The Blood Alliance Review Thread

And there is a unicorn on the demo! :lol:

I agree though, totally love the "cheesiness" of it all.

Finally got my copy through the post today! :kickass:

Just given it it's first spin and I am mightly impressed! Within a few seconds of "Battle Stations" blasting out I started smiling!

It is just my first listen so I'm not exactly remembering it vividly at the moment but in general I'm really impressed by just about everything on it really. The production, the tempos, the shredding, the solos, the drumming, the keyboards, the vocals etc.

Whilst having nods to the different styles of previous albums, it's also got it's own unique sound as with the previous releases, which is always a good thing! This goes for the sound of the instruments and the vocals, the latter of which is of course the main difference.

I think I'll always prefer Alessio's Vocals overall but Chitty brings a new, different, yet still brilliant style and feel to the Vocals. These complement the sound of the songs and vice versa. He sounds quite different to how he did in Firewind, which is very interesting.

So far, I'm particularly liking "Rising Anew", "Survive", "Crunching The Numbers", "Only in my Dreams" and "City of Lies". I think the general nature of the topics of the songs is also very interesting and different, very un-typical compared to the fantasy themes dominant in much of Power Metal (or of appearing and/or sounding of a fantasy nature). Particularly with "Crunching The Numbers", which is not only a great song, but also interesting to hear a Power Metal song about the current state of the UK Economy (and perhaps general standards of living, UK and/or Worldwide?).

The bonus of an awesome Japanese Bonus Track completes the package!

Can't wait to give it more listens! Well done lads!

Also, it's an honour to have my name in the booklet! :worship:

Great to hear your copy arrived dude.....and thank you for the cool write up as well dude.....even after just an initial playback.

Glad the lyrical angle is approved of as well mate. Along with CTN there are indeed a number of songs on there which aren't fantasy related at all...I think it's kind of cool to have a bit of social commentary in there, but that might well be my age talking and something that isn't spotted or liked by everyone.

Those of you who have a physical copy now......how's the booklet for you, in conjunction with the album cover? Hope it all hangs together well for you guys!

Glad the lyrical angle is approved of as well mate. Along with CTN there are indeed a number of songs on there which aren't fantasy related at all...I think it's kind of cool to have a bit of social commentary in there, but that might well be my age talking and something that isn't spotted or liked by everyone.

Those of you who have a physical copy now......how's the booklet for you, in conjunction with the album cover? Hope it all hangs together well for you guys!

Oh, I definitely approve of the different lyrical themes. I know at least for CTN, Rising Anew, Time to Burn they made the songs much more interesting / enjoyable to listen to.

I love the booklet. Simple, easy to read, looks really nicely themed, the pics of you guys rock, and I love how you put shoutouts to fans in the back. Thought that was a really nice touch.

That "cheesy" PQ sound is the reason i love PQ. The one thing i wasn't that fond of was Alessio's singing, but as fool said in his review, its either a love or hate, and it's not my type of singing, that's all.

When it comes real life releated lyrics, I like it. Especially Time to Burn, the lyrics for that song are really great, well done!

Totally agree with RedFox on the cheese factor, that's one of the beauties of power metal to me and I'm not ashamed to admit it!

For those who have received your copy of Blood Alliance, I'm happy it's arrived and met your approval :headbang:

Agreeing with all the comments on the "cheese" factor of Power Metal!

Having given Blood Alliance a couple of more listens (as well as playing the odd one or two tracks seperately as well), "Better Days" is growing on me big time. Such a great, feel good song!

Yeah! Only in my dreams is one of my fav tracks on the album. TNT are awesome love Tony Harnell vocals too:D

All right, just gave it a spin. First impression review!

The production is wonderful, simple as that. Has to be the best production on a PQ album yet. Steve wasn't kidding when he said this is an aggressive album... the intro alone proves that to be true! Having already voiced the things I liked and disliked about Master of Illusion, it was wonderful to see everything I wanted to hear from Power Quest return with this album. The thundering bass, speed of light guitars, wonderful synth tones, and beautiful vocals, it's all there!

Crunching the Numbers is probably my favorite after spinning the album just once - wonderfully proggy power metal in that song, with a couple awesome rock screams from Chity (I'd been waiting the whole album to hear one from him, and was glad to hear it in that song!).

What I love most about this album is how comfortable everybody sounds... Andy and Gav really weren't afraid to let loose and shred like demons, and Rich killed it on the drums! It really does sound like a completely recharged band with something to prove, and it's so evident when you hear the songs. It's like everyone's been a part of the band for a long time - I hear no hesitation or restraint from anybody. Aggressive, in your face, yet still very catchy and beautiful.

That's it in a nutshell, just to keep it short. I had extremely high hopes for this album... and I'm very glad to say it met them all! I'm trying not to be too biased or overjoyed because I have the album, but no lie, even after hearing it once, it's everything I was hoping it would be.

Absolutely stellar work, guys - it was worth the painful and lengthy wait!

The production is wonderful, simple as that. Has to be the best production on a PQ album yet. Steve wasn't kidding when he said this is an aggressive album... the intro alone proves that to be true! Having already voiced the things I liked and disliked about Master of Illusion, it was wonderful to see everything I wanted to hear from Power Quest return with this album. The thundering bass, speed of light guitars, wonderful synth tones, and beautiful vocals, it's all there!

Crunching the Numbers is probably my favorite after spinning the album just once - wonderfully proggy power metal in that song, with a couple awesome rock screams from Chity (I'd been waiting the whole album to hear one from him, and was glad to hear it in that song!).

What I love most about this album is how comfortable everybody sounds... Andy and Gav really weren't afraid to let loose and shred like demons, and Rich killed it on the drums! It really does sound like a completely recharged band with something to prove, and it's so evident when you hear the songs. It's like everyone's been a part of the band for a long time - I hear no hesitation or restraint from anybody. Aggressive, in your face, yet still very catchy and beautiful.

That's it in a nutshell, just to keep it short. I had extremely high hopes for this album... and I'm very glad to say it met them all! I'm trying not to be too biased or overjoyed because I have the album, but no lie, even after hearing it once, it's everything I was hoping it would be.

Toldja so. ;)

Oh, I'd also like to say... love the very beginning of Time to Burn! Most excellent.

Great to hear your thoughts 1928! It's cool to hear that all the component parts you were expecting are present and correct as well.

It's one thing I definitely have to agree with.....and I've felt this not only with the album but with rehearsals and the general vibe of the band since April last year.....re-energised/recharged on all fronts!

That's awesome, Steve. Now get to work on the follow-up. :lol:

Kidding, of course, haha! The more I play the album, the more I love it - Sacrifice especially, it has an 80s rock vibe to me and it's so damn catchy!

addendum: Better Days has quickly become one of my favorites... those are some damn good verses, love that pumping rhythm!

Glad the vibe within the band comes through in this album. I second Steve's comments

"It's one thing I definitely have to agree with.....and I've felt this not only with the album but with rehearsals and the general vibe of the band since April last year.....re-energised/recharged on all fronts!"

As musicians I believe we all click and it is definitely a tight unit. Can't wait to rock out these tracks live and show the energy that exists between us.

Be ready, we are \m/

Hmm, would it be fine if I review the album, despite the fact that I've heard it on a streaming/sharing site?

Hmm, would it be fine if I review the album, despite the fact that I've heard it on a streaming/sharing site?

I don't think you can review an album properly if you haven't listened to it many times, have the lyrics etc etc

Certainly can't do it justice on a couple of listens, where the audio quality wasn't good either. That's why You Tube is a pain the ass......the quality is terrible.