Death metal Documentary

BillZebub

Mar 23, 2003
Clifton, NJ
www.thegrimoire.com
I have recently finished editing a documentary about death metal. It was done in haste, so I was not able to interview some of the bands that I had intended. I might, however, make a re-edit in the future. The documentary, as it has been edited, was deemed good enough for a record label to release it in Europe (I am releasing it here in the States)

This post is not intended to to promote the documentary; rather, I want to ask for some of your opinions. Based on what I learn from you, I will see if my presentation has missed anything vital. So if you have the time, or the inclination, please respond to any of the following questions:

1. Which bands would you personally love to see in a death metal documetentary?
2. According to your personal tastes, is it OK for a death metal documentary to be filmed raw, or does it have to have Hollywood quality picture and sound?
3. What kind of topics would you expect to be explored in a death metal documentary?
4. What would you hate to see in a death metal documentary?
5. Do you think that a death metal documentary should be targeted for people who already know about death metal, or do you think that it should be made for the general public?
6. Is it pointless to make a death metal documentary? What would make you go out and buy it?
7. If the price of the documentary is low, would that make you conider it a low-quality DVD that does not deserve your attention, or do prefer a low price? What is the perfect price for a 2-hour documentary?

You may also list any additional comments not encompassed by the questions. Thanks for your time.

Duran Duran, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Tears for Fears......haha, well, it would be funky anyway. Ummm, I dunno. Well, you'd need the originators eh? I'm not an expert on that, but i'd like to see Suffocation and Deicide anyway. It'd be cool to have modern bands mentioned too, like, um Decapitated, and, uh, I don't know.

2. According to your personal tastes, is it OK for a death metal documentary to be filmed raw, or does it have to have Hollywood quality picture and sound?

Either or, as long as it's got good sound quality. :D

3. What kind of topics would you expect to be explored in a death metal documentary?
Death metal~ :headbang: That wasn't very helpful was it? =) Not sure, but I would definately like to see informed coverage of the philosophical/idealogical/social phenomena surrounding it's origins and intentions. I think that would be required for a kickass documentary.

Nu-metal :yuk:

5. Do you think that a death metal documentary should be targeted for people who already know about death metal, or do you think that it should be made for the general public?

Eeee that's a hard one dude. I would say somewhere inbetween; something that the death metal community could be proud of, but also something illuminating to people already into some form of alternative music. It would have to be too dumbed-down a documentary to properly get through to, or recognised by, the general public. I doubt they wanna know.

6. Is it pointless to make a death metal documentary? What would make you go out and buy it?

Not at all!!!! I'd buy it if it was available to me! It would be a cool tool to have.

7. If the price of the documentary is low, would that make you conider it a low-quality DVD that does not deserve your attention, or do prefer a low price? What is the perfect price for a 2-hour documentary?

I dunno, i'm an interloper between nations, and I don't know where you intend to sell it. :) Given that I usually live in Britain, i'd say a decent british price would be something like 8 to 14 pounds. Fuck man, these stupid American keyboards don't have pound signs. That's stupid man, british keyboards have dollar signs. That's the thing I hate about the fucking american business/political/industrial machine, it really only thinks about itself. BLAH.

PS. It did function as self-promo too. :p But that's ok in my book. Tis a kewl thread.

Any band that has played a significant part in the scene!

It sure is!!! Leave the glitz and glamour to the rich bastards in Tinsel Town, even though it would be cool to have a semi-decent production.

The first death metal bands, and how the internet has helped/hurt the scene.

I know this will be on there no matter what but...band hos. :yuk:

Both. It should be something to entertain the death metal community and to educate outsiders on what really makes it what it is, that we're all not a bunch of stupid, dirty devil-worshippers! :D

Actually, it's a great idea...something that could only be conjured up by you, Mr. Zebub.

Somewhere between the $10.00-$16.00 bracket would be nice. Anything more and you can forget about me buying it. :)

I hope my feedback wasn't too lame.

Wow! This is exactly what I am looking for!!! Keep posting. What I might do is send out some free "screeners" next week for you to evaluate (not looking for praise - I am looking for honesty). I'll Email a couple of you and ask you if you would like to receive a copy in exchange for your super-honest critique.

I posted some questions on totally un-metal boards in other sites because I wanted to know what the general public deems a metalhead to be. Most of the people who replied do not seem to distinguish an undergrounder from a poser. They lump everyone into the sterotypical "dumb metalhead". Again, I asked for totally honest replies, and since this is a matter of opinion, it is not something for me to argue - the point of all my questions is to learn something about various social groups and their perceptions. These non-metal people almost unanimously viewed a metalhead as an underachiever (someone who pumps gas for a living), and anyone who is past the teen years and still wears concert shirts is especially looked down upon by these crowds. Believe me, I find this to be a bit silly because these peole listen to the most simplistic music with the most imbecilic lyrics that can ever be cooked up, and they easily dismiss metallers as social lepers.

