Death-core band I'm working on

This is a project the band has tracked themselves (with some guidance from me via msn). They are recording vocals in a studio next Monday, but I thought I'd start prepping files and having a play around. I went for a dirty/chunky sound with this one, but still wanted to maintain some clarity.

What do you think?

Song 2 WITH VOCALS

Direct download

EDIT: Uploaded with a better (direct) link.

Hey....

To be honest, snare drum sounds very weird to me.... Dunno, maybe this is the sound you're lookin' for, but for me, it doesn't fit in a song.... Perhaps you should try to find out something smiliar like.... like abyssofdreams have.... Otherwise guitar sounds cool to me.

Anyway, good job. Keep up the good work.

Sounds great like always. I like the snare sound personally. I don't think the bass is too high in the mix. I like it when I can actually hear the bass guitar.

Sounds really good!
Is it still gearbox on the guitars? They sound great. Maybe you'd like to tell us what you've done with the guitars? Perhaps a preset if it's still gearbox?

Yeah guitars are still Gearbox. Nothing special going on try a tubescreamer, dual rectifier sim, mesa cab sim, 57 on axis and batter your guitar. Remember to keep the gain low, and adjust your EQ untill it sounds right.

A preset wouldn't help much. A big contributor to the guitars is the bass guitar - that really helps to fill the sound out.

i like the mix

snare should be tuned slightly to my taste, maybe less lowend

share your bass+guitars tips )

Thanks for the tips!
I'm having problems getting the EQ right. I know you have to mix alot to get a feel for the eq but if you could give any tips on what frequencies you boosted/cut in that mix it would be highly appreciated!