Folk/Viking Metal

90s Norway had a bunch of great bands with folk or viking influences. Like Satyricon, Hades, Helheim, Enslaved, Ulver, etc.

But the best are ofcourse Bathory, Graveland and Scald.

always thought moonsorrow were pretty good viking/folk metal
I never hear much about them

Last edited by a moderator:
The newest one was actually kinda good.
It was not, but the fact is that its still a million times better than Victory Songs, so compared to VS the new one seemed good. Obviously the s/t is the best, but I still enjoy Iron sometimes, has some nice songs.

Moonsorrow rule, Voimasta ja Kunniasta is a great album.

90s Norway had a bunch of great bands with folk or viking influences. Like Satyricon, Hades, Helheim, Enslaved, Ulver, etc.

And Aeternus.

But the best are ofcourse Bathory, Graveland and Scald.

I would rank Scald so much higher if they'd released another record. As it now stands, I enjoy Ereb Altor more than Scald.

The newest one was actually kinda good.

There's definitely a Turisas influence on the new Ensiferum, especially regarding the symphonics.

I would rank Scald so much higher if they'd released another record. As it now stands, I enjoy Ereb Altor more than Scald.
I have only heard the first Ereb Altor but Will of the Gods is Great Power is so much better than it, even though I love that album too.

I've enjoyed every Moonsorrow album I've listened to. The only one I don't know is Voimasta...and I knwo I probably should check it as well.
Sure you should. Kivenkantaja is great, but Voimasta Ja Kunniasta is beyond epicness.

early Moonsorrow is great, the new stuff... not so much.
V: Hävitetty is not bad, but you need to be in the mood to listen to +20min songs.