need more viking/folk

I seriously do not understand why people like Ensiferum so much. Their melodies go in the most awkward of directions. I reckon they sound even worse than Finntroll.

The_Isle said:
I seriously do not understand why people like Ensiferum so much. Their melodies go in the most awkward of directions. I reckon they sound even worse than Finntroll.

It depends what you like bro. I am really fond of melodic metal, of which Ensiferum and Finntroll are exceptional (IMO).

Yea but it's like everyone's like "Ensiferum are good coz they got some viking elements" and when I hear it it just sounds like plain melodic death to me with some awkward riffs and viking gimmicks( I am explicitly referring to Guardians of Fate).

I dunno I may be mistaken about this band, can anyone recommend me THE standout Ensiferum track(that is not Guardians of Fate or on the same album as it)?

The_Isle said:
Yea but it's like everyone's like "Ensiferum are good coz they got some viking elements" and when I hear it it just sounds like plain melodic death to me with some awkward riffs and viking gimmicks( I am explicitly referring to Guardians of Fate).

I dunno I may be mistaken about this band, can anyone recommend me THE standout Ensiferum track(that is not Guardians of Fate or on the same album as it)?

LAI LAI HEI :kickass:

I love folk & Viking/pagan metal but not all of it. Those which really stand out IMO are:

Amon Amarth
Bathory (Hammerheart started the Viking genre)
Finntroll
Turisas
Falkenbach
Trollfest
Glittertind
Moonsorrow
Thyrfing

I give up. I'm not bitching about these fucking threads anymore because it's bad for my health. I just wish that someone who wasn't stupid would install a proper mod already.

as far as folk metal goes... Elvenking is my fav, followed by Leprechaun (damnagoras from elvenking on vocals).

You might also like Mithotyn.

I really cant give you any other suggestions, I dont really listen to the genre with the exception of the bands I just mentioned.

I strongly recommend heidevolk, I should, it's my bf's band hehe

but there are other good bands:

garmenhord
Grimm
XIVdarkcenturies
thrudvangar
menhir
odroerir
wapenspraak en drinkgelag
lumsk
numen

these are mostly dutch and belgian and german bands. there are more but I'm tired as fuck right now. and then there's the obvious storm, otyg, ensiferum, finntroll etc etc but others named those names allready