Death metal Documentary

hmmm... I would have thought the all the dvd's would have arrived within 3 days of shipping them. (or is it that you have not yet had time to watch the documentary)

Incidentally, the documentary is being re-edited for a European release (Earache Records will be manufacturing it) so your criticism will help in that process.

I managed to get some stores in New York City to carry it - like Kim's Video on Saint Mark's, and Bleecker Bob's. I wonder if it will do well over there.

Still no word from the reviewers, aye?

I think the guys from Immolation are on tour - damn!!! I wanted to include them in the re-edit.

www.thegrimoire.com

1. Which bands would you personall love to see in a death metal documetentary?

Some from every time and scene.....Possessed, ex-Death members, Obituary, Entombed, Cryptopsy, Hollenthon, Kataklysm, Atrocity, Mortician, Opeth, Nile, Origin, Soilwork, Dark Tranquility, Extol, Crimson Thorn..etc

2. According to your personal tastes, is it OK for a death metal documentary to be filmed raw, or does it have to have Hollywood quality picture and sound?

Whichever fits the atmosphere really. Doesn't matter much to me.

3. What kind of topics would you expect to be explored in a death metal documentary?

Inspiration for the style itself of the music would be great, told through interviews and such. The rift between DM and metal fans in general and other mainstream music fans/people......for example, questions to average music listener: "What's your opinion of Death Metal?" "Do you like any bands?" "Why or why not?" and show the contrast, a sampling of the public view of the scene...

4. What would you hate to see in a death metal documentary?

"Tr00" Elitist DM people that are so underground they've grown feelers and extra mouths. And, I'd like to see something that includes *exploring* the cliches of DM, but not being OF the cliches of DM, and certainly not embracing them.

5. Do you think that a death metal documentary should be targeted for people who already know about death metal, or do you think that it should be made for the general public?

Make it presentable to anybody, but as detailed as possible I say. Explanatory since a lot of mainstream people won't know what's going on a lot and it will add a sense of intellect and class to the source, but without sacrificing any detail. Show it for what it is and present it simply.

6. Is it pointless to make a death metal documentary? What would make you go out and buy it?

a. Not pointless at all. b. Individuality, level of user friendlyness - style and intellect.

7. If the price of the documentary is low, would that make you conider it a low-quality DVD that does not deserve your attention, or do prefer a low price? What is the perfect price for a 2-hour documentary?

I would say a medium price would be fitting...

Orion Crystal Ice : I didn’t think anyone knew about Exton from Sweden, they have great Melodic Death Metal but very XIAN lyrics. Its funny people wont give them a chance just because of their lyrics. You are also right about the “TrOo” metal heads, that defiantly needs to stop, it has gotten real old and annoying. That is something that would just ruin a Death Metal Documentary if it was said in the dialog.

It would also be nice to see the Rare Label Representatives being interviewed. Such as No Fashion Records, Regain Records, Pagan Records, Diehard Records, Serious Entertainment, Listenable Records, and some of the mainstream ones like Metal Blade, Century Media, Earache, Koch, and Nuclear Blast. What do they have to hide, but their face! They are just as important as the bands I think!.

BillZebub: Hey I look forward to seeing those home made videos I was looking at the NJ fest. I am interest in your video creations and what is to come. I too am in the field of video creation just yet to be released stuff. Ill come around next time and be sure to pick it up when I have some extra cash at hand for sure.

Actually, I interviewed Earache Records for the documentary. The reason for that is because they have a right to speak about death emtal because they brought us Morbid Angel and Carcass (and in the early days, Napalm Death) plus a lot of other bands that we have all come to know. I didn't interview some other labels because they are either bandwagon hoppers, or they had unscrupulous beginnings (like a certain East Coast label that got into business by screwing over a German record label).

After my interview with Earache I realized that I have all the information I need. So it seems that I chose the right people. I like the fact that the people I talked to were lovers of music and got a job because of that love, instead of businessmen who worked in the metal environment whose love of money dominated all motivation.

VEHEMENCE said:
1. Which bands would you personally love to see in a death metal documetentary?

Vehemence...Amon Amarth.

Now whyever would you wanna see Vehemence in the documentary?:p

And Amon Amarth is in it. At least Johan Hegg is.

Anyway, Bill, I got mine on Friday and didn't get around to watching it until Monda, and I haven't had time to post a review here yet. I'll probably be able to do a formal one tomorrow, either in the GMD or the Reviews section, but I can give kind of an informal one right here.

