Dead Soul Tribe or Psychotic Waltz?

EDVANTASIA

Mar 24, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Ok, So Buddy Lackey the unique voice of one of Prog metals pinoeers "PSYCHOTIC WALTZ", Is now known as Devon Graves and fronts "Dead Soul Tribe". While I absolutely love PW and Buddy Lackey. I find DST and Devon Graves damn near unlistenable. So my question is. How do other people feel about these bands, and which band in their opinion is better.

Definitely Pychotic Waltz. I did like the first DST release - A Murder of Crows. A friend of mine who was a huge PW fan absolutely cannot stand DST.

I'd give anything to see a PW reunion!

Harvester said:
I consider PW one of my top 20 bands all-time while I have yet to sit through an entire DST disc.

...explaining why I may never see DST in America....

Can you recommend PW discs?

Dead Soul Tribe is a very good band. A Murder of Corws being their best record!

Harvester said:
I consider PW one of my top 20 bands all-time while I have yet to sit through an entire DST disc.

Growing up in san diego i was in their legion, Norm Leggio(drums) good friend
of mine runs the only true metal store here, & has a 2 hr show sunday nights on rock 105.3 of real metal in all the genres, he mentioned to me that he is
ready if a reunion happens, maybe prog power?????

we can hope for right Glenn

Greykiller said:
...explaining why I may never see DST in America....

Can you recommend PW discs?

I recommend them all. However, each one is soooo different that it makes for a terrible reference point. Your best bet is to grab one of the Metal Blade re-releases that packages two releases as one.

Personally, I like "A Social Grace" the most. You can check out cuts from three of them at:

http://www.myspace.com/psychoticwaltzing

And for those unaware, I did attempt to get PW reunion. Devon was a very gracious and nice guy, but he left me with a bitter taste after our last correspondance, "If we are going to do it and I don't think we ever will, why would we do it there? It would need to be done here (Europe) because nobody knows us over there."

grrrrr

well there goes either of those bands ever appearing at PPUSA!! LOL

Harvester said:
I don't think that it matters since Devon doesn't care, but I hope Dan, Norm, and the rest know there is a standing invitation for PW.

I have spoken with Norm and Brian about it at length, and a good friend has spoken with Dan. The three have shown some keen interest. My best friend lives with Norm, actually, so I've been doing my damndest to try to make something like this happen.

Glenn, I'd be more than happy to try striking up some fan/friend conversations with Buddy, err, Devon, just to see what can become of it. I'm pretty sure he woudn't know what hit him, performing at ProgPower.

The odd thing is... they all seem genuinely surprised to hear that people still adore them. Go figure.

I spoke to Devon about PW several times. He said it will never happen. He is perfectly happy with DST. He gets to tour. He can make a living off of it here in Europe too. Besides, he's right PW was never big Stateside. Most of their fans were from Europe.

'A Murder of Crows' is actually DST's second release..and I preferred the s/t and the 3rd cd, 'The January Tree' over it. I haven't heard enough PW to form a preference between the two bands, but would LOVE to see DST at ProgPower. :)

I think people would shit twice if PW ever reunited to play PPUSA!!!! That would be so awesome!!!

13ShadesofGray said:
I have spoken with Norm and Brian about it at length, and a good friend has spoken with Dan. The three have shown some keen interest. My best friend lives with Norm, actually, so I've been doing my damndest to try to make something like this happen.

Glenn, I'd be more than happy to try striking up some fan/friend conversations with Buddy, err, Devon, just to see what can become of it. I'm pretty sure he woudn't know what hit him, performing at ProgPower.

The odd thing is... they all seem genuinely surprised to hear that people still adore them. Go figure.

Harvester said:

I got into PW late, having bought their last CD just as they dis-banded. Thanks to Ken Golden, I know have all of their material, and each CD is totally different. However, I do like several cuts form each. I would pay to see those guys get back together. As for DST, it's ok if you pick and choose. The last release was rushed in my opinion. It doesn't stand out like The January Tree, or the first CD did. I could watch them Play, if they did a few PW songs.:headbang:

Harvester said:
I don't think that it matters since Devon doesn't care, but I hope Dan, Norm, and the rest know there is a standing invitation for PW.

I'm glad someone started this thread. I have been a huge fan of PW since their inception as Aslan in the early 90's. I agree with Glenn. While personally my favorite album is "A Social Grace", I love them all, most notably "Into The Everflow", "Bleeding" & "Mosquito". They are all very different so recommending one is very hard.

As Shades mentioned a very close friend of ours, lives with Norm Leggio. Drummer of PW...His current project, "Broken Foundation" has just released a new album less then 2 weeks ago. This project kicks all sorts of ass and I would recommend it to anyone. You may also know Norms work from "Teabag" his band prior to Broken Foundation. I will pass on Glenn's standing invitation to Norm so that he is aware. I would do anything to see Psychotic Waltz again, especially on a ProgPower stage. I couldn't think of a better selection for a PP.

I would put Psychotic Waltz in my top 10 bands of all time. Their music isn't just incredible it is emotional and really has a profound impact on me every time I listen to them. Psychotic Waltz is a truely special band. It was such a shame to see them break up. Hats off to those guys. Pray for a reunion :kickass: I will do my best to influence them :heh: