death ish metal mix.... hows my low end/overall mix

Jan 23, 2006
hey guys, i havnt posted on here in a long time. i tend to have a wierd low end problem in my studio (large bass null) ive since somewhat fixed it with bass traps and adjusting my mixes by just knowing how my room sounds. i still feel like i could get better low end, can you guys give a listen and let me know what you think? drums are fairly crappy sounding i think, kick is %100 sampled, snare 50 50, toms are %80 natural. guitars are splawn quickrod and 5150 running together for each track. bass was direct in. all monitored through KRK RP8s

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6841151&q=hi

Sounds cool.

Drums do not sound bad but quite off-time or something (especially the kick).

Song sounds very ASP-like, and also a bit like Burning Skies. Deathcore.

I'd use more bass low-end. I hardly hear the bass.

The guitars sound very good.

I'd agree with there not being enough low end. You've gone too far in an effort to make the sound less muddy. Where's the fucking THUNDER dude?

Guitars sound AMAZING though. The Quickrod's one hell of an emp, eh? Haha.

haha i knew somone was going to say somthing about the sloppy drums... its the price i have to pay for using logic and not having beat detective. bands that i record never have the willpower too do take after take to make things perfect....or the money for that matter. i feel like im still having trouble with the low end. its either muddy, or thin, never right in the middle. any pointers?

Since you're having low end problems, I'd just roll off pretty much everything at around 100hz and mix from there upwards.
I can't even fucking hear the subbass on my equipment, so I just keep it as controlled as I possibly can, and by controlled I fucking handcuff it to my bed and make it my bitch.
The only thing I don't HP is the bass. But I do compress everything from 90hz downwards a bit with a multiband compressor, just to make sure it's not booming randomly. Just to make sure its totally tame.

I focus on the 100-200hz range mostly, and try and add as much power at 100hz and thickness at 200hz as I can get away with.

I'll probably get shot down for even suggesting to pretty much ignore the subbass, but meh.