Folk/Viking metal recommendations

I went ahead and ordered Ensiferum's debut, which should be here tomorrow. I've been wanting it for a while, so I just went for it this time. Thanks for all recommendations, because I'm far from done in my Viking/folk metal search, and I'll look into all bands suggested.

On the side, I've been addicted to Bathory's Hammerheart these last couple of days. I never realized what an awesome song 'One Rode to Asa Bay' is! God damn, what a song. The part where he goes, 'And his old eyes could almost see/the dragon ships set sail/And his old ears could almost hear/men of great numbers call out Oden's hail' and then you hear the men shout, 'Oden!' -- I get chills right there.

Luz said:
I see, you're from Australia. Hah, I'm from Argentina...
Pretty far away, at least our countries start with an 'A'. :lol:

:wave: Yah, the land of oz and few international touring bands!
At least we got Opeth last year. Did have In Flames this year but they didn't come near me. oh and Nightwish came but I missed them.

Must be a good country if it starts with A:headbang:

Yeah, I've got an Empyrium album. I don't remember what's it's called (I don't even know where it is right now), but I think it's one of their earlier ones. Ah, I remember now: A Wintersunset.... It's pretty good, but I obviously don't listen to it much since I don't know what I did with it.

Anyway, I got my Ensiferum CD today. I just sat down to listen to it about 15 minutes ago, and so far I think this is one ass-kicking album. Very upbeat, very driving. I can hear the Blind Guardian influence that I've heard spoken of, although I don't know if the band actually is influenced by BG. So yeah, I'm enjoying the hell out of Ensiferum right now. \m/

Eleria said:
I can't believe I forgot about Einherjer

Einherjer's 'Odin owns ye all' is a must have nordic/viking metal album, this is a masterpiece - it's not extreme metal, it's really not traditional metal...it's just great ale drinkin pagan mastery. It's too bad that all of the other einherjer releases are really not as good.

3rd and the mortal...

(don't kill me, thats the only folkmetal I can stand, dislike vikingmetal strongly)

Mantraschism said:
Yeah, I'm already familiar with Borknagar and Amorphis. I used to own Tales from the Thousand Lakes, and I'm thinking about repurchasing it. I have both Garm-era Borknagar albums and both Vintersorg-era Borknagar albums, but no Vortex-era ones.

I'm really leaning towards getting Ensiferum's S/T one.

No Vortex-era Borknagar?! - you HAVE to hear it. It's GREAT material. Infact, all Borknagar rocks.

I downloaded some Ulver, and upon listening to "Kveldssanger," I thought about how thankful I am for these forums. Thank you, to recommending this excellent album. =D

Many good bands here!
I like Ulver earlier stuff, but I'm recently discovering their more recent works, which are completely different from what they used to do.
Borknagar are also great, especially Simens voice, really cool!

ether said:

Agreed ;)

And I recommend Gaate (www.gaate.no) to everyone who likes folk/ prog/ rock with excellent female vocals, all sung in Norwegian which makes the music even more interesting.

ether said:
Many good bands here!
I like Ulver earlier stuff, but I'm recently discovering their more recent works, which are completely different from what they used to do.

I would have to say that Ulvers new stuff is fukkin awesome........completely different than what any band has ever done from such humble beginings.......my opinion is that Garm is much better than Simen.....I mean Simen is singing and playing bass for Dimmu now.....a money gig.....and Garm is doing movie soundtracks now.....what is goin on in the world of music these days.......hmmm....I dont know.....but I like Garm for having done his own thing........the true shit is Arcturus.....when Garm and Simen were on the same CD....that was awesome as well.....the better Borknagar is the old shit with Garm I think.........

this is a bunch of opinion... ;)

Deliverance6 said:
I would have to say that Ulvers new stuff is fukkin awesome........completely different than what any band has ever done from such humble beginings.......my opinion is that Garm is much better than Simen.....I mean Simen is singing and playing bass for Dimmu now.....a money gig.....and Garm is doing movie soundtracks now.....what is goin on in the world of music these days.......hmmm....I dont know.....but I like Garm for having done his own thing........the true shit is Arcturus.....when Garm and Simen were on the same CD....that was awesome as well.....the better Borknagar is the old shit with Garm I think.........

this is a bunch of opinion... ;)

Man, Le Masquerade Infernal was a brilliant album. I can't find mine though, and no stores here sell it.:yell:

I think simen is a wasted talent in Dimmu, I enjoyed him so much more in Borknagar.