Death/Black Metal Bands

shit i got a lot of listening to do:D but i dun mind, opeth has saved me from crap metal, lets not get into details, Emperor Rock, Soilwork Rock, Opeth are Gods, now to move onto everything, and i have been growing my hair, its bout shoulder length, and im a ranga, \m/

Reactions: illbeleavinnow
Melodic Death Metal:
Dark Tranquillity (but you already know them)
Soilwork (ditto)
In Flames (avoid their latest album, it's not as good as the others)
At The Gates (the classic)
Gardenian

and if you just can't get enough of that melodic death stuff:
Hypocrisy
Children Of Bodom
The Defaced
Omnium Gatherum
Callenish Circle
Withering Surface

more "Deathy" are these:
Amon Amarth (epic viking stuff, all their albums are very similar, but still definitely recommended)
Kataklysm (their more recent albums)
God Dethroned

REALLY "Deathy":
Nile
Dying Fetus
Bloodbath

Melodic Black/Death:
Dissection (classic...)
Naglfar

Good Black Metal:
Enslaved (their more recent albums are original and very good)
Burzum (mid-era: before the synth stuff)
Marduk (highly entertaining BM)
Satyricon
Nocte Obducta

Other interesting "extreme" stuff:
Arcturus (strange prog stuff with black roots)
Disbelief (Death-Melodic-Core-Whatever, but good)
Nasum (The best grindcore band)
Neurosis (Prog-Core...?)
Solefald (weird but great)

That should be enough for now...

I also highly recommend The Chasm's latest, Conjuration of the Spectral Empire.

illbeleavinnow said:
You forgot Death and Morbid Angel. They're very deathy and they defined the genre.
I didn't forget them. I could have mentioned some other Death Metal bands as well, but I only named my faves because he asked for melodic stuff mainly...

...Oh, and I absolutely dislike Morbid Angel. Death is quite good, though (especially Symbolic).

For a sortof death metal, doomish sounding band, you MUST check out Dismember... they are godlike.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, download "Overide of the Overture" by Dismember, it is amazing, and has one of the catchiest riffs ever in the middle.

Dismember are good. Try the album the song that Smitty recommended is from - Like an Ever-flowing Stream.

-Desecrated- said:
All I have to say is Windir. They've been kicking my ass lately. Their latest release is orgasmic. Oh yeah, and they're black metal.
\m/ I concur!

I have Windir's album 'Likferdt', and it's simply awesome...I'm definetely getting the rest of their catalogue in the near future.

Also, I can't be bothered to read all the replies you've gotten so far, so I'm just gonna reccomend a few black metal bands which I'm sure everyone has already mentioned :

Dissection (get storm of the light's bane...amazing album)
Taake
Negura Bunget
Enslaved
Mayhem
Immortal
Naglfar

As for death metal, I'll only reccomend two bands which have been owning me as of late:

Suffocation
and
Carcass (their earlier work is grindcore, I think).

Oh, and one melodic DM band which I don't think anyone has mentioned (and they should be mandatory):

Edge of Sanity

Check out their absolute masterpiece, Crimson, a 40 minute song/album which is nothing short of amazing. Also, check out Purgatory Afterglow.