What Makes A Metal Song "Epic" ?

I thought he was calling me out for being a jerk for ignoring people's opinions, in which case opinions would be related.

Anyhow, yeah, Summoning are definitely epic. Technicality may be counterproductive to epicness, because it reminds you that you're listening to a band. I think immersion is a key factor in epicness.

That guy must know:

Tbh, I haven't heard much of the Suffocation album, so I couldn't judge. It's very epic though.

One of those ones that get more epic the more times you hear it, huh?

I've heard them all. In The Flat Field is the most epic though.

I already have PEM; its epic.

I'm picking up In Sorte Diaboli soon; hopefully it's epic.

Some epic goth.
If you've heard it, quote me and we will discuss its epicness.

Oh. Whoops.
I downloaded Requiem anyway. Epic stuff.

Black metal has more of an epic feel to it and it incoporates more talent than DM.

Whisper Supremacy is epic.

This thread lacks Bathory discussion.
Their self-titled album is epic.

The Morningside's new demo CD is epic. PM me if you want a download link.

Got it. Not as epic as their last one, put still awesome.

Anyone else into HIM here also? Pretty epic stuff.

Monopoly is moar epic.

Looking for some epic ambient black metal. Something like Burzum or Jesu (I know they're not BM).

WHAT?!
In Sorte Diaboli was an awesome album! Puritania is the most epic DB song.

They're severely underrated; Days of Purgatory is epic.

:lol:

The best part is that most of those are fucking retarded, like Bathory's s/t being epic or black metal incorporating more "talent," whatever he meant by that, than death metal, or Whisper Supremacy being epic. Glad I have him on ignore so I didn't have to subject myself to those the first time around.

i agree that epic doesnt automatically mean it's good. there are some power/prog/folk that are epic but gay as fuck so i hate it.

anyways...

- driving riffs

- galloping riffs

- groovy riffs

- crushing breakdowns

- amazing solos

- extended high notes

- extended growls

- keyboards

- choirs

Wow. I should really stop saying that.
The best part is that most of those are fucking retarded, like Bathory's s/t being epic or black metal incorporating more "talent," whatever he meant by that, than death metal, or Whisper Supremacy being epic. Glad I have him on ignore so I didn't have to subject myself to those the first time around.
NO U

They can be. There's a part in Kataklysm - Where The Enemy Sleeps that I think does that, although I dunno if I'd call it "crushing."

Yes it is.

So, which would the majority of posters here vote as the most epic: Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse, or Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk?

I don't know. The part with just the keyboards in The Majesty of the Nightsky paints a picture for me, of something like the front cover of the album. While Anthems has more of a heroic epic feel to it.