DEATH MAGNETIC

it just seems like once you hit 40 you cant do it anymore. as far as thrash goes. you kind of have to be young and a little pissed of do do it well.

Ist fuckign wank. That Was Just Your Life was alright-ish but having heard the whole thing, I'd sooner copnsume my own testicles and regurgitate them on my face than listen to Death Magnetic again.

Lars, sod off - you're old and useless now!!

Yes, I downloaded it, I couldnt wait, my copy is probably in the mail getting home so....it doesnt matter if I download it coz I have already paid!
I must say that I like it a lot, even if its not the best album theyve done. The first 3 tracks are killer. Thats my opinion anyway. :)

One more thing, the drums are the worst part of the album, its not the actual drumming which is ok. But the drums seem like they clip, especially the snare, so Im always wondering if its a crap mp3, or its just recorded that way. But apparently its supposed to sound like that......WTF? It times it just sounds horrible. It seems like he wants to do something original with his drum sound and he can never figure it out. hahahaha

My initial thoughts...

Since then, I've listened about 4-5 times more. It's ok - it's not brilliant, although there are some (as I said) cracking riffs on there. Some of the songs suffer from being too long, while some of them suit the length of the song.....but there are some absolute stinking songs on there too ('Broken Beat & Scarred' & 'My apocalypse')

Out of the songs I'd heard before the leak, Cyanide is the one I'm most surprised by....the live video that came out doesn't do the song justice. It's great. And 'The day that never comes' fits in nicely on the album, and gains from that (it's after 'Broken Beat & Scarred') But as I said, 'My apocalypse' is just pants.

It's growing on me but I don't think I'll be hailing it a masterpiece, unlike some people elsewhere on other forums. And the instrumental is still my favourite track.

Its definitely a step in the right direction for Metallica, they are using their thrash skills again, and old school song arrangement styles. Really its like a mixture of all their albums in one fat greasy package of newer Metallica, if your a fan only better things come out of Death magnetic than St Wanker. Though the songs may not be amazing, I found a few riffs and leads here and there were I got chills and said fuck yeah again.

It's OK, without being great or rubbish. I'm loving 'All Nightmare Long' in particular. The album seems to be more of a grower for me, every time I hear it I find something more to like. There are some bad points though... Kirk Hammet may be playing better than for a while but there's still way too much wah, and the solo in track 2 is just plain horrible.

parts of death magnetic distort badly most noticeable on "the day that never comes" i've just emailed metallica about it to ask if they are looking into some sort of solution to cure this distortion problem or is it just going to be left as it is. doubt i'll get any reply but its worth a try. good album overwise. best since the black album

parts of death magnetic distort badly most noticeable on "the day that never comes" i've just emailed metallica about it to ask if they are looking into some sort of solution to cure this distortion problem or is it just going to be left as it is. doubt i'll get any reply but its worth a try. good album overwise. best since the black album

its the drums....and they mixed it that way, they actually wanted it to sound like that :lol:

My mate bought it on saturday, like 3 hours after it officially came out, and we listened to it in the car on the 3 hour drive up from sydney after seeing the mighty JUDAS PRIEST.

It was a bit of a let down, there's about 3 decent songs on the whole album.

Its better then St.Anger thats for sure...and anything better then St.Anger is good according to me :lol:

It's probably fully grown on me now....and the verdict is:

"That was just your life" - 4/10
"The end of the line" - 4/10
"Broken, Beat & Scarred" - nul points!
"The day that never comes" - 6/10
"All nightmare long" - 7/10
"Cyanide" - 7/10
"The unforgiven III" - 7/10
"The judas kiss" - 4/10 (1 extra point for the miami vice drum fill near the start)
"Suicide & Redemption" - 8/10
"My apocalypse" - nul points!

So, total of 47/100 from me.

It's got elements of something that could be brilliant, but it falls short of that. Still miles better than St. Anger though.

I would not be surprised if they did some writing while on tour, and went straight back into the studio when they finished touring - and a quick album out of that. Get in, do the stuff, get out....don't fanny around for 5 years.

Ugh, I listened to it once all the way through and thought "never again". The Day that Never Comes and My Apocalypse were the only ones I could listen to more than once. The songs were wayyyyyy too long. I've got an edited version of Cyanide which is about 3 minutes long and it's a vast improvement but it still seems to be missing something.