Basically, I thought it was pretty good. I coulda used a little less Peter Steele and more Cronos, King Diamond, and/or Johan Hegg. But aside from that, I thought it was highly informative and entertaining to watch. My only two gripes about it are as follows: A)The Aforementioned too Much Peter Steele, and B)Not enough everyone else. there are guys I woulda loved to see in this that either were only in it for a few minutes or not at all. But I realize you put that together with minimal resources, and I'm not overly dissappointed. If I didn't get one for free, I probably still would have bought it.

(By the way, I really suck at reviewing stuff:p)

Anyway, any chance of you sending us some free packaging for the DVDs when you get them in? Just wondering.

Actually, that is exactly the kind of review I wanted to see. It was 100% honest. You may agree that a lot of official "reviewers" in mags forget the importance of honesty - they are more concerned with trying to appear witty or informed. I did not put together the documentary for people like that. It is rare to see someone review something from his/her own perspective - I hate when reviewers try to represent an audience. You spoke only on your own behalf, and I value people who are bold enough to do that.

Well thanks for the kind words. Seriously, those minor things aside, I thought you did a really good job with the somewhat limited resources you had(I'm guessing), and I really enjoyed watching it. Like I said, I probably would have bought it if I didn't get one for free, and if you add/chamge enough of it for the European releas to justify getting it, I might import it, If I can

Well I finnally got to view the documentary dvd last nite and I must say I was impressed. I found Peter Steele to be quite funny, his dark sense of humor kills me. Did you film him at his house? I also found Cronos quite funny too, especially when he was talking about Immortal. It was also amusing as the video went on to see the Earache dudes get drunker and drunker. It was interesting to hear the band members speak on issues such as death and black metal, religion, record companies and such. Fenriz and King Diamond were interesting as well. I would've liked to see a little more live footage of all the bands, I wish there was some live Carnivore footage in it, but oh well. Weird to see the footage of Holy Moses. I'll have to check them out. Well done, Bill Zebub!
headbob.gif

Thanks Stoner S.

Yeah, that was done in Peter Steele's apartment. I am going to ask him to do a cameo in my comedy called "Dirtbags". The re-edited documentary will have more band interviews and more footage, as well as more music videos - perhaps early videos of Morbid Angel when David Vincent was in the band - I have a rough copy of immortal Rites. That band HOLY MOSES has a great album called FINISHED WITH THE DOGS - I managed to get a CD version from a German guy (in Germany).

This particular edit is limited to 1000 copies. You can get it from me (dvd only -NTSC region free) for ten bucks, or you can get it from Earache or Blackened Moon Productions. Newbury Comics should have it soon - so ask for a copy there.

The re-edit will be released by Earache in Europe (in the PAL format) and quite possible I will release it in America (unless Earache wants to handle that as well).

I am going to try to interview Immortal this Friday for the Black Metal documentary that is in the works.

Reactions: Stoner Sioux
Or Kristin from Ancient which now lives in Seattle, but is still in the band. I remember seeing a Immortal documentry on Norwegian TV, on a VHS tape I got from a bootleg trader. It was pretty interesting what they had to say. The segment was in the early 90's. "I want to see this music burned, and to have it destoryed off the face of the earth." said by a blackmetal kids mother. Or somthing like that rather. Anyone else see it?

Reactions: Stoner Sioux
Coincidentally I ran into the Virginian guitar player of Ancient, who now resides in NJ, and he is into being in the black metal documentary - perhaps they will allow me to use parts of that music video that had Kim Goss in it. I tried to get Satyricon involved, but the publicist from Moonfog didn't want to support the project (even though it's silly for a mere publicist to represent the label) - I don't know if the negative attitude was because of me or because I mentioned that Moribund and Full Moon are supporting this. Displeased Records, Holy Records, Morbid, and Root of All Evil are also helping out. I haven't approached certain labels because of their intense dislike for my magazine and for me... so I am going to try to get the IMMORTAL interview through the non-industry route. I am not a fan of most black metal because I personally find a lot of it boring and weak (if not fake), but this documentary is not about my opinions - however, I noticed that this particular subdivision of metal has a lot of "clique-y" attitudes, and what one group of fans hails as a true band is mocked by another group, and so on. A black metal documentary therefore will probably not be as welcomed as the death metal documentary - or am I wrong?

Yeah it kinda sidewinded into having black metal bands on there rather than death. hehe. That would be lame to find out that a label will not let there artist work with some one trying to documentary, because another disliked label by the label. Satyricon pulled off a great album last year, it would be cool to see what they have to say since they havent had much TV promotion.