” to the direct and menacing in “Dead Inside,” while tremolo lines and gorgeous solos are smattered and layered everywhere. This layering is key, as at any given time there may be three melodies woven around each other, while at another time a song may direct itself to pure aggression. “Release” is possibly the best example of this. A stirring middle passage of clean vocals and one brilliantly emotive lead guitar line ties the aggressive first half with the progressive second, taking a song that initially appears one dimensional and forming it into something special.

Not every song has quite this level of complexity, and The Emptiness Within certainly isn’t flawless, but its faults are often the kind that one learns to live with, and fast. There are times when the band’s desire for layering goes a bit too far (some unnecessary lead lines during the verses of “Silent Gods”), and the choice to use a fretless bass is often a tad distracting (during any number of softer moments), but the band’s general knack helps the album to overcome these shortcomings. Nowhere is this more evident than during closer “Unbroken (A Morbid Embrace),” where some Halloween-y lyrics and gothy clean vocals actually become endearing in their cheesiness after several spins, simply because they help to send off this strong album.

As with any group that reaches strongly to the past while keeping an eye on their own present, De Profundis will likely never be considered an essential act, but if they nip the few flaws, their skills and songcraft may push them into the next level anyway. The Emptiness Within is extremely damn close as it is, and deserves a long hard listen by anyone who loves their blasting in a blender." [Zach Duvall]

Link:
http://metalreview.com/reviews/6763/de-profundis-the-emptiness-within

8 out of 10 @ Rockfreaks.net

"This has taken some time to write but I assure you it will be worth it. Rising from the deep underground of the UK extreme metal scene, Londoners De Profundis on album two "The Emptiness Within" have continued what "A Bleak Reflection" began and released a commendably solid slice of technically proficient, prog-death-doom metal quite unlike anything else you will hear this year.

Formed around a complex pattern of intertwining riffs from guitarists Roman Subbotin and Soikot Sengupta, songs like "Delirium" and "This Wretched Plague" pack a staggering amount into their respective 7 and 5 minutes that you would bet 10 minutes were being topped by each. Craig Land's vocals remind me in essence of Jason Mendonca's from the sadly deceased Akercocke, whereby in a song like "Silent Gods" he will veer from deathly grunts, deep cleans and cursed shrieks with commendable ability in each, though I hesitate to add not with the demonic terror of Mendonca in his day. The pace of each song averages a tempo which most would define as quick but don't come expecting a continual barrage of blastbeats oh no, as De Profundis make a sound attempt to rival Opeth when it comes to the fluidity of their songs, knocking on the doors of Symbolic/ITP-era Death and perhaps even Confessor along the way for their knack of altering the tempo and mood of a song with unexpected variance. The Death similarity is useful to make clear how distinctive De Profundis’ riffing sounds for the standard templates of DM are rarely adhered to here, much as Chuck Schuldiner made a career of limitless creativity in finding a sound and tone that was recognisably his.

To De Profundis' loss it is arguable that a notable portion of their potential DM and BM fanbase could well find the funk that emanates from the bass of Arran McSporran throughout too great a difference to the low-end rumbles they are acquainted with to handle, but given repeated listens the fruits on offer here begin to make sense. At times De Profundis cram in more than might be deemed necessary for the sake of potent songwriting but this, again, is a really strong exercise in challenging yet masterfully conceived metal - recommended for all who like to hear a band branch out from the well-trodden norm." [EW]

Link:
http://www.rockfreaks.net/albums/5077

4 out of 6 @ Revolution-music.dk!

