Resurrected Power Metal Thread

waif

Sep 7, 2007
Montreal
...as it seems to have died and I feel like there's not enough love for power metal on this forum.

So, anyone heard the new Firewind yet?
I thought it was pretty average. A couple memorable songs (Mercenary Man, Angels Forgive Me, My Loneliness), a lot of filler. Lack of memorable riffs and choruses. Great solos. The bonus track is a cover of Maniac (from wherever it's from, everyone will recognize it as "that song that that asshole wouldn't stop humming"), and is somewhat out of place but cool.

My unofficial review. Other opinions?

Reactions: Sonic Titan
I liked Allegiance more, though. In part, the production was more powerful, but also the riffs were more aggressive and the choruses more catchy.

Allegiance was much better but I don't know what how allegiance ranks in it has anything to do with my statement tho >_> <_<

Well, as in it sounds like Allegiance, and Allegiance was good, so...
But I do think it's a weaker Allegiance.

Genre Argument alert! I consider Firewind more Melodic Metal at this point :) Ok, ok...

I haven't heard the new one yet (except Mercenary Man). I loved Allegiance. I'll definitely be picking it up though, hard to go wrong with anything Gus has a hand in.

I haven't picked up much solid Power Metal of late. I bought Orden Ogan which is awesome, but again, that could be borderline Power Metal/Melodic Metal.

Wtf is this melodic metal bullshit? I have NEVER heard a band that was called melodic metal that WASN'T power metal.

It's debatable...They definitely have a whole bunch of elements that are distinctly power metal. But the lyrics, vocals, and choruses do seem to be not particularly power metal.
They call themselves melodic metal. But then, Rhapsody call themselves Symphonic Epic Cosmic Hollywood Metal, or something like that. I never pay attention to what genre the band claims to be.

Genre Argument alert! I consider Firewind more Melodic Metal at this point :) Ok, ok...

I haven't heard the new one yet (except Mercenary Man). I loved Allegiance. I'll definitely be picking it up though, hard to go wrong with anything Gus has a hand in.

I haven't picked up much solid Power Metal of late. I bought Orden Ogan which is awesome, but again, that could be borderline Power Metal/Melodic Metal.

There has been a serious decline in quality power metal as far as im concerned. I can't even recall a really good PM cd in the last 3-5 years..

Reactions: Monsterman
As you shouldn't. Vomit Remnants has famously called themselves Hyper Groove Brutality. That ain't their genre; they're brutal death and brutal death they shall stay.

Melodic metal isn't really a genre, it basically just describes bands that are heavier and more driving than rock, but aren't really "power metal" or "heavy metal."

As you shouldn't. Vomit Remnants has famously called themselves Hyper Groove Brutality. That ain't their genre; they're brutal death and brutal death they shall stay.

Melodic metal isn't really a genre, it basically just describes bands that are heavier and more driving than rock, but aren't really "power metal" or "heavy metal."

I always considered Melodic Metal to be an encompassing genre, including anything that has a "melodic" edge. Just like Extreme Metal includes Thrash, Death, Black, etc. Melodic Metal has Power, Traditional, Gothic, etc.

Obviously bands can cross, but you get what I mean.

I'd say HIBRIA's album Defying the Rules is a great addition to the power metal catalogue.

Also, InFlames, have you heard the new Human Fortress single? What do you think? I like it alright, although I kind of miss their old singer.

Power Metal? Don't mind if I do. My favorites are Kiuas, Hibria, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, Gamma Ray, Helloween, At Vance, Sonata Arctica, Angra, Aquaria, Dragonland, Heavenly, Iced Earth, Luca Turilli, Savage Circus, Symphony X, X-Japan, etc etc... Way too many.

Regina Spektor rules, those bands however do not! They fail the almighty power metal 'spirit of the balls.'