A portion of the documentary which I wanted to film (but did not because of time constraints) was an exploration into the lives of a few metalheads, all of whom are successful in some way, and all above 30 years of age. I wanted to show that underground metal is not a kid's music (although the record label people I interviewed referred to consumers as "kids"). I also started having doubts about presenting this aspect because the people I selected were not exactly generalizeable to the whole metal community, and I don't want any sort of sensationalism or stretching of the truth - and I also think that including this segment would make it appear that we have a defensive attitude. I think that the bands I interviewed showed that there is intelligence in metal.

Tara, you will be happy to learn that there is no footage of groupies or women acting slutty in any way. This isn't a documentary about glam, heh heh.

Ok, please post more replies to those questions. Your responses help me out in a big way.

Most definitely the originators of the scene - and perhaps some of their biggest influences if you can manage that. Also, include the most popular death metal bands today as well as some lesser knowns. You might even want to interview unsigned bands that are just starting out for some different perspectives.

A Hollywood editing style would undermine the message and culture of the death metal scene I think, but definitely don't make it look like it was filmed in joe schmoe's garage with a 30 year old camera.

I'd like to see perspectives on death metal from people from all walks of life in the scene - young, old, poor, rich, etc. And what SculptedCold said.

Too much material dwelling on the Satanic aspect of some bands. I think that would reinforce the public's negative opinion on the scene.

You don't want to preach to the choir but you don't want to water it down either... happy medium here.

Pointless? Hell no! The death metal scene is definiely one that needs more (positive)media attention. The more people that get into the scene the better.

Keep it under $20. If it's enjoyable and informative I certainly wouldn't mind paying around $20.

Well, of course you would want the originators. I only go back as far as Kreator, Sodom, Obituary, Pestilence, Exodus, Possessed, Death Angel, and Venom but I know there are a ton more that aren't coming to mind. I would want to see some of the newer bands telling who their influences were. You could go with a new band interview, and then live raw footage of their main influences. I think that would be cool. It's gonna be hard to dig some of these older bands up so you have to go with what's readily available.

Raw wouldn't be bad but I would interview clear and then maybe show old live footage for the raw aspect of it. The sound quality doesn't have to be top notch but you don't want shite either. If people can't understand it, they'll turn it off.

It's kind of self explanitory. I'd like to see a narrated intro showing a lot of the bands or yore and today, then cutting to interviews and stuff, and then going out with a shot of Bill Zebub chugging piss-warm mead from a pewter flask.

Nudity, swearing, drugs, and long hair. Well, maybe you can put them in but definately stay away from the nu-metal stuff. I'd also hate to see a huge time gap in the scene. Cover it from the start and take it through.

Although my grandpa has expressed interest in learning the roots of death metal, I doubt he will purchase it. I would want it to be made for fans of the genre already. No point in dumbing it down so the rest of the herd can get it.

It's the shit I grew up on. Some kids were putting Transformers and Matchbox Cars on their Xmas lists, I was putting Slayer. I didn't get it then, but I got it after I pawned off the sweaters and socks.

The perfect price would be free but since you probably can't do that, I'd shoot for the $17-$23 range, if thou wilst.

Here is my take on it as a old school death metal head...

I would include all the key members of the bands that started the genre. Terry, Chris, or Rick from Death, someone from Obituary(maybe even talk about Xecutioners days), and Phil Fasciana from Malevolent Creation would be good examples. Also, I would interview some of the up and coming band, especially the bands who have young members who are flying the flag of death metal for the new millenium.

Raw is what death metal is all about...so raw is good.

I would discuss lyrics and artwork and how it relates to the music, and the many different sub-genres. Also, as a musician, I would like to see how the different musicians play and what players influence them.

Black Metal!! And the immaturity therein.

Mostly for the lovers of metal in general, maybe not the general public. Not only have they NOT embraced the genre, they don't deserve to watch this documentary...lol!!!

Low price and high quality of subject content=good!!

Morbid Angel, Vader, Malevolent Creation,Decapitated,Cannibal Corpse, Sinister, Arch Enemy, Krisiun,Macabre, Hate Eternal, former members of Death,Obituary, and it'd be funny to see Glen Benton too.

I like raw documentaries. It doesn't have to have hollywood style to impress me.

how the bands started and their influences, why they want to play death metal, for the older bands...what drives them to keep playing and how do they like touring?

I would hate to see any posure bands.

I think it should be targeted to the true underground death metal fans.

I prefer a low price. I wouldn't think it was any less of a documentary if it was priced low. Perfect price for a 2hr doc....hmmm $15.!:headbang:

I would LOVE to see Gorguts put in it. They had a strong influence in death metal didn't they?

Raw would be great.

Well it needs to be mentioned that death metal bands have senses of humor... just because they're singing about gore, it doesn't mean they're taking it seriously...

I'd hate it if you were calling bands that aren't death metal, death metal.

It should be targetted for both.

Hell no! I'd buy it right away!

