Your Favorite Viking/Folk Metal Band

I wonder...are there are folk/post metal crossovers? It doesn't seem like they would necessarily mix all that well, but I like both genres well enough so it's a curiosity.

eh, Turisas are ok. nothing special really

It likely is just more nostalgic for me than anything. I find their music catchy and fun, but it's probably because I used to listen to them every day in undergrad when I lived on campus. I can remember crossing the Marshall Center Plaza mouthing the words to "One more for our brothers who fought beside us!!!"

But I rarely listen to them at all anymore.

Viking-era Bathory is excellent, as well as Amon Amarth. As for folk, I like me some Moonsorrow and Equilibrium. Agalloch also has some folk elements.

Most people always cite Thousand Swords as their favorite, but for good pagan/folk black metal, I'd suggest Fire Chariot of Destruction or Dawn of Iron Blades.

Those last two are like the only ones I haven't heard. :lol:
For me Carpathian Wolves is the best. :kickass:

They stick to a formula.

I'm actually pretty impressed with King of Asgard's debut. Some Amon Amarth worship mixed with doomy/Viking riffage. Not an incredibly stellar release, but it's a hell of a good start.

Finntroll (actually the last albums borring me), Korpiklaani, Amon Amarth, Otyg (project of Wintersun), Equilibrium, a bit Eluveitie and Manegarm. The problem with Ensiferium is there is a couple of really good songs (Lai Lai Hei for instance) the rest is borring.

Haven't heard it. They're not a band I've really looked into much.

doesn't matter. I was confusing Arafel with Amaseffer :dopey:

Arafel's 2003 album seems like pretty dime-a-dozen Black Metal, a bit like Arcturus. there are eclectic moments, symphonic/melodic/tech/polka/pagan/etc., but I don't see the appeal.

Most of these have been said...but ask V5...there was a period in my life where viking/folk/pagan was the ONLY thing I listened to....for like 3 solid years. There's plenty more I can't think of ad plenty more that might stray just a little too far to fit on this list, I tried to keep it reasonable.

Adorned Brood
Aeternus
Agalloch
Airged Lamh
Alkonost
Ancient
Ancient Rites
Ashen Light (yeah i fuckin said it so what?)
Ashtar
Asmegin
Bathory
Einherjer
Enslaved
Falkenbach
Fferyllt
Fjoergyn
Hammers Of Misfortune
Himinbjorg
Hollenthon
Kampfar
Lumsk
Menhir
Manegarm
Moonsorrow
Negura Bunget
Nokturnal Mortum
Odroerir
Pagan Reign
Primordial
Querimonia
Skyclad
Skyforger
Summoning
Temnozor
Twin Obscenity (didnt see this one yet)
Tyr
Ulver
Viikate
Vintersorg
Windir
Wojnar
Woodtemple
Wyrd
XIV Dark Centuries

Standouts including: Windir, Agalloch, Summoning, Moonsorrow, and Viikate.

Viikate take old school Finnish rock/folk songs and put a nice touch on em.

Also I'm not sure where to classify bands suck as these:
Forseti
Tenhi
Death In June