Epic Metal Recs

waif

Sep 7, 2007
Montreal
I'm looking for good epic metal. Any genre is fine, I prefer more extreme metal but am also a fan of power metal. If you don't understand what I mean by epic, go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDpc-831GPs
Epicness is both musical and lyrical; lyrics probably ought to tell a story, although some don't.

Anything at all is fine except doom/sludge/stoner metal, which isn't epic anyhow. Please no really weird, creepy musical themes, like fascism, infanticide, cannibalism, or voting Republican; just not interested. Also, please don't recommend Iced Earth or Manowar.

Good examples of epicness:
In The Nightside Eclipse by Emperor
Hammerheart by Bathory
The Gallery by Dark Tranquility
The Mind's I by Dark Tranquility
Lunar Strain by In Flames
Subterranean by In Flames
The Jester Race by In Flames
The Metal Opera Pt. 1 by Avantasia
Spirit by Eluveitie
Heathenreel by Elvenking
The Winter Wake by Elvenking
Tales From The Thousand Lakes by Amorphis
Wintersun by Wintersun
Once Sent From The Golden Hall by Amon Amarth
Versus The World by Amon Amarth
Rapture by Dragonlord
Mabool by Orphaned Land
Hall Of The Mountain King by Savatage

Never really heard any straight up death metal or thrash metal that was really epic, but if it's out there, I'd love to hear it. Please provide a link to a Myspace, band site, Youtube video, or something where I can hear the band. And if you don't have any of the albums above, get them!

I'm sure there are others out there looking for good epic music, so this can be a sorta epic metal thread, since I don't see any others.

those are so not epic (I've loved those songs for years, but yea, they're not epic, even In Flames' "Biosphere" or Dark Tranquillity's "Silence And The Firmament Withdrew" is more epic)

edit: thought you meant the songs not albums when I first read it.

epic:

Cryptic Wintermoon - The Shadowkeep
Falkenbach - When Gjallarhorn Will Sound
Thyrfing - The Voyager
Runic - Predecessor
Månegarm - Kolöga Trolltand
Summoning - The Rotting Horse on the Deadly Ground
Bal-Sagoth - The Dreamer In the Catacombs of Ur

Actually Graveland can be quite epic. And he mentioned Bathory so I don't see how viking era Graveland could be excluded.

Battlelore
Doomsword

...And doom can be epic *epic doom metal*

Err..yeah, but I don't care because it's doom metal.

those are so not epic (I've loved those songs for years, but yea, they're not epic, even In Flames' "Biosphere" or Dark Tranquillity's "Silence And The Firmament Withdrew" is more epic)

edit: thought you meant the songs not albums when I first read it.

epic:

Cryptic Wintermoon - The Shadowkeep
Falkenbach - When Gjallarhorn Will Sound
Thyrfing - The Voyager
Runic - Predecessor
Månegarm - Kolöga Trolltand
Summoning - The Rotting Horse on the Deadly Ground
Bal-Sagoth - The Dreamer In the Catacombs of Ur
Are these albums or songs? I was posting albums. Subterranean is totally fucking epic, particularly Stand Ablaze. I've been meaning to get some Bal-Sagoth, but last time around I went for some Eluveitie instead.

Graveland sound like DarkThrone on prozac, and I wouldn't have even thought DT were considered 'epic' (or most any BM for that matter)
Don't like Darkthrone at all. Not one bit. But Graveland is cool...I'm kinda picky with black metal, but I've been meaning to get some of their Viking era stuff

Rhapsody(of Fire)
Fairyland
Summoning
The Chasm
Symphony X
Stratovarius
Adagio
Drudkh
Epica
Intestine Baalism
Monolithe
Negura Bunget
Virgin Black

Yeah, forgot to mention Rhapsody, I have Legendary Tales, Symphony of enchanted lands 1 & 2 (2 of the best power metal albums ever, imo) and Triumph or Agony, which sucks. But...love Rhapsody. Luca Turili is a god of sweep picking and Fabio has a great voice...love the drummer too. Symphony X is freakin' awesome, too.

Actually Graveland can be quite epic. And he mentioned Bathory so I don't see how viking era Graveland could be excluded.

Yeah, I there's nothing i love more than Epic Viking Metal...

Epicus
Doomicus
Metallicus

Candlemass...my one exception to the doom metal rule...been meaning to get that.

Yeah, Bal Sagoth are hilariously epic...been looking for an affordable copy of Starfire Burning Upon The Ice Veiled Throne Of Ultima Thule...lol.

They have been mentioned but it does not get much bigger than Virgin Black at times, especially Requiem, Mezzo Forte.

Ne Obliviscaris are also an incredibly epic black metal band that pop to mind.

I think we've established Bal-Sagoth as a good recomendation, so if people would stop recommending them...although, which album should I get first? I was thinking about starting with Starfire Burning, seeing as A) it has the best track titles and B) I like to start at the beginning of a band's career (I know that would be a Black Moon over Lemuria or whatever, but I've heard it's not as good as the rest of their stuff)