Epic metal

Nico

Onward!
Oct 21, 2003
War for Territory
Right... Moonlapse brought this up at some stage I think. So... how many of you love the 'epicness' of Opeth's music? Although Opeth cop a lot of shit for meandering music and the such, I don't think that effects the epic feel of many of the songs.

I know a few of you are Weakling fans, whom are brilliantly epic. There's plenty of other bands like Drudkh and Summoning that conjure up that grand atmosphere in a superiour manner.

So... anyone else into epic styles of metal?

Definately. Epic doesn't necessarily equate to long though, as I think we tried to establish in the other thread, haha. Alot of minimalist black-metal like Burzum I think is very epic in a sense.

I love epic music. The ability to concieve a piece of music as a whole and shape it with the whole in mind is something that not many musicians are able to do. When it's executed well, you end up with really majestic music. When it isn't executed quite so cohesively you get something along the lines of Orchid and Morningrise. Whilst these albums are great, I have no doubt that with a more focused vision they could have been even better.

Although I suppose you can't really call any of Opeth's stuff epic. There isn't much 'epic' to the sound... well perhaps there is a degree in the concept albums, as they are floating around ideas and constantly dwelling on themes, building up, closing down etcetera. The first two albums are simply an assortment of riffs made to form 10 minute tracks. There is no real degree of thought put into the composition as a whole, and how majestic it can be. Just a load of kickass individual bits.

I'm gonna have to say that Borknagar is really epic, along with many albums by Vintersorg. "Epic" was named correctly for Borknagar's latest album, it's just amazing to my ears. Also, another band that I think has a very epic sound to them and manages to pull their style of music off without any chessyness is Pain of Salvation. The Perfect ELement was just beautiful.

"epic" music is cool--i've always been a fan of stuff like zeppelin's "battle of evermore"....but i'm a fan of albums, i listen the whole way through, and if a band is able to not only write great tunes but maintain a sense of cohesion throughout...it doesn't get any better. some of my favorite albums (besides opeth):
the beatles - revolver
tool - lateralus
agalloch - the mantle
the mars volta - de-loused in the comatorium
meshuggah - nothing

albums like these aren't just collections of songs ("into the pandemonium", anyone?), but they are a distinct identity in and of themselves. nothing wrong with a little eclecticism (eclecticness?) but the songs have to sound like they belong together, in that order.

Epicness = Coolness

Best epic metal tunes
Emperor - Thus Spake the Nightspirit, In The Wordless Chamber, An Elergy of Icaros, With Strength I Burn, I am the Black Wizards (best BM tune ever)

Enslaved - Conveys to Nothingness, The Voices, The Crossing, As Fire Swept Clean the Earth, Queen of Night

Opeth - April Ethereal, Serenity Painted Death, In Mist she was Standing, Advent, Lepar Affinity, Wreath, Forest of October

are songs "epic" or are entire albums "epic"?
also, is a concept album automatically "epic"?
i need more clarification on this.....

I like some "Epic" Metal. At least it comes across as Epic to me.
Some of my favorites are:

Iron Maiden, some of Chuck Schuldiner's playing, Emperor, Candlemass, Diabolical Masquerade, some of Swano's works, some King Diamond (Andy LaRoque's playing), Opeth (the early stuff has an epic feel to it), and many many other bands. For some reason these bands come to mind at the moment. Some bands of many styles, thrash,doom,death metal,doomdeath,blackmetal (I hate categorizing). I'm really not into "Epic" Powermetal.

Bathory for sure :) ... examples: Shores in Flames, Valhalla, One Rode to Asa Bay (shut up, I listen to the other albums too. but I like Hammerheart best)
Edge of Sanity - Crimson
Weakling - Kind of, I guess... my favourite is "No One May Be Called As A Man While He'll Die"
Opeth... yea, some parts sound really epic. I think they could be a LOT more epic if they didn't fuck it up by meandering so much :) ESP. Black Rose Immortal.
Woods of Ypres - A Meeting Place and Time + lots from the new CD.
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin At Dusk!

To anyone who's gonna try to argue anyone else's choices: Epic means something a bit different to everyone. So don't bother.

Nightwish - Beauty of the Beast
Forest Stream - Black Swans
My Dying Bride - Christliar
and.... Opeth - Forest of October (Best Epic Song Ever!)
Agalloch - In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion

I have a tendecy to think only longer songs sound more "epic", especially if they conclude well.

Now I'll run away before someone kills me for mentioning Nightwish......

cthulufhtagn said:
some of my favorite albums (besides opeth):
the beatles - revolver
tool - lateralus
agalloch - the mantle
the mars volta - de-loused in the comatorium
meshuggah - nothing
all great albums except for the beatles...and mars volta which is so-so...

Damn... forgot I even made this thread.

A few of the namedrops have been great. Enslaved, Bathory, Agalloch... I recommend everyone listen to Summoning - "Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame". Fantastic stuff.

Dorian, I wasnt specific to either songs or albums. Anything epic realy... though whole albums obviously are a lot more epic than individual songs.

Katatonic said:
Nazxul - Vow of Vengeance

:worship:

Gunhaver has also proven his stupidity once again.

oh, and yes...i must agree whole heartedly...enslaved is fantastic.

One of my favorite metal bands. alongside arcturus and opeth...they blend progressive music and metal perfectly. agrressive, melodic, diverse, epic, etc etc i could go on forever with how important that band is to metal and pushing the envelope of creativity in extreme music.

Decadent said:
Dorian, I wasnt specific to either songs or albums. Anything epic realy... though whole albums obviously are a lot more epic than individual songs.
thanks, mate. i too was thinking more about albums than songs. but i was really just asking for opinions because i never really thought about "epic" songs or albums before. good thread....