Folk/Viking Metal

Forgotten.nemesis

Aces High!
Aug 27, 2010
Iran
www.w0es.com
Ok.since Im here never saw anyone to talk about anygenre but thrash death heavy metal music.
I know most of the people like this genres (me too!) but there are genres that we never discuss about.
In this thread talk about the new bands of folk/viking metal and say which band is your favorite.we can olso talk about the musical roots of these genres.

I consider Viking Metal to be only a lyrical genre. most of the bands tagged as viking metal are fit in other genres.
I really like moonsorrow (voimasta ja kunniasta is a fucking great album), first two ensiferum albums, amon amarth, some thyrfing... but dislike the bands that fall into this folk viking and only because of that they're automatically cool, like korpiklaani or finntroll.

The Pursuit of Vikings is a great song by Amon Amarth a band I only found out about a short while ago. Love the chugging

There actually was a big thread on this. You should probably find that and check it out.

I really like stuff that would fall under "Blackened Folk Metal" or whatever you'd call it. Stuff like Moonsorrow, Falkenbach, XIV Dark Centuries, Windir, Agalloch, Myrkgrav, etc.

Anyone who likes Viking Metal should also listen to Bathory who were the originators of the genre. Also, keep in mind that Folk does not always equal Viking.

Bathory has some really great songs. However I need to go deeper into it, I never explored them fully.

Any recommendations besides Blood Fire Death and Under the Sign of the Black Mark?

Bathory has some really great songs. However I need to go deeper into it, I never explored them fully.

Any recommendations besides Blood Fire Death and Under the Sign of the Black Mark?

If you're looking for the "viking metal" style of Bathory you should check out Hammerheart and Twilight of the Gods. If you just want more Bathory in general, definitely get their first 2 albums as well.

I think Amon Amarth and Bathory are cool Viking stuff. As far as folk metal goes, I think Elvenking are great.

Last edited by a moderator:
fr026-skyforger-SM.jpg

This is some great folk stuff,Skyforger are a damn good folk outfit.