Deadly Embrace - Legacy stories???

toilethead

Apr 18, 2002
Bay Area
www.digitalarson.net
Hey Deadly, tell us some old war stories from the humble beginnings of Testament. Not just "it was cool to see Zetro up there and watching Alex Surely you must have some unique or interesting stories from an early Legacy/Testament gig or two. What are some particularly interesting old memories that stand out???

toilethead said:
Hey Deadly, tell us some old war stories from the humble beginnings of Testament. Not just "it was cool to see Zetro up there and watching Alex Surely you must have some unique or interesting stories from an early Legacy/Testament gig or two. What are some particularly interesting old memories that stand out???
Lets see, I was at the SF Stone on Broadway, Legacy was playing, but I don't recall with who, but I was really into their music, it was like so advanced for that period. I can remember thinking these guys are so good, so different, I think I'd seen them once before, but I was really impressed & wanted to really check them out from up front. I watched their set, & after, just wanted to talk to them, & meet them. I just knew this new group was what I wanted in music, to continue to evolve, I mean at the time I was into Metallica(number 2), and Laaz Rockit(number 1), but I thought, wow, these guys are so young, but so good!.......after they played I was at the bar, & Steve "Zetro" Souza walks up, he was wearing a white Tshirt, under his famous Levi jacket(sleeves cut off) later he had sewn on the Bonded By Blood album cover, on the back)......I went up to him, & asked him if I could buy him a drink.......we talked for awhile.......& I can remember he asked me what my name was........anyway it was a meeting I never would forget, & a friend who I have for life........next time they played, he came up to me! and said hows it going Walter?.......I can remember just thinking, this guys super cool, no attitude, & knows my name.....I was blown away, thats how it started...........he was the first Legacy member I got to know, I would go to every show, wherever they played, I was hooked!......Later Steve would join Exodus, I was there for his first shows(2 nights) at The Farm......& some time later, I got the job to drive the Equipment truck around the US, for EXO.....
Pleasures Of The Flesh Tour......Anthrax(Amoung The Living), Exodus, & Celtic Frost.....that was so special, Exodus had become my favorite band, & that was my first tour & Zetro's too. And thats wear I first meet Johnny Tempesta(Anthrax drumm tech)....but thats another story........I was so lucky, to be working for my favorite band, & just traveling the states & Europe, it was like a dream, & we were always just partying our asses off, just full steam.......alcohol, girls, fights, drugs, blood,destroying everything, (it was like wow I glad I'm still alive), it was so crazy back then....Exodus was the craziest(out of all the bands back then)......we never slowed down.....Go fast....and I've never had so much fun! I'm so mellow(now), compared to
back then(so is everyone)................I'll post more Legacy stories later.......

Another time I remember that they were playing at The Guernville Theater(Russian River).....about an hour & a half from SF......I was with Kirk Hammet, & we were drinking, & doing some coke(it was an 80's thing).....anyway we were pretty buzzed, & we watched the show up from the upstairs balcony, this was right before Zetro left Legacy......what sticks to my mind was a comment by Kirk........He said, "Wow, these guys are really good!"......"they remind me of how I was, when I was in Exodus"....in other words they had a special stage presence, not polished but, but very raw, but they have the making of being a top notch band, if they continued down that road.....who knows how things would have changed if Zetro never would have left Legacy(biggest selling Demo of all at the time)......and they recorded The Legacy without Chuck. And if Baloff, stayed in Exodus, or if Chuck took the helm of Exodus, now what would have happened...........its just to heavy to comprehend!

Thanks for the posts. Any stories from the early 80s thrash scene (all bands) are welcome. You should definitely write a first-hand memoirs of all the shit you can remember from back then... this shit's interesting for someone who didn't get into it til 88. :)

Valofvalhalla said:
I really liked the Kirk Hammett story he told me the other day. That was killer! DE has some hard core stories huh MI? :loco:
Yep..that DE is a regular metal story encyclopedia....if he will ever post again...or answer messages!!

estigma2001 said:
hey deadly something about forbidden and testament?
What comes to mind is back in the 80's, when we were touring, was how everyone was so weight concious.........Forbidden & Testament were all on Nutri systems, even me........it's so hard being on the road & not eating all the crap, & not eating out......it took control, to choose which night you would drink, & not fuck the diet up, I was never so thin in my life, we were all wearing black strech Jeans(from London).......all dressed in black.....its a trip to think back on it.......but if you look at some pictures back then, you'll see everyone was so thin, appearance meant more back in the 80's.......even for me. I remember Chuck having a trainer on tour, just working out with wheights, & playing basketball at gyms while on tour......he was in great shape back then, we all were.......now Exodus:.....Zetro was on the program also, but the rest of the guys did'nt need to.......so their was pressure from them for Zetro to look as good and thin as the rest of them......and of course
I had to diet with Zet, just to keep him motivated, those were the days, packaged meals on the tour buses....HaHa......that was a trip!

That's a great memory DE. It's so true , when you look at old pics of the band , Louie Clemente started out really chunky in 1987, then he got super thin from practice to souls. All the guys seemed extremly in shape and thin. Especially Greg Christian. These days it seems like all the bands are overweight and no one cares where as in the 80's it was the opposite. Since the internet and computers have gotten so popular we're all getting fat !!! hahahahh

Seriously, yeah...have you guys seen Nevermore lately? Wally and Van are pretty chubby, and Jeff Loomis is fuckin OBESE. He looks almost as bad as Michael Romeo from Symphony X. But hey, as long as they're playing good music, they can do whatever they want to their bodies - whether it's heroin or Big Macs.

But if Angela Gossow lets herself go, I will go psycho.