Gimme some killer Black Metal bands!

Jun 27, 2003
Well i guess i would call myself more of a death metal fan, but recently black metal has really been growing on me. or at least the more easily to find black metal (dimmu for instance). and i figured many of you would know a shit load of excellent black metal bands. so....any suggestions?? :)

cool thanks, yea ive heard some old mans child, theyre pretty awesum. i also looked into Dragonlord, theyre coming to the seattle metalfest so i thought i would check them out. they totally rule imo.

I really don't know what kind of black metal you're looking for, so I'll just list some bands, and you can sort through 'em.

Aborym
Akercocke
Arcturus
Borknagar
Dawn
Diabolicum
Dissection
Emperor
Enslaved
Geasa
Golden Dawn
Graveland
Immortal
Negura Bunget
Red Harvest
Samael
Sigh
Thee Maldoror Kollective
Ulver
Woodtemple

Damnit man, there are DOZENS of threads just like this one...but well, bitching about it won't make it go away :rolleyes:

I can't STAND old man's child.......I don't know, I guess I just dislike most "symphonic" black metal.

Grand Alchemist is a good band in this so called subgenre though. And yeah, I don't like Dimmu or CoF either, but to each his own.
If you want awesome black metal, then check out the following:

Dissection-Storm of the Light's Bane (more like black/death but brilliant) and The Somberlain

Emperor-Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk, Prometheus (these are ABSOLUTELY mandatory)

Naglfar-Sheol

Immortal-At the heart of Winter

Taake-Bjoergvin (sp?)

Windir-Likferd

Negura Bunget-'N Crugu Bradului (my favorite right now)

Negura Bunget-Sala Moska (sp?)

And for more adventurous, avantgarde BM, check out Arcturus and Borknagar (ok, so I don't know if they're BM, sue me)......and maybe even Bethlehem (same).

Etcetera, etcetera

Of the ones that have been mentioned, you MUST get, even though some aren't really black:
Immortal
Emperor
Enslaved
Mayhem
Burzum
Darkthrone
Ulver
Old Man's Child
Dissection
Taake
Negura Bunget
Borknagar
Arcturus
Windir
Naglfar
Melechesh
Dawn

Melechesh... great? Yeah right. More like a very quickly tiring curiosity. Approach with extreme caution as they are about as good as synthetic sugar substitute.

Here's whatcha need:

KorovaKill - Waterhells
Ved Buens Ende - Written in Waters
...and Oceans - The Symmetry of I / The Circle of O
Lux Occulta - The Mother and the Enemy
Fluerety - Min Tid Skal Komme
Sigh - Hail Horror Hail
Mayhem - Grand Declaration of War (perhaps one of the most underrated metal albums ever and the best example of a previous hugely overrated band becoming finally worthy of their status and instantly become hated for it)
Weakling - Dead as Dreams

Check out Nagelfar too. They're German. I only have one album (Hünengrab Im Herbst) but it's nice. They remind me a little of later Enslaved.

LuminousAether said:
Lux Occulta - The Mother and the Enemy
Fuck, *I* didn't know they were considered black...
Mayhem - Grand Declaration of War (perhaps one of the most underrated metal albums ever and the best example of a previous hugely overrated band becoming finally worthy of their status and instantly become hated for it)
WOAH.
everytime I think I could never get alont with you, you go and surprise me and like something I do hahhaa

I dunno about the overrated before yadda yadda part, but I love GDoW meself :)