What Makes A Metal Song "Epic" ?

Well, it really depends on what you mean by 'epic'. Do you mean the Viking Metal style of music with slower tempos and heavy drums, or 'epic' as in just plain awesome?

I assume you mean the latter, so I'll tell you what I think. I think that a song is made epic when there's a quick chord progression that has a "rolling" sound (think the At The Gates cover of Captor of Sin), or Morbid Saint's Beyond the Gates of Hell.

None of those classic Maiden songs appeal to you at all? You don't like Iron Maiden?

Interesting conclusion, dipshit. If I don't like Iron Maiden, I'll say that. I love Iron Maiden. They have, however, released a great quantity of filler material over the years, and you listed some of the best examples of such. Rime is okay, but really stretched. The others are crap. Stop making wild assumptions and having shitty opinions. It was funny for a while but now it's getting annoying.

Flash Of The Blade sounds like Hammerfall. It's okay, but definitely filler.

If you think Dream Theater are epic there's something deeply wrong with you.

I think this is epic:

You'll notice it's all vocals and percussion. There's a base rhythm and another rhythm over that, and then a melody over that.

Last edited by a moderator:
...I love Iron Maiden. They have, however, released a great quantity of filler material over the years, and you listed some of the best examples of such. Rime is okay, but really stretched...

...Flash Of The Blade sounds like Hammerfall. It's okay, but definitely filler...

Ignoring your immature inflameatory (see what i did there?) remarks regarding the dude's musical tastes:

You've GOT to give me some examples of maiden songs you like, because tbh "flash of the blade" and especially "rime of the ancient mariner" are NOT fillers imo. I could think of a lot of maiden songs that could be considered fillers, but I can't wrap my head around those particular choices.

(although my issue with ancient mariner is that the verses sound a LOT like Dio's "holy diver." If you play the verses u can literally sing holy diver verses over them :X But beyond that, great song imo).

o no they both use a gallop

anyhow. Good Maiden songs?

Fear Of The Dark (live)
Iron Maiden
Sanctuary
Phantom Of The Opera
Where Eagles Dare
The Trooper
Wasted Years
Blood Brothers
The Longest Day
These Colo(u)rs Don't Run
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
Paschendale
Sea Of Madness
fuck....whatever. smd.

good list(even though you forgot "remember tomorrow") however I think the two songs previously mentioned trump many on your list and on the same level with others.

Shitty Opinions? Your fucking stupid...Opinions can't be shitty they are my opinions...And every Maiden fan I ever talk to always lists The Majority of the songs I listed as Top Maiden songs.

Best Maiden Songs MY LIST -

The Prowler
Phantom of the Opera
Killers
Invaders
22 Acacia Ave
Hallowed be Thy Name
To Tame a Land
Where Eagles Dare
Flight of Icarus
Aces High
Powerslave
Rime/Mariner
Somewhere in time(title track)
Waster Years
Alexander
Evil that men do
only the good die young
7th Son(title track)

Everything from No Prayer through Virtual xi Sucks

Ghost of the Navigator
The Nomad
Dance of Death(title track)
Paschendale
Colors don't run
Greater good of god

The End

If you think Dream Theater are epic there's something deeply wrong with you.

Ok...I know you prob don't like Dream Theater all that much, I could be wrong though, but saying that they completely have no epic songs is BS.

The entire Scenes From A Memory album is fucking epic

Everything from No Prayer through Virtual xi Sucks

Incorrect, but w/e. You're clearly so stupid that logging in is a major accomplishment for you, so I'm just gonna put you on my ignore list.

As for systematic, I cba to listen to that but DT are like the opposite of epic.

"Incorrect, but w/e. You're clearly so stupid that logging in is a major accomplishment for you, so I'm just gonna put you on my ignore list."

LOL LOL LOL LMAO LMAO LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOLL LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Waiiiiiiiiiiiiit HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I Like Tennyson...Lets hate WAIF together!?

Funny with a name like yours...I should really like you...Oh well, Your a dick.

That is correct. Einherjer has better opinions, so Tennyson's are unnecessary.

It has nothing to do with opinions if he's just calling you out for being a jerk.

But anyway...

For another definition of epic in a band, I would suggest Summoning:

Technicality has nothing to do with being epic (I believe), as demonstrated by Summoning. I agree that percussion has a lot to do with it; the pounding rhythms of Summoning really drive the whole "wall of sound" performance. Also, the intensity of emotion in lots of their work lends to the epic quality of their sound.