dead room or maybe just some dampening?

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
recording vox......

our practice spot has some foam and blankets on the walls and carpet on floor so its not a real bright room but not dead either.

My question is should i make a little room with blankets or just record vox in the room like it is maybe put the Mic right up to wall with foam on it with no blankets on the sides???

just some tips would be cool ...

deader better ???

This is definately one to try and see what happens, and what results you prefer. A room thats too dead will strip all life out of vocals, while one that is "live" but untreated will just sound shit. Id try to experiment with deadening the room, then bringing in wood/ reflective materials and having them under the singer and/or a few feet behind him at random angles. Though it could go very wrong, very quickly.
I think the best place would be in the centre of a relatively dead room. Just watch the mic placement and where the reflections are gona be coming from. (yes i know, its a dead room, what reflections? but a dead room may sound boxy if its small enough).

Just to complement Nebulous tips.
Has worked for me:

Make it dead.
Now start taking some of the dampening off
When you start to hear a acoustic space kinda *wrapping* the voice, when you start to hear a room, stop there maybe dead it up a bit. Up to your taste.
You can make it sound dead but not killing all the high freq.
There are books (problably on the net also) that has charts showing absortion coeficients of diferent materials, helps a lot.