"For 2 år siden overraskede De Profundis mig positivt med deres ”A Bleak Reflection” – albummets blanding af Doom og Black Metal bundet sammen via progressive elementer var spændende og anderledes. Nu er englænderne tilbage med et nyt udspil, som heldigvis også har fundet vej til min anmelderstak.
Når jeg skriver heldigvis skyldes det, at det nye album indeholder mange af de samme kendetegn som forgængeren: Der er stadig masser af lækkert guitarspil og mørke stemninger, og Craig Lands vokal er stadig brølende grum. Samtidig viser bandet igen sit overblik ved at indlægge stille passager i flere numre; her sænkes tempoet og overlader pladsen til mere progressive elementer. Effekten er særligt markant i ”Delirium” og “Release”; i sidstnævnte leges der endda med jazzede melodistumper.
I forhold til tidligere er tempoet generelt hævet, så numrene ikke længere er så Doom-tunge. Det skubber balancen i retning af den Sorte Metal, og “The Emptiness Within” fremstår som et mere traditionelt Black Metal udspil – dog med de nævnte detaljer som særkende. ”Dead Inside” er det nummer hvor tingene hænger bedst sammen, og udgør sammen med det instrumentale “Parallel Existence” albummets højdepunkt.
Musikken er ikke helt så voldsom denne gang, men heller ikke helt så spændende – ikke kun på grund af den manglende overraskelseseffekt, men simpelthen fordi niveauet denne gang ligger en tand lavere. Derfor må ”The Emptiness Within” nøjes med en stjerne mindre end sin forgænger, selvom der er mange lækre detaljer at nyde." [MetalMorfar ]

Link:
http://revolution-music.dk/anm.php?alid=4187

9,5 out of 10 @ Undergrounded.de!

"Bei De Profundis handelt es sich um eine leider noch viel zu unbekannte Progressive Death Metal Band aus Großbritannien, gegründet im Jahre 2005. "The Emptiness Within" ist bereits das dritte Album der Band dass sich an den beiden Scheiben davor messen lassen muss. Die beiden Vorgänger wurden nämlich innerhalb der Metalcommunity mit Lob überschüttet, es gab einen Plattenvertrag bei Kolony Records und massenhaft Auftritte - sogar in Indien!
Bei Progressive Death Metal geht mein erster Gedanke immer an Opeth, welche für mich in diesem Genre absolut ohne Konkurrenz und sowieso eine meiner Lieblingsbands sind. De Profundis hatten jedoch keine Probleme, diesen Test zu bestehen. Jedoch gleich im Voraus: De Profundis sind nicht wie Opeth. Nicht nur, dass sie um einiges melodiöser zu Werke gehen, als die Schweden um Mikael Akerfeldt, die Mannen um De Profundis haben sich insgesamt auch einen ganz eigenen Stil erarbeitet. Bei De Profundis steht der Death Metal klar im Vordergrund, jedoch verlieren sie den Prog-Anteil nicht ganz aus den Augen. Dabei kommt eine solch geniale Mischung aus einer allesumgreifenden Härte, Riffs, die einem hellauf Freude bereiten und einer Atmosphäre, die einen ohne Chance auf Entkommen in seinen Bann zieht, zustande. Und das beginnt schon sofort nach dem sehr vielversprechenden Intro.

Die Grundstimmung der Tracks ist düster, dazu kommen die Drums, eine Wand aus Riffs sowie Craig Lands starke Vocals. De Profundis belassen es bei zwei bis drei Arrangements pro Song, nutzen diese aber vollkommen und in jeder möglichen Variante aus und bieten ein grandioses Ohrkino. Tempiwechsel par excellence, wunderschöne ruhige Passagen, dann wieder Härte à la voll auf die Fresse - De Profundis nehmen bei ihrem Album wirklich alles auseinander und lassen einen vollkommen fertig zurück. Die Insulaner schaffen es scheinbar problemlos immer den richtigen Übergang sowie die richtige Mischung zwischen Härte, Verspieltheit und Progressivität zu finden. Was dabei ensteht, macht einfach nur Spaß.

Was die Herren an ihren Instrumenten leisten, ist wirklich grandios und es ist wirklich schon eine Weile her, seit mich das letzte mal Riffs so begeistern konnten. Die Produktion ist einfach klasse, ist aber auch kein Wunder, denn die Briten durften sich in den Davout-Studios austoben, wo schon Bands wie die Rolling Stones, ACDC oder Ozzy Osbourne ihren runden Datenträgern Leben einhauchten. Einziger Minikritikpunkt: Die spärlich verwendeten cleanen Vocals könnten um einiges besser sein. Aber dieser Minipunkt wird gleich wieder von der Spielfreude der Band erschlagen.

