Death - Live in L.A. (Death & Raw)

Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
DEATH - LIVE IN LA (DEATH AND RAW)
Nuclear Blast - 2001

By Rodrigo

I remember very clearly the first time I heard Death. At the time Human came out I had not heard anything quite like it. Admittedly, I was not into death metal at all and it was mainly due to the singing. I immediately warmed up to Chuck’s singing and there began my love for Death and death metal. In my mind there is still not one death metal band that matches the genius of what Chuck and his ever revolving band mates put out.

On to the present and to Live in L.A. (Death and Raw) which will become the legendary band’s last album. Prior to Chuck’s medical problems it was announced that The Sound of Perseverance would probably become Death’s last studio album. Chuck was tired of singing and wanted to focus on playing guitar and writing music. The result was Control Denied and that became the main project of Chuck. All that was missing in the storied career of Death was a live album and after lots of delays, the first live Death album has finally been released and it belongs on the collection of every Death fan.

Recorded at the famous Whiskey a Go-Go in Hollywood, Live in L.A. also serves as a greatest hits effort because almost every single album is represented (the one omission is Spiritual Healing). Seven of the songs come from the last studio albums Symbolic and The Sound of Perseverance, arguably their two best albums. Some of the inclusions from these two albums are “Empty Words”, “Crystal Mountain” and “Scavenger of Human Sorrow”. I truly wish that “Misanthrope” would have been included not only because it ranks as one of my favorite Death songs but also because I would have loved to see how drummer Richard Christy would have pulled that song off. His performance is truly great and it reaffirms my opinion (my apologies to Gene Hoglan and Sean Reinert both excellent drummers) that he is the best drummer Death had. Other excellent songs include “The Philosopher”, “Zombie Ritual“, “Together as One” and “Pull the Plug”. Chuck himself is very engaging with the LA crowd. He is friendly, grateful and happy to see that “the metal scene is alive and well in LA.”

This album was recorded from the soundboard and it manages to capture the intensity of the music and the excitement of the crowd. It is not perfect but the overall quality is excellent and puts other live albums that have been meticulously mixed to shame, the first example that immediately comes to mind is the live album of In Flames.

Included in every copy of this album will be information on how to order an other Death live album Live in Eindhoven that will only be available through the Nuclear Blast mail order. A percentage of each sale of that planned release will be donated to Chuck Shuldiner Medical Fund. Let’s all due our part to help one of metal’s greatest figures.

Visit the Death website.
Visit the Nuclear Blast website.