Folk/Viking metal recommendations

Mantraschism

Skáld
Oct 23, 2002
Augusta, GA (Lost in the Twilight Hall)
Alright, I'm reading Edda, Heimskringla and The Kalevala right now, all northern epics. As such, I need the appropriate music: Viking/folk metal. I've already got the Vintersorg, the Otyg, the Bathory, and the Asmegin, as well as some Moonsorrow and Falkenbach. I need more bands. Right now I'm considering:

Ensiferum (been thinking about them for a while)
More Moonsorrow
Wintersun
More Finntroll

What are your recommendations?

Mantraschism said:
Alright, I'm reading Edda, Heimskringla and The Kalevala right now, all northern epics. As such, I need the appropriate music: Viking/folk metal. I've already got the Vintersorg, the Otyg, the Bathory, and the Asmegin, as well as some Moonsorrow and Falkenbach. I need more bands. Right now I'm considering:

Ensiferum (been thinking about them for a while)
More Moonsorrow
Wintersun
More Finntroll

What are your recommendations?

Try Borknagar, Amorphis, Tristania, I'm sure I can think of more.
And of course Vintersorg, but that goes without saying now :D

Yeah, I'm already familiar with Borknagar and Amorphis. I used to own Tales from the Thousand Lakes, and I'm thinking about repurchasing it. I have both Garm-era Borknagar albums and both Vintersorg-era Borknagar albums, but no Vortex-era ones.

I'm really leaning towards getting Ensiferum's S/T one.

Mantraschism said:
Yeah, I'm already familiar with Borknagar and Amorphis. I used to own Tales from the Thousand Lakes, and I'm thinking about repurchasing it. I have both Garm-era Borknagar albums and both Vintersorg-era Borknagar albums, but no Vortex-era ones.

I'm really leaning towards getting Ensiferum's S/T one.

Try the Archaic Course (has Vortex, 3rd Album) definitley a classic Viking/Epic album. Tristania's first album was an awesome viking style album.
I bought a Odenmarkens Son by Vintersorg off E-Bay and it had a sticker on it claiming it was "Viking Pagan Metal!!". Got a good laugh from that!

I don't know if it'd be classified as Viking metal but Satyricons Mother North always had that feel for me.

And don't forget about Ulver. Especially Kveldssanger(acoustic album very nice)

Yeah, I've got the first three Ulver albums. Kvelssanger is my favorite. Ulvsblakk is my favorite song. It has such an amazing, 'approaching finality' feel to it.

And, Vintersorg is awesome.

@LILLITH: I was looking at Korpiklaani today. I may well check them out.

Thanks!

if you want viking metal with a more black metal slant, try enslaved or windir...or for some good ass-kicking rape and pillage music you can't go wrong with amon amarth. obvious choices, all, but essential nonetheless.

also, get every moonsorrow album you can get your hands on

That's hell of a record. I love it.
I had problems over and over again listening Tuonela, it wasn't what I'd expect by them, but it's ok now. It's not one of their best records IMO, but...

Eleria said:
What about Amorphis' Elegy?

Personally I though it was a brilliant album. a nice mix of new and old, plus it still has the folk lyrics.

Luz said:
That's hell of a record. I love it.
I had problems over and over again listening Tuonela, it wasn't what I'd expect by them, but it's ok now. It's not one of their best records IMO, but...

I didn't mind Tuonela and Am Universam, but I thought Far From the Sun was quite ordinary. It'll be interesting to hear what they sound like with the new vocalist. Mind you it'll be a few years before we get anything new over here from them. Still can't get far from the sun unless we import it.