Your Favorite Viking/Folk Metal Band

We've been over this. Every time a new poster comes in he or she almost always mentions Amon Amarth. Then we have to go through the discussion again to explain why they're not viking metal, they just sing about viking themes.

Anyone want to rec some slow or medium tempo shit with some epic chanting similar to below?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyr
Turisas
Ensiferum
Hammer Horde
Einherjer
Naglfar
Borknagar
Arckanum

Amon Amarth, even though they aren't considered by some to be Viking Metal.

And I just found this other awesome group called Galar!

First of all, sorry if it's frowned upon on here to dig up old threads.
I'm new here and pagan metal is my favorite kind of metal, I didn't find anywhere else to talk about that but I guess it would fit in here.
So here are some of my favorite Folk/Pagan Metal bands, starting with the more well-known ones:

Týr

The band that got me into viking-themed metal back when I first heard their song "Hail to the Hammer". I enjoy all of their albums and, what may be an unpopular opinion, I enjoy their recent work more then the older stuff. Don't get me wrong though, the older stuff is excellent too!

Ensiferum

Probably the most well-known band on my list, seen it mentioned here in this thread a lot. There's something about their music that's just seems "uplifting" to me if it makes any sense. Like it carries you away. Sounds weird but I don't know how to describe it and can't quite put my finger on it since I'm not a musician myself and wouldn't know the right words for it anyway. I went to their concert in April, they were on tour with Heidra and Fleshgod Apocalypse. It was my first ever metal concert and it blew me away and made me want more!

Korpiklaani

Korpiklaani's music is awesome because it makes me want to drink and party. I hope I get to see them this November along with Moonsorrow and Skalmöld.

Moonsorrow

Only recently started listening to them... I have their albums Suden Uni and the new one Jumalten Aika. I love how mystic the band sounds sometimes but I'll have to get more into it to really be able to say anything about them.

Mithotyn

Probably my second to favorite, and this is my favorite album and song I've linked to here. (Sadly only found it on yt with the cover of the re-release)
Sadly after only three albums the band split up in '99 and two of the members went on to form the band Falconer. I really wish they'd release another album, let alone sell some t-shirts and merch...

Skálmöld

An icelandic band I recently found out about. They have a very unique style in my opinion, the way their songs are structured and how much of the lyrics are spoken like a poem. Gonna see them live too hopefully.

Heidra

My favorite band at the moment. Saw them open for Ensiferum in April and it was awesome. The tour is also how I found out about the band.. and I'm so glad I did. Definetly my discovery of the year. I can't stop listening to their album "Awaiting Dawn", hence the nickname. I also sound like too much of a fanboy so I hope you simply check them out for yourselves.

The list could go on but I guess that's enough for now.

Reactions: AllShallFall
Cool. I agree about Tyr. Their last album was fucking awesome and I've been eagerly awaiting a follow up, but I haven't heard any news.

Yeah Valkirja was awesome but my favorite Týr album is By The Light Of The Northern Star! They regularly post updates on the progress on their new album on their facebook page. From what it seems it's still gonna take some time until we get to hear an actual track tough.
However, their guitarist Terji released an instrumental solo album in February. It's not folk metal but it's pretty good!