Your Favorite Viking/Folk Metal Band

I used to listen to Kroda a few years ago, but for some reason their appeal wore off over time. I think Fimbulvinter was their best album.

I still like a few Windir songs. I might be able to count them on my two hands. I'm not sure. Good band, but every single album they put out has some serious duds in my opinion.

Still need to check out Ereb Altor. They seem interesting.

I dig Ereb Altor, although I haven't grown into the new album yet. The first record is epic as all hell. Great viking/doom; like Bathory but with better vocals.

On Awakening Ereb Altor does the Hammerheart/Twilight of the Gods style better than Quorthon himself. It's an adaptation where everything less successful has been peeled away, and everything that worked has been preserved and expanded upon. The related doom band Isole partly does the same thing with the Candlemass sound on their first three releases. That guy who is in both bands has an ear for greatness.

On Awakening Ereb Altor does the Hammerheart/Twilight of the Gods style better than Quorthon himself. It's an adaptation where everything less successful has been peeled away, and everything that worked has been preserved and expanded upon. The related doom band Isole partly does the same thing with the Candlemass sound on their first three releases. That guy who is in both bands has an ear for greatness.

I'm agreeing with you whole heartedly on the Ereb Altor situation. Definitely so latter period Bathory it even out-Bathorys Bathory. That's a lot of top quality Bathory.

I also really enjoy Isole (even though their band name reminds me of Shwarzenneger calling someone an asshole), though I never really got the Candlemass sound comparisons. Epic ? Certainly. Candlemass-ian ? Not so sure.

Ah finally the new Kromlek is out and it sounds fucking amazing so far. This is a very unique band and quite fun to listen to. German folk/viking metal. Check it out.

It's as 'unique' as Equilibrium, Thrudvangar, XIV Dark Centuries, Nebelhorn and Svartsot :lol: But, yeah, their music is fun.

I can tolerate a fair amount of cheese, so my favorite pagan/folk metal bands (no order)

Bathory
Negura Bunget ('Varstele Pamantului')
Otyg
Manegarm
Ensiferum
Turisas
Finntroll
Kampfar
Arkona
Tyr
Moonsorrow
Fjoergyn
Heidevolk
Viter
Korpiklaani at concerts or with beer in pubs.

Bucovina, mainly because they are influenced by traditional songs from my homeland. It's like rooting for your local football team.

It's as 'unique' as Equilibrium, Thrudvangar, XIV Dark Centuries, Nebelhorn and Svartsot :lol: But, yeah, their music is fun.

I dunno how Svartsot got on that list, the only* band they sound like is the band Amon Amarth would be if Amon Amarth actually were viking metal.

*ETA: ok, there are a handful, actually, but nothing people typically think of.

I do not agree that Ereb Altor equals viking era Bathory, not even close imo. While I like Ereb Altor quite much it feels much more "constructed" and written to fit a blueprint than Bathory which seems much more genuine and just sprung from emotions. Which isn't so weird as there was no blueprint for viking metal back then. :p

I can tolerate a fair amount of cheese, so my favorite pagan/folk metal bands (no order)

Bathory
Negura Bunget ('Varstele Pamantului')
Otyg
Manegarm
Ensiferum
Turisas
Finntroll
Kampfar
Arkona
Tyr
Moonsorrow
Fjoergyn
Heidevolk
Viter
Korpiklaani at concerts or with beer in pubs.

Bucovina, mainly because they are influenced by traditional songs from my homeland. It's like rooting for your local football team.

Lots of good stuff. Fjoergyn's Sade et Masoch was great, but I haven't heard their latest.

As far as Kromlek goes, Strange Rumors... Distant Tremors was good, I thought; but I haven't listened to them in forever.

And as far as the whole 'Bathory vs. Ereb Altor' debate goes, Bathory wins; but Ereb Altor has much better vocals. I know people talk about how Quorthon's voice fits the music, but let's not be hasty and throw out how awesome his music would be if the guy from Ereb Altor was singing to it.