Death Metal Pedal

I think that's the one I use at guitar lessons, right now we just have a PA system in the lesson room rigged up with two of those. I can't get a good lead tone out of it at all. Next week, maybe I'll try some Slayer or something on it, see if it sounds any better...

Just to clarify, I haven't been playing "death metally" stuff on it...but playing guitar oriented stuff I couldn't get a lead tone I liked from it, I'll mess around with it some more next week and try some heavy stuff.

I use a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone. It was fairly cheap and it's pretty good too.

Decent? I still have to hear one good sounding distortion coming exclusively from a pedal. Overdrive pedals have been used to push tube amps into distortion at low volumes for decades... And it sounds so much better, at least to my ears (there's actually something to push inside the amp). But he didn't even mention home practicing.

Anyway Spydaman, if you're expecting great distorted tones exclusively from a pedal, prepare to be disapointed. You'll grow out of that buzzy tone in a couple of weeks. I borrowed a MetalZone from a friend of mine a few years back when I started playing. For the first two weeks or so, I thought it was the shit. Then I started to understand why almost every serious guitarist was playing through tube amps. No thin, buzzy, chainsaw type distortion. And most tube amps love OD pedals, so it's not that hard to get a decent distorted tone for practicing.

I have the DoD Death metal pedal. I cant seem to get a good sound for solos, but for rythem stuff its got a good crunchy growl to it. HM-2 (MT-2) are better in my opinion, you can get far more varied sounds from it,

I have used the MT-2 Metal Zone a few times, and I used to own the Digitech XMM Metal Master, and from what I have heard out of both of those pedals, the Metal Master is really your best bet for good metal tone. It may be more expensive, but it is well worth it.

I've used the original version of the Death metal pedal, from DOD. Digitech (same company as DOD) have the Digitech Death metal, but I don't recommend it. Reason being, the DOD model is analog, so it last's like 10 times longer on a battery, sound better (IMO). The Digitech models have a little digital processesor in there that really sucks up battery life. Either way, the Death metal pedal is the thickest dist. pedal you can get. It's not the pedal you'd want if you're looking for single note clarity though, or if you're soloing alot. Hope that helps!