Während des Hörens wird mir aber schmerzhaft bewusst, dass eben solche grandiosen Leistungen von unbekannten Bands viel zu wenig gewürdigt werden. Solche Bands gehören an die Spitze des Metals, denn sie zeigen, wofür Metal steht und wie Metal klingen kann. Doch während weiter irgendwelche, viel zu bekannten Flaschen immer wieder ihr gleiches Material aufwärmen und auf einer neuen Platte auf den Markt werfen, um jede Menge Geld zu scheffeln, verhungern so kleine Acts wie De Profundis aufgrund ihrer Unbekanntheit - Und das ist eindeutig falsch. Fazit: Lasst euch diesen britischen Leckerbissen nicht entgehen und hört euch De Profundis an - jetzt, genau jetzt, auf der Stelle!" [Asgrimur]

Link:
http://www.undergrounded.de/index.p...ws/item/480-de-profundis-the-emptiness-within

85/100 @ Metal-revolution.com!

"Formed in 2005 De Profundis (moniker refers to Psalm 130, traditionally known as the De profundis from its opening words in Latin) has already performed in 22 countries, building its reputation as a strong band, both in studio and on stage.

This Extreme Progressive Metal quintet released its highly-acclaimed 2007 debut Beyond Redemption. One could already five years ago hear all the technical skills and talents the band possesses. In 2010 equally good successor album followed, A Bleak Reflection, showing off the natural evolution and progress this band has taken. Again two more years passed by and this UK band is ready with their third full-length offering entitled The Emptiness Within.

The Emptiness Within consists of nine technically skilled and well-written progressive and almost avant-garde metal tracks. Their line-up has finally been completed and consolidated, and I think one can hear that on this opus. It is much more mature and better executed than the previous two efforts. In despite of roots in the doom/death and black metal scene, this music does not sound grim, but rather fluent.

Alongside those progressive elements, the band successfully adds elements of other (sub) genres of metal. Thus, one can hear additional jazzy intermezzos, acoustic guitars, spoken words and vocals that range from clean chants to death and black metal growls and grunts. There’s also the influence of black metal when it comes to the guitars, which is nice creating this special and captivating atmosphere. In other words; The Emptiness Within has a lot to offer.

My only advice is; go and buy this album, you won’t regret it. This band still has this recognizable and unique trade-mark sound, accompanied by potent song-writing, which will please most fans of Heavy Metal and specially those into Symphony X, Coroner, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Obscura and even mighty Heavy Metal veterans - Iron Maiden." [Bato]

Link:
http://metal-revolution.com/plugins/content/content.php?content.4080

8/10 @ Heaviworlds.com!

"Non fatevi trarre in inganno dal nome, i De Profundis non fanno nè doom nè gothic ma anzi sono fieri alfieri di un progressive death che vanta influenze non solo nelle branchie infinite del metallo ma pesca anche in ambiti più ricercati come il jazz ed il progressive rock.
Dopo un'introduzione strumentale ecco partire la prima sfuriata: fatta di cambi ti tempo continui, riffs elaborati ed alternanze varie anche per quanto riguarda i registri vocali.
Tracce come “ Silent Gods” invece pescano nel calderone della nera fiamma, costruito su un blast beat che potremmo sentire benissimo in un brano dei Marduk ed una voce in screaming alternato growl, il brano trascorre rapidissimo in tutta la sua durata, per poi lasciare spazio alla successiva e meditata “This Wrecked Plague”, la quale da un inizio dichiaratamente progressive si abbandona in un crescendo in puro stile Cynic dei tempi d'oro di Focus, originale qui la strofa accentata alternata al mid tempo.
Poche vie d'uscita per fare un genere così variegato bisogna essere capaci, altrimenti è oltremodo facile risultare banali e noiosi, ma lungi dai De Profundis questo intento, in quanto il lavoro vanta si una gran tecnica ma non certo di quella fine a se stessa che induce l'ascoltatore a chiedersi il perchè dell'ascolto.
Complice anche una produzione a dir poco egregia, più che necessaria per lavori del genere, ed una varietà compositiva non di pochi, i De profundis riescono a passare da sfuriate black metal ad intermezzi prog acustici e ripartire con un drumming brutale senza che quasi ce se ne accorga.
Fan del technical Death metal, patiti di Cynic, Necrophagist ed Obscura fatevi sotto, The Emptiness Within è pane per i vostri denti." [Michele Alluigi]

