Death Metal Recs

You need to lighten up on the gore man. That really cuts down on the amount of good DM out there. Who gives a fuck if there's gore in there, it's just a fucking song.

There's gore and then there's gore. There's battles and fights and death and shit like that, which is fine with me, and then there's raping corpses. I'm fine with a decent amount of violence, as long as there's some point. Simple homicidal rants just don't interest me. My tolerance for stupid gore is a little over "Reign In Blood" level. I'll listen to gory shit, but everything else had better be incredible.

I'd like to amend/clarify my request: Stuff need only meet 2 of the criteria, i.e. gory music but good grunts and no blast-beat abuse, or absurd blast beats but good grunts and it doesn't ruin my appetite.

To Darkbliss, that stuff is pretty good...vocals a little black metal-y but it's all good. Their mySpace only has stuff from the Abnormal Deformity demo, though...:cry:

Hey WeAreInFlames, let us know which recommendations turned out to be what you're looking for. It'd be interesting to see who got it right.

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence; Elements
Cynic - Focus (Somewhat Deathy)
Carcass - Heartwork (you will probably like this more than about anything else mentioned if you don't already have it)
Death - Human; Individual Thought Patterns
Deicide - The Stench of Redemption (You will like this too)

I tried not to go too low & incomprehensible on the vocals, but if you're listening to Death Metal you're going to get Death Grunts or it isn't Death Metal. You sound like you already have some decent stuff, but this is a beginners crash course. Soon I need to broaden my Death Metal knowledge too.

you hate good death metal like Incantation (which according to you, violates A and B) and you like In Flames.

stop being such a fucking girl.

My main problem with Incantation (and this goes for a lot of bands) is that it's all bottom end...guitars drop C or lower, etc...wouldn't say it particularly violates B...and I can tolerate it. Don't particularly like it...

Problem with tuning that low is that you can't really palm mute, because the strings have to little tension; they ring a little after you strike. So...when you try to play fast tuned down that low and palm muting, you get...sludge. But their music isn't too intense or heavy for me, and I see why you like it...just don't really dig it, that's all.

Hey WeAreInFlames, let us know which recommendations turned out to be what you're looking for. It'd be interesting to see who got it right.

So far, ShredHeadJHJ is winning...all good recs...
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence; Elements
Cynic - Focus (Somewhat Deathy)
Carcass - Heartwork (you will probably like this more than about anything else mentioned if you don't already have it)
Death - Human; Individual Thought Patterns
Deicide - The Stench of Redemption (You will like this too)

I tried not to go too low & incomprehensible on the vocals, but if you're listening to Death Metal you're going to get Death Grunts or it isn't Death Metal. You sound like you already have some decent stuff, but this is a beginners crash course. Soon I need to broaden my Death Metal knowledge too.

Heartwork? Yeah, I already knew that one, it rocks...Been meaning to get some Atheist and Death, good stuff. Cynic is new to me, but sounds pretty good, although not life changing. I'll give Deicide another shot; all I've heard was something off In Torment In Hell, and that was before I was into metal...

Someone mentioned Vader.:kickass:

Also...I've discovered Decapitated. And it rocks.

Since so many people on other threads have been mentioning Behemoth, I checked them out. :kickass:

Score 3 for Poland!

Ok, so I'm looking to get into death metal. I'm having trouble getting past the vocals, as well as shitty metallic drum sounds and constant beat blasts. Please help me with this.
My current level of tolerance:

Totally Digging:

Kataklysm - In The Arms Of Devastation
All Amon Amarth, even when he goes crazy deep like on Asator
Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh (However, Resurrection Through Carnage is too deep)
Behemoth - Nothing in particular, don't have any of their stuff, but like Slaves Shall Serve and Conquer All...vocals are borderline for me, as is music

Having Trouble With:

Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes (Obviously, the music is fine, but the vocals are a little too deep, possibly because the music isn't heavy enough to match them)
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines (Music a little too intense, main problem is the vocals)
Vital Remains - Dechristianize (Vocals a little too deep, also the drum sound is just pathetic)

Basically, what I'm looking for from you are DM bands that:

A) Do not sing too deep

B) Have a decent drum sound and don't use constant blast beats

C)(Sort of optional) Don't sing about nothing but gore and violence - some is okay, sacreligiousness is totally fine, just not too into gore metal

Please don't recommend Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, Six Feet Under, or whatever - violates A, C, and sometimes even B.

