The Blood Alliance Review Thread

Mar 10, 2008
Abingdon, UK
Hope I'm not jumping the gun with this thread. I'm submitting the below to a metal review site; hope you enjoy reading it:

Before i start the review I feel a bit of background is required for the uninitiated. At the end of the 90's Steve Williams was in a little known band called DragonHeart, who as you all know now go by the name of DragonForce and are hugely successful. What you may not know is that, after leaving DragonHeart, Steve went on to form a band of his own... Power Quest; which on several occassions has included guest appearances by members of DragonForce.
The connection with DragonForce is something i'm keen to steer away from, although it will innevitably hang over the band for the rest of their existence. The fact of the matter is that while DragonForce displayed one dimension in their writing style, Power Quest were keen to explore more. Now, this may not be so obvious on their debut ('Wings of Forever') but there has been an increasing progression and nod towards 80's hard rock with every album since and it's this fusion of 80's synths and epic chorus lines that sets Power Quest apart from others in the genre. Just listen to tracks like 'Temple of Fire' or 'Find My Heaven' if proof is needed.
Unfortunately, the band has been dismissed by many as 'Flower power' or being too 'cheesey' and, as much as i hate to admit it, the bands sound up until 2009 with falsetto singer Allessio Garevello was either a Love or Hate relationship. As such, many people failed to embrace the musical genius of Steve Williams and, when the rest of his band members decided to part ways in 2009, it looked to be the end of the road for Power Quest.
However, spurred by the encouragement of the fans, Steve never gave up and found a new line up, which Boasts the talent of ex-Firewind singer Chitral 'Chity' Somapala alongside other less known, but by no means less talented, musicians. Power Quest MkII are very much alive and kicking, and now they're back with an album that will have even the most relectunt power metal fan turning the volume knob to 11... That album is 'Blood Alliance'.
it's obvious from the starting intro 'Battle Stations' that there is a renewed energy and sense of urgency within the band; the production is much more crisp and in your face than on any other Power Quest album and the guitars have been brought forward in the mix to add an extra crunch to the sound. all this, along with the powerhouse drums provided by Rich Smith, makes a very promising start to the album. Instrumentals are all well and good, but what of new singer Chitral Somapala? the addition of Chitty's lower vocal register adds even more weight to the 80's tinged riffs and synths that underline each song. This is evident from the first track 'Rising Anew' which is an affirmation of the bands rejuvinated vigour. The song starts with a riff reminisant of Nightwish's 'Sahara' before transitioning into a staple PQ Verse and Chorus,which is backed up with additional vocals. it's a song that's hard to imagine being sung by the previous singer, which is a towering acheievement for any band that change vocalists after so many years. But with this being the case, the real question is does it still sound like Power Quest or is it an entirely different band? I find this a very hard question to answer having always associated Power Quest with synths and high vocals being very much in the forefront of every song. in that sense it seems like they are a different band, however, The synths are still there, but instead of dominating the songs they add more of an atmosphere, making it more effective when they rise through the mix for a solo. Obviously the high pitch vocals are gone, but the trademark PQ chorus' remain and it's these chorus' that let the listener know they've put on a PQ song. So no, not a different band alltogether as the writing hand remains ever present, instead it's a remarkably smooth transition, and one that's sure to attract both old and new fans alike.

Sacrifice starts with a riff that you'll swear you've heard before as it's very similar to that of Diamond Head's 'Am I Evil?', but you won't have heard this riff blended so perfectly within a power metal song. about 20 seconds in the riff fades seemlessly into the verse and re-appears as backing for the chorus, which again is catchy and drenched in a rich 80's style. This is one of those albums that doesn't have a bad track on it. Survive, the albums lead off single (Although not to be released as a single) can be heard on the bands myspace. It is an excellent choice for people to hear first as it represents the essence of the album, go listen to it now!
The most bold and unexpected song on Blood Alliance is 'Crunching the numbers' which deals with a real life situation (Credit crunch if not obvious) as is typical in Williams recent material (A writing style that developed on Master Of Illusion) and combines Testament style riffing with rhythmic changes a la Dream Theater, working itself to a frenzied conclusion. It includes a very dark chorus which is the opposite to the usual PQ song and is sure to generate discussion amongst the fans as any truly great song should.
A mention has to be given to the title track, which is a lengthy 9 minutes (but really doesn't feel like it). it takes something special to make a long track seem like one of the shortest and Power Quest have this nailed on 'Blood Alliance', it is a very well composed piece that includes an epic chorus line and guitar solos galour.
finally (for those without the Japanese bonus) comes 'City of Lies'. This is a real throw back to the 80's and includes a suitably fitting chorus that you will find yourself humming for days after; there is no doubt in my mind that this one will become a fan favourite. keeping with the throwback theme, the refrain at the end of 'City of Lies' comes from the song Power Quest Pt1, found on the debut album, and signals that the band have brought 'the Quest' into a new era.
This is sure to prove one of the best releases in the genre this year and is testament to Steve's never give up attitude. it's said about many albums that there is something for everyone, but on 'Blood Alliance' there really are elements that will appeal to a wide variety of music fans, not just the Power Metal devotee.

