Epic/Viking/Folk Metal Suggestions?

Einherjer owns! They are from my hometown! *so proud* ;)
The new album will be out this year hopefully.

I read some stuff about Enslaved in Terrorizer and I'm interested because they were compared to Opeth. But what do they actually sound like? I hate black metal because you can hardly hear the guitars and it's stupidly fast (the stuff I've heard is anyway). Are Enslaved like this or are they more traditional metal with fat guitars? Whats the singing like? I like death grunts but dont like Cradle of Filth style screeching. Oh, dont like too much keyboards either.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Månegarm
headbob.gif

one question. i'm sitting here listening to falkenbach-...when gjallarhorn will sound and want to know if the rest of the album is like this song. if it is i'm sold.

bleedingskeptic said:
one question. i'm sitting here listening to falkenbach-...when gjallarhorn will sound and want to know if the rest of the album is like this song. if it is i'm sold.
Buy that album! That song is possibly the highest moment on that cd, but the rest really lives up to it. Incredible cd.

Blind Guardian - A Night At The Opera is very epic, but certainly not what I would call cheesy. Rhapsody is epic and cheesy. Listen to anything by them (I like Rhapsody, btw).

Anything by Blind Guardian is worth buying at two times its normal price.

Also, it struck me that no one has mentioned Elvenking. They're damn fine folk-fantasy metal. Regrettably, singer Damnagoras had to leave the band some time ago for health reasons... T_T But the band is still around, so support them and check out their album! Nice guys, too; just go to their forum, whereat they post often.

Epic:
Dragonforce (awesome high vocals, yngwie influenced music, so gay that it rules)
Bal-Sagoth (I come to reap the evolution harvest!!!)

Viking/Folk:
Thyrfing, Vintersorg and Moonsorrow have already been mentioned, also check out:
* Empyrium (slow, atmospheric, folky)
* Ensiferum (dance around with a pint of mead)
* Mithotyn (dark viking, some good songs, others average)
* Suidakra (sort of melodic death with viking/folk elements)

Not Viking:
Borknagar (but they're awesome)