Link:
http://www.heavyworlds.com/site/index.php/reviews/item/9513-de-profundis-the-emptiness-within

8/10 @ Greekrebels.gr!

"Οι Λονδρέζοι De Profundis, σχηματίσθηκαν το 2005 και από τότε έχουν παίξει ζωντανά σε είκοσι δυο χώρες κι έχουν συμμετάσχει σε διεθνείς περιοδείες, ενώ έχουν λάβει μέρος και σε αρκετά, μεγάλα festivals. Μέσα σε αυτά περιλαμβάνονται support στους Iron Maiden στην Ινδία, περιοδεία με Rotting Christ και μια ζωντανή εμφάνιση στο Bloodstock Open Air. O μοναδικός ήχος της μπάντας έχει επηρεαστεί, όχι μόνο από πολλά παρακλάδια του Heavy Metal, αλλά από progressive και jazz μουσική, επίσης. Το 2007, κυκλοφορούν με τη Sony Music το “Beyond Redemption” και το 2010, το “A Bleak Reflection” με την Kolony Records / Sony Music. Ο τρίτος τους δίσκος “The Emptiness Within”, ηχογραφήθηκε τον Δεκέμβριο του 2011 από τους ίδιους τους De Profundis και τον Fernando Pereira (Misanthrope) και σύντομα θα κυκλοφορήσει και βίντεο για το κομμάτι “Twisted Landscapes”. Το άλμπουμ ηχογραφήθηκε στο Λονδίνο, ενώ η μίξη έγινε στα Studios Davout (Ac/Dc, The Rolling Stones, Ozzy Osbourne), στο Παρίσι. Το mastering είναι δουλειά του Tim Turan (Emperor, Motorhead) και το artwork είναι του Costin Chioreanu / Twilight 13 Media (Mayhem, Darkthrone, Absu). Ο δίσκος , θα κυκλοφορήσει στις 7 Μαΐου 2012 στην Αγγλία και λίγες μέρες μετά, στην υπόλοιπη Ευρώπη. Το The Emptiness Within, αποτελείται από εννέα κομμάτια στο σύνολο (“From The Depths”, “Delirium”, “Silent Gods”, “This Wretched Plague”, “Twisted Landscapes”, “Releae”, “Dead Inside”, “Parallel Existance”, “Unbroken: A Morbid Embrace”) κι έχουν όλα – εκτός από το πρώτο που είναι η εισαγωγή – μεγάλη διάρκεια και progressive δομή. Αυτό σημαίνει πως δεν θα ακούσει κάποιος το άλμπουμ αν θέλει να παρωθεί, ή να κοπανηθεί και σίγουρα κανένα κομμάτι δεν έχει το ρηχό γνώρισμα του “hit”. Όμως είναι ένας δίσκος με αρχή, μέση και τέλος. Μέσα περιέχονται σχεδόν όλων των ειδών οι μελωδίες και οι ρυθμοί. Brutal φωνητικά, blast beats, μελωδικές κι ακουστικές κιθάρες, solos, ταχύτητες, πιάνο, jazz ρυθμοί, δυνατό μπάσο, καθαρά φωνητικά, ατμόσφαιρα…Αν και ήθελα λίγο περισσότερο όγκο στην παραγωγή, όλα τα χαρακτηριστικά που προανέφερα, είναι δεμένα αρμονικά μεταξύ τους και ικανά να μεταφέρουν τον ακροατή, σ’ ένα μουσικό ταξίδι με «ακραίες» πινελιές. Οι λάτρεις των Opeth, θα το συμπαθήσουν πολύ γρήγορα, πάντως!" [Άγγελος Kilmister]

Link:
http://www.greekrebels.gr/component...ndis-the-emptiness-within-kolony?directory=60

8/10 @ Archaicmetallurgy.com!

