Favorite Power Metal Choruses?

I generally have a difficult time with favorites, but since somebody brought up Epica, I might as well post my personal favorite:

Epica - Burn to a Cinder

Also, I guess it could be argued that Nightwish is pure symphonic metal and no longer power metal... but hell, we're melodic metal fans nonetheless :p The simplicity and airy yet huge sound of this chorus has always taken my breath away:

Nightwish - Ghost Love Score

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many, but three that come to mind.

Hand of Fate, also by the one and only Gamma Ray. This song is so amazing. You have to listen to it to understand :p

Abyss of the Void, also by Gamma Ray, also a great song.

Levy your Soul from Hate by Seventh Avenue. One of the best Christian Power Metal bands, in my opinion. Too bad this video is of bad sound quality, but it's the only one I found.

Enjoy! I know you will! :D

^Haha! any Dragonforce song.

Close, but not quite!
"so far away" or "far away" is present in 12 of 38 dragonforce songs. Do not ask me why I know that :p

Heres another good one: POWER QUEST is the son of Dragonforce. They released a song called 'far away' with more coherent lyrics than any dragonforce song. Comedic element/poking fun there? Yes, very much.

^ yeah, actually, I LOVE that PowerQuest song! :) But I always thought it was funny how it contained the classic DragonForce line. :D

A couple of mine would be Running Wild's 'Riding the Storm' and Helloween's 'Guardians':

First chorus starts at about 2:40 into it:

First chorus is at about 1:37, but a better one is at the end, at about 3:40, where they add keys and make it more epic:

Mind if I play? This is my single favorite subject, so... :)
Obviously I excluded Theocracy (heh heh), but here are the best of all time for my money. I tried to put these in some kind of order, and I could only narrow it down to twenty (and that took a LOT of work). So without further ado...

20) Kamelot--Center of the Universe
Always loved Khan's smooth, unique voice. I eventually lost interest in Kamelot, but The Fourth Legacy and Karma were great albums. However, I think this is their single best chorus (1:22-1:46):

19) Twilightning--Plague-House Puppet Show
Kind of an under-the-radar band for some, but what a voice and what a chorus (2:00-2:18)!

18) Rhapsody--The Wisdom of the Kings
They don't come any cheesier than Rhapsody, but they sure could write an epic chorus back in the day (1:47-2:09).

17) Masterplan--Enlighten Me
Just a fantastic chorus, set up by one of the most effective keychanges of all time (0:51-1:20).

16) Gamma Ray--Rebellion in Dreamland
No Power Metal list of any kind can leave this song off. One of the cornerstones of an entire genre. Bonus points for the hilarious video! (2:01-2:29)

15) Edguy--Tears of a Mandrake
In my opinion, Tobias Sammet has surpassed everyone to become the greatest Metal songwriter of all time, so you'll see more Edguy and Avantasia than anyone else on this list. I'm a little burned out on this song now, but it (and the whole album) was a huge influence on my writing (and the big choirs), so I couldn't leave it off completely (1:57-2:29).

14) Serenity--Coldness Kills
Maybe not strictly Power Metal, as they have some prog leanings as well, but this is one of the best choruses you'll ever hear in any genre. Another of the most effective keychanges of all time. (1:44-2:05)

13) Blind Guardian--Mirror Mirror
The kings. Respect. (0:43-1:06)

12) Sonata Arctica--Full Moon
Tony Kakko is my second-favorite Power Metal songwriter ever, so you'll see a lot more Sonata on this list as well. This is a bona-fide Power Metal classic, and "Run away! Run away! Run away!" is one of the best singalong moments at any live show (1:59-2:22).
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DBodkYOe2M&feature=related[/ame]

11) Rhapsody-- Emerald Sword
The first Rhapsody song I heard, and while I lost interest long ago, this remains their greatest moment in my opinion (1:50-2:11).

