Death Angel Listening party review

Thantos

New Metal Member
Dec 16, 2007
So I was lucky enough to attend the invite only preview of the new DEATH ANGEL album KILLING SEASON. With the whole crew of Death Angel present and accounted for at the “Roxy” in Hollywood. After two complete listenings of their new album this is what I walked away with………..a Crushing Sonic Metal Beat Down! From start to finish this album is everything that you would want or expect from a Death Angel album. Only it’s on fucking steroids!!! It has the crushingly heavy and fury driven rhythm and bass guitar (Ted Aguilar and Dennis Peppa) that seems to constantly be changing directions with breakdown after breakdown, and just when you think that there is nowhere left for it to go, it changes direction again and takes you on another sickening ride, that you did not think was possible.

Now, let’s throw in the solos from hell, that’s right these are some of the most blazingly fast and clean solo chops I have ever heard! Rob Cavestany does not come up short in this department. This album holds some of the best layered and rhythmically flowing solo’s possible. You all know what I mean, these are the types of solo’s that tell a story and helps take you on the journey, which is the song. Oh, did I mention the guitar tones? Purely and simply SICK, SICK, SICK!!! And now on to the drums! Drum gods and geeks alike will love this album strictly for the way the overall drum tone and sound was captured.

Andy Galeon’s drum tone and playing, sounds insanely huge and percussive, with a precise, cleanly driven attack, and without being overbearing or diffusing to the rest of the band. Rolex could set their watches to the precision and speed in his playing! And now last but not least, the vocals! Mark Osequeda’s vocals on this album are massively driven and powerfully smooth. As the bands story teller, Mark’s voice instantly allows you to be pulled into the song and be rhythmically and vocally carried along. Oh yes, lets not forget the harmonies people! If you are a Death Angel fan then you will know what I mean! When Mark and Rob lay down the vocal harmonies it takes the song to a whole new level. And yes, there are even a few acoustic parts that will make your panties wet!

This album (KILLING SEASON) is what I would term, Death Angels Act IV. It has all of the elements and components that made up their Act III album. Yet, with a much, much heavier and insanely “riff-fueled” darker flavor. Produced by Nick Raskulinecz, (who has previously worked with FOO FIGHTERS, RUSH, VELVET REVOLVER, SHADOWS FALL and STONE SOUR), among other acts, has definitely captured the essence that is DEATH ANGEL, while being able to inject his own magic on this project without concealing their flavor.

DEATH ANGEL will release their new album, "Killing Season", on February 26, 2008 via Nuclear Blast Records.

DEATH ANGEL's latest CD, "The Art of Dying", was released in May 2004 through Nuclear Blast Records. The group's first studio album since 1990's "Act III" was recorded at SF Soundworks studios in San Francisco, California with producer Brian Joseph Dobbs (VOIVOD, MANMADEGOD).

Hey all,
Here's some art work from the NB web site. All those views and NO feed back? Did you like the review? How about Death Angel? Is anyone excited about their new album? Come on people talk to me ! ! !:headbang:

thumb.php.jpg