Dude is this your review or an official:)? Cause it was well written! And also, which is your favorite song on the album?

Uhm is this a thread for everyone's opinion?:p

Dude is this your review or an official:)? Cause it was well written! And also, which is your favorite song on the album?

Uhm is this a thread for everyone's opinion?:p

that's very kind but no, it's not a professional review just my own thoughts. And yes this is a thread for everyone's opinion. Looking forward to what other people think to the album and which are their favourite tracks

And 1928, spoiler?... I didn't mention the bonus track. wanted to leave that to people to discover themselves

I see:) well i'm not going to write any long review or anything, i really suck at writing lol

But I can tell that this is by FAR the best Power Quest album, according to me. And this is probably going to be one of my favorite releases of all time. For those of you who's still waiting for it, I can tell you it's worth it!

It's really hard to choose but my favorite song on this album would probably be..."Sacrifice" or "Only in my dreams". Haven't heard it that many times so might change after more listening through the album:)

The napalm-ordering site describes it perfectly:)

"Blood Alliance" presents the melodic power metal combo at its best. !

Paul....thanks very much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. Really appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us and great to hear it is clearly hit the spot with you!

Glad the contemporary lyric was noted on "Crunching". Anyone spot the other 2 songs with the "real life" lyrics?

Gibbon.....sounds like it's made its mark with you as well my friend! Awesome!

Of course....everyone feel free to add to this thread, and I've "stuck" the thread to keep it up top as well!

Oh, I was just referring to the comment about the refrain at the end :p Not a big deal, just me being antsy, wanting my copy and all!

Nice review Paul, very detailed and articulate! Glad you enjoy the album dude, looking forward to reading more thoughts..

I've polished off my review and submitted it to a site I visit - here. I've done my best to keep it un-biased and un-fanboyish, so please take my criticisms with a pinch of salt, I had to look hard for them!

9/10, really love the album guys. Rock on!

Nice write up moleSG! Very un-biased as you say. Good job and thanks for sharing it with us dude!

As a musician, I've never really understood (and never really asked the question before) as what people mean by "power metal cheese" though. Seems to be a phrase more often associated with power metal than any other. Is down to the keyboards? I'm actually very curious as opposed to "having a go" about it.

As Jorn once said....."Enlighten me" :)

Hm. It's an interesting topic to try and cover. It's a term that could mean different things to different people, but in the end, it seems (in my opinion, at least) to be the reason some people won't go near Power Metal at all - PQ is just a very melodic band in the genre. :)

I would say largely the use of keyboards, and partly even the simple style of Power Metal - more associated with melody, fun choruses, and perhaps trying to make things dramatic - all contribute towards it. In a lot of albums, the lyrics can also make them music cheesy - but in most cases in Blood Alliance, the lyrics are varied and well-written enough to avoid any of those connotations.

But, please, don't get me wrong when I talked about that in the review. I mentioned that the band had got heavier, but mentioned the idea of 'Power Metal Cheese' to avoid giving people the idea that PQ had gone heavy in terms of straying into the realms of Thrash or Death metal. :lol:

It's simply the fact some people don't like very melodic Power Metal. It isn't in any way, shape or form trying to imply that there's something wrong with your music in that respect. It's just, well, personal preference, and I thought it would be good to put in there in my ham-fisted way to try and be less fanboyish.

Symphony said:
As Jorn once said....."Enlighten me" :)
Also, I love that song. :p

Nicely explained dude!

I've found over the years that the phrase often appears in magazine reviews.....where the reviewer clearly hasn't actually listened to the lyrics at all. Happened a lot with the last record where it was stated on many occasions that the lyrics were "typical power metal" fantasy/cheese.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion...but it's much more useful if it is an informed, intelligent opinion as per your write up dude!

That first Masterplan album was a killer! :)

I've polished off my review and submitted it to a site I visit - here. I've done my best to keep it un-biased and un-fanboyish, so please take my criticisms with a pinch of salt, I had to look hard for them!

9/10, really love the album guys. Rock on!

Really nice review there dude! a lot more concise and less fan-boyish than mine :lol:

I've found over the years that the phrase often appears in magazine reviews.....where the reviewer clearly hasn't actually listened to the lyrics at all. Happened a lot with the last record where it was stated on many occasions that the lyrics were "typical power metal" fantasy/cheese.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion...but it's much more useful if it is an informed, intelligent opinion as per your write up dude!

That first Masterplan album was a killer! :)

It definitely doesn't surprise that that term can be bandied about by lazy / bored reviewers who don't look into what they're reviewing properly - the lyrics on the last one definitely weren't fantasy / cheese.

Thanks for the praise on the review guys, I'm not entirely sure it's deserved though! :erk:
I feel it could be improved by defining what I mean with the 'cheese' comment, and perhaps putting a bit more praise in there, it didn't seem positive enough!

Perhaps I'll take another look at it later, but in the meantime, I think I should definitely draw in a few more people who might at least look some of the music up on YouTube, maybe get a few extra purchases of the albm for you guys. :)