10) Sonata Arctica--San Sebastian
Just textbook speedy catchiness (0:56-1:18).
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4y-MSEOy3s&feature=related[/ame]

9) Avantasia--The Scarecrow
There's just a magic in Tobi's melodies that no one else quite seems to capture. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I use an extremely scientific measuring technique called "goosebump factor." (1:55-2:17)

8) Nightwish--The Poet and the Pendulum
It doesn't get any more epic than this (2:32-2:59). Tuomas is my third favorite Power Metal songwriter of all time.

7) Sonata Arctica--Ain’t Your Fairytale
Of all Tony's "wolf" songs, "The Cage" gets way more attention...but this is the better chorus (1:09-1:34).
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw4Odd6nues&feature=fvsr[/ame]

6) Sonata Arctica--Don’t Say A Word
The ultimate drop to half-time, "everybody jump up and down in unison" chorus (0:50-1:08).
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP4x-Df5Iqo&feature=fvwrel[/ame]

5) Edguy--The Pharaoh
Epic. Massive. Choirs. (1:39-2:19)

4) Avantasia--The Wicked Symphony
Russell Allen's (Symphony X) voice singing Tobi's melodies? Um...yes. (2:59-3:32)

3) Nightwish--Dead to the World
This list was extremely difficult to put together, but the top three were not. It would take something pretty gargantuan to ever change my top three. This whole song is a masterclass in arrangement, and especially in the effective use of keychanges.
(1:55-2:22)

2) Avantasia--Sign of the Cross
The second-best Power Metal chorus of all time (1:31-2:00).

1) Avantasia--The Seven Angels
No surprise here; greatest Power Metal song of all time. But seriously, what else could be #1? (2:48-3:23)

TheLegendaryDreamer - that Insania song is pretty good. I like it. Never had heard those guys, before. Man, that guy really sounds a lot like Michael Kiske (old Helloween)! I had to go to Metal Archives and check their lineup just to make sure it wasn't him!

Teo - I like that Gamma Ray song, 'Hand of Fate'. Good stuff. Of course, one can't go too terribly wrong with them.

Seripha - that Axenstar song was interesting and good. Has a certain tightness in the guitar sound that I dig.

Matt - the Blind Guardian one is fun to watch. The funny elements aside, it's interesting to watch Hansi sing. He looks so relaxed and nonchalant as he sings, but if I couldn't see him, I'd imagine an intense 'metal' look on his face most of the time, lol... he's great, man.
Avantasia's 'The Scarecrow' drew me in. That's a great song. You're right; there's something about his melodies.
Nightwish's 'The Poet & The Pendulum' is a great one, as well. Man, what an intense first 2 minutes. Epic!

Matt, that is an awesome list! I have Avantasia's Metal Opera CDs, but have never looked into any of Sammett's other work. By the sound of it, Edguy will be my next purchase.

Interesting to see that you seem drawn to powerful key changes, but it makes perfect sense. Several of your best moments are built on them: The bridges to Serpent's Kiss and Theocracy, the transition to the chorus in "On Eagle's Wings," etc. Heck, "Wages of Sin" makes such a big impact despite its brevity because it is pretty much an endless succession of great modulations.

The chorus of On Eagles' Wings is probably my favorite power metal chorus of all time. On Eagles' Wings was the first Theocracy song I ever heard, and right away I knew Theocracy was for me. That key change into the chorus has to be the most powerful key change I have ever heard. It is so epic I had an adrenaline rush the first several times I listened to it.

Matt, you just listed all my favorite Sonata songs, too. :) Except you left out The Last Amazing Grays, which is an absolutely beautiful song. Although actually the best part is the bridge, not the chorus.

On another related note: A few days ago I realized that when I was younger and buying albums with some regularity, I spent a lot of time buying "diverse" styles of metal and as a result, I do not own a wide variety of power metal. There are a lot of bands here that I have heard of but have never heard. This has sent me into a rush to buy or Spotify whatever new power metal I can.

So yesterday I bought a few albums at a store which is having "closing down" sales (I am definitely going back soon) and HOLY COW this one's chorus broke my neck!