"I am glad to say, that this is one of those, sadly quite rare, occasions when I feel an urge to thank a label for sending me a promo, and helping me finding another good band. So thank you, Kolony Records! The band in question is De Profundis, who hail from London, England. Their craft is dark, technical yet melodic death metal, and 'The Emptiness Within' is their third full length album to date.

I haven't been able to find a very many interesting bands in technical genres, to tell the truth. Too often it is about technicality over compositions, so it all feels just superficial. Thankfully this is not the case with De Profundis. It does not sound at all like this album was empty. Or soulless, or typical, or boring. No way! These fellows have carved their own niche and can comfortably explore its vast boundaries, which probably have yet to be found.

The intro sounds so typically British, that I was expecting for some Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride or Anathema style material, as I hadn't read the biography sheet which tags the band as extreme progressive metallers. 'Delirium' proved my expectations wrong, even though it has familiar British melodics on it. Technical flairs make De Profundis a very different beast, though. More peculiar rhythms and compositions pull the song into various directions, but it never disperses into too obscure or totally senseless rendering. I feel there is something similar with this and Russian daredevils Hieronymus Bosch. Both bands can go many ways within a song, but it always beautifully holds together, no matter if they suddenly introduce acoustics or whatever they have in mind. Some bits lifted from the likes of melodic death metal, especially Dark Tranquillity's 'The Gallery' (1995) style with classical music elegance. For example, the closing riff on the album sounds very much like a tribute to Swedish legends and to that album. Melancholiness is a big part of the band's state of mind, but so is shackled, delicate anger.

'Silent Gods' owes quite a bit to Death's technical era (e.g. 'Symbolic' [1995]). Generally, a fretless bass is utilized on this album, and it takes a big, quite trippy, role everywhere. Varying and able drumming is also an extremely important factor in the band's sound. The rhythm section isn't only doing rhythms, but are vital fragments to the whole. They are not technical just to make it sound eccentric, but because of coherence. Mainly the pace of the music is somewhere between mid-paced and faster, with some occasional blasting. Grunting and growling vocals are quite varying, too, with some more shrieking ones layered to give this demonic effect. Some clean vocals are heard, with low and wretched tone, not far from Garm of Ulver. Guitar solos are fantastic, as they are truly composed and not just bursted out. There are synthesizers utilized sometimes, but just to back up melodically, or atmosphere-wise. The music of De Profundis is multi-layered. It is still coherent and not labyrinthine in a negative way. At times, it can be very clear, sometimes more murky. Whatever mood is preferred. 'Release' contains a jazzy ending, which is about the sole odd compositional decision I can find here. 'Parallel Existence' sounds surprisingly calming, before entering harsher realms. Here the band show the power of instrumental music. It's rather purposeless to point out, that there is a lot to hear and discover on 'The Emptiness Within'.

Instruments are nicely balanced between in the mix. The soundscape exhales and pulsates, sending big amounts of aural information all the time. It sounds timeless, as it harks back to the early 1990's, but still has the other foot in modern times. The cover artwork reminds of older Travis Smith creations. The lyrical themes can be seen on it, as they circle around human weaknesses, be it alcohol, religions, madness or other illnesses. Stylish writings show, that they speak in their mother tongue.

It's not often, when a technical metal release is as catchy as this, or as colourfully created and played, or simply put; so inviting. If melodic death metal and melancholic English stuff is what you enjoy, I think you can't go wrong with 'The Emptiness Within'." [Lane]

Link:
http://archaicmetallurgy.com/review.php?rid=1058