Well in Canada, somewhere in between $20 and $30(Canadian) would be cool.

A bit of new and old. I guess their will be a bit of History so CARCASS, BENEDICTION, ENTOMBED, MORBID ANGEL, BOLT THROWER, PUNGENT STENCH, NAPALM DEATH, OBITUARY, DISMEMBER, SUFFOCATION, HYPOCRISY, CARNAGE, DEATH, CANNIBAL CORPSE, MALOVELANT CREATION, MASACRE, TERRORIZER, SINISTER for some historical points of reference. And DYING FETUS, CEPHALIC CARNAGE, INFERNAL BLEEDING, GORGUTS, HATE ETERNAL, THE RED CHORD, KALIBAS, GORGASM, SOILENT GREEN, DISGORGE, BRUJERIA, DECAPITATED, THEORY IN PRACTICE, MISERY INDEX, INFERNAL BLEEDING, CRYPTOPSY, NILE, for some new school references.

I think a mix of the both would be kool. Raw and profesional.

Inspiration. Motivation. History. Future. Death Metal as an artform. Other walks of life associated with the genre, i.e. Artists, Producers, Labels. Discussions with musicians about all of these.

Miss-information. Un-accurate accounts. Boring commentry. An un-positive view on a genre that totally bleeds talent.

Well, this would depend on the film maker's goal. It would be kool to target it for the 'mainstream' audience, but doing it without toning, or watering down the subject matter. This is Death Metal. Like it or hate it. It exists.

If all and more of the above was included. Above all, an informative, entertaining view of an extreme form of music that pulls no punches in showing the world what it is all about.

Again, it depends on the people behind it. Nothing more than your average DVD. In a perfect world, everything would be free.

Good luck. I hope this project comes to light.

No preferences, just anyone that would enchance the subject matter

So long as it gets the point across in a way that isn't painful to watch (either too rough or too polished ;)), anything is fine. Content is more important than production (within reason ;)).

How the scene began (reasons for it, which bands were important in it's beginnings), what various bands are trying to say/ their motivation (eg is it to just play loud music, is it an outlet for aggression, is it an artistic statement etc...). The various international scenes (the musical styles in America, England, and Sweden are all quite different, for example, it would be interesting to know if there is any difference in the approaches of bands in various countries, or something along those lines). A comparison of death metal to other forms of music/metal. What various advances have happened in the genre (such as a new band that has come along with an idea that has radically altered the approach alot of bands have since taken)

Over-emphasis on satanic and/or gore themes used by bands (unless ofcourse it was shown to be something that was taken seriously by most of the bands, in which case it's a prefectly relevant thing for a documentary to cover, I'm thinking more along the lines of just including that stuff to shock people).

I think it should be accessable to the general public, while still including things that are relevant to someone who is familiar with the scene. IMO a good documentary should stir interest in some people, so those that are new to the subject that do not understand everything might want to find out a bit more about it.

I think it's a relevant subject to cover. I'd consider buying it if it had some interesting historical stuff, among other things

Death, Morbid Angel, Suffocation, Nile, Decapitated, Cryptopsy, Kataklysm

As long as the documental itself doesn't get affected, it's ok.

The begginings, what made those bands make that type of music and the lyrical aspect of the genre.

False information.

General public, but it should keep a balance between fans and non-fans.

No! It's fun to watch documentaries like that and you always learn something new.

I don't really mind.

BillZebub said:
I am now considering making a black metal documentary as well as a doom documentary. If you are in a black metal or doom band, please Email me - masterzebub@aol.com

Also, let me know what you think would be important to feature in these tow other documentaries.

PLEASE interview Fenriz for the black metal documentary! :tickled:

Actually, Fenriz is in the death metal documentary (as is Cronos)because one of the topics was about why bands change - and Darkthrone's Soulside Journey album was death emtal... I will see about getting him in the black metal documentary, as well as Abath or Satyr. I'm not exactly well-liked in the black metal commmunity, heh heh, and I am sure that I will have to convince black metallers that I am not going to goof on them in some way.

Well, what can I say that hasn't already been said? But I'll see what I can do.:D

Of course, the originators. Members of Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Hypocrisy, Entombed, et al. Along with bands like Cryptopsy, Nile, and some up-and-comeing bands like Hate Eternal, Vehemence, etc. It might also be cool if you could talk to like Tomas Lindberg or the Bjorlers.

Well, I like the music, which is very raw, so why not have the Documentary be raw as well?

Musical inspiration, Lyrical Inspirtion, home life, life on the road, in the studio, etc. And talk to some of the older guys(Morbid Angel, Deicide, etc.) about how they feel being looked up to by so many bands and whatnot.

Sensationalism. Seriousness to the point of boredom. You gotta have some humor

Find somewehere in between

NOT AT ALL. As long as I knew it would be informative and entertaining, I'd sure as hell watch it

I"d probably buy it no matter what. I"d prefer the 10-15 buck range, but whatever, it'll be cool