Impressive list from Matt. I agree with much of it, though I had not heard any Twilightning or Serenity before. I may have to check them out! Not to sound like a suck up, but I would say Matt is my favorite power metal songwriter, with Tony Kakko being second. ("Don't Say A Word" is my personal fave from Sonata Arctica). To use Matt's term, the "goosebump factor" is highest for me when I listen to Theocracy. I'll refrain from listing the Theocracy discography, as I am sure you are all familiar with it by now! I noticed the absence of Angra and Stratovarius from Matt's list, though. :) Here's a few more I would add:

Angra - Silence And Distance (2:28-2:51)
Though I could probably go with almost anything off of Holy Land, this is one of my favorites.

Dionysus - Time Will Tell (1:09-1:40)
There are a number of notable epic Dionysus choruses, but this is probably my favorite of theirs.

Payne's Gray - Moonlight Waters
This is much closer to prog metal, but I love how they redo the style of the chorus each of the three times it appears in the song. I always thought of the chorus from 3:51-4:14 as the power metal version.

Shaman - Here I Am (2:29-2:56)
Another Andre Matos tune!

Stratovarius - Will The Sun Rise? (0:56-1:22)
I could have just easily gone with "Father Time" but that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Symphony X - Out Of The Ashes (1:12-1:30)
Russell Allen...enough said.

Van Canto - Lost Forever (1:17-1:45)
A capella metal!

Vanishing Point - Embodiment (1:15-1:29)
This song has a fairly short, but still epic chorus. Seriously, almost anything from their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th albums have epic choruses. Their first album is much closer to prog metal. Their subsequent albums still have a prog vibe, but turn up the power metal quotient. A truly underrated band! Sonata Arctica covers their song "Two Minds, One Soul."

I'm a huge Blind Guardian fan and I'd say my number one favorite is either from "Blood Tears", "Sacred Worlds", or "The New Order". After those three come "Wages of Sin" (ooobviously Theocracy) and I love the chorus to Harmony's "Maze of the Past", but idk if that's one of my all time favs...just one that popped into my mind :D

I love Blind Guardian too, I like "The Soulforged", "The Quest For Tanelorn", and "And Then There Was Silence" the best out of all their stuff.

Angra, Stratovarius, and Shaman are good; I like those. The others are good, as well, but those stand out, to me.

Man, Van Canto is AMAZING! I've heard them before, when they covered 'Battery' from Metallica, but forgot about them. Not that it wasn't good; it was great! But I forgot, nonetheless. This song here, 'Lost Forever', is incredible, though! However, I can't help but wonder if they are just a novelty band. I guess the only way to find out is to buy a CD and see how long they stand the test of time, eh?

Here, have a few more, if you like.

Helloween's 'Twilight of the Gods' (bridge/chorus is from 1:52 - 2:34)...you gotta hear the bridge, too, to get the full effect:

Grave Digger's 'Excalibur' (chorus is from 1:06 - 1:24). When Chris layers his vocals like he does in this chorus, it just simply rules. 'Nuff said:

Stratovarius's 'Black Diamond' (chorus from 1:42 - 2:07):

Primal Fear's 'Mind Machine' (chorus from 1:19 - 1:44). Pure metal adrenaline. Excellent workout music:

Oh, man, I can't believe I forgot these guys. Gotta post 'em. Absolutely incredible, criminally unknown band. If you've not heard them before, now you can say you have had the honor of doing so. ;)

....the mighty Dark At Dawn. I feel I've committed an unpardonable act by forgetting them til now.

'Fearless', from their s/t album. Chorus is from :54 - 1:20:

...and 'Within The Light', from Baneful Skies. Really, you've got to just hear the whole song...it's too good to skip right to the chorus:

Stratovarius - Eternity
Tad Morose - Lord on High
Primal Fears - Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove

To add to it, I'll say
Steel Prophet's Messiah too.
Krusader's Holy Metal Sign.

Eventually I will get to posting my favs in this thread (I'm still busy listening to all of these!), but I thought of this thread yesterday when I was driving around listening to ABBA Gold and I realized that if this was "Favorite Choruses" rather that "Favorite Power Metal Choruses", my answer would be easy: every single ABBA song. Even for the songs I don't particularly like, they have AMAZING choruses!