Good really raw death metal, like really old school death or something might be the answer...don't particularly like Celtic Frost though...
Thanks in advance and all...

celtic frost? how did they get into that post?

massacra

now that is advice.

Obituary
Bolt Thrower
Cancer (Death/Thrash)

Obituary and Cancer have already been mentioned, I like them both. Will check out Cancer

celtic frost? how did they get into that post?

massacra

now that is advice.

CF? Everyone always mentions them in every discussion of death, thrash, or black metal...I don't think they're death, I just don't want anyone to recommend them...

The bottom end is the best part about Incantation

Bottom end is the ONLY part...no high end at all. Has its virtues. I respect them, I just don't like them. Can we stop talking about them now?

I agree with you on one thing - I don't like the Drop-Hb tuned guitars that produce a farting sound as caused by the strings vibrating on the pick-ups. I've never heard Incantation though.

I'm sure you'veheard a bit of Arch Enemy. I like Angela's vocals quite a bit & she's a little screetchy. I liked Doomsday Machine, but if you look past their vocals the first two are albums are better. I fucking hated when Johan Liiva sang with them. Reminds me of fucking Lemmy. You like Amon Amarth & I was impressed with their new album even though it was funny.

Do you like Morbid Angel? Get "Gateways of Annihilation" & "Formulas Fatal to the Flesh". I like most of their older stuff too except for maybe "Alters of Madness" (which sounds like a Slayer rip) & some of "Domination". I also would strongly suggest Suffocation, but I dunno...

Eventually you should probably try to lighten up on the whole low vocal thing. Just a suggestion. You also droped some bands I never even heard much of so good luck.

I agree with you on one thing - I don't like the Drop-Hb tuned guitars that produce a farting sound as caused by the strings vibrating on the pick-ups. I've never heard Incantation though.

I'm sure you'veheard a bit of Arch Enemy. I like Angela's vocals quite a bit & she's a little screetchy. I liked Doomsday Machine, but if you look past their vocals the first two are albums are better. I fucking hated when Johan Liiva sang with them. Reminds me of fucking Lemmy. You like Amon Amarth & I was impressed with their new album even though it was funny.

Do you like Morbid Angel? Get "Gateways of Annihilation" & "Formulas Fatal to the Flesh". I like most of their older stuff too except for maybe "Alters of Madness" (which sounds like a Slayer rip) & some of "Domination". I also would strongly suggest Suffocation, but I dunno...

Eventually you should probably try to lighten up on the whole low vocal thing. Just a suggestion. You also droped some bands I never even heard much of so good luck.

Arch Enemy are pretty cool...I like Angela a lot more than Liiva. The vocals on Doomsday Machine seemed fine to me. Lemmy is awesome. Don't mess with Lemmy./ If you like AA's new album, get the first one, Once Sent From The Golden Hall:kickass: I heard some Morbid Angel and it sounds good. Would have gotten something by now only I have no idea which album to get first, and there's a massive debate to that effect on Amazon... I've heard a number of Suffocation songs (specifically a low number, somewhere between 3 and 5) and I was sorta impressed. The image is still a little creepy, but the vocals are roughly within my tolerance. With the low vocal thing, I rather suspect I'll just become accustomed to it. I hated Isahn's vocals for Emperor at first but then listened to some melodic death metal (where the vocals are all black metally) and now I dig them. Anyhow...Suffocation are all right, they just don't grab me too much musically, but maybe I've just been hearing the wrong stuff. I'll give them a shot.

that would be pretty br0000tal.
My rhythm guitarist actually suggested that; instead of vocals, we'll record a disposal and play around with the audio in ProTools to make it sound like it's saying stuff. Live, we would just have a sink up there and we would take turns throwing shit in. Chuck Barnes would have nothing on us.