Face the Raven EP - Thoughts

Marty_1994

Sep 15, 2013
So the new Ep was recently released and I received it a few days ago and decided to post my thoughts. It would be fun to hear what you guys think as well!

First track: As mentioned before in another thread, this song is a very strong comeback from the new force! A bit darker, it gives Ash's voice a possibility to shine, being still very energetic and somehow catches the PQ sound while still being very fresh. A worthy follow-up to the 2011 Blood Alliance album!

Second track, Coming home: This is power Quest! I drove to work while I started listening to this in the car and couldn't help to grin somewhat extreme when this started - and I didn't stop during the while song! Recently I've had a hard time listening to new material. Nothing seemed to stuck in my mind or bring those feelings of joy, but this one did the trick! An extremely fun song. It nods back to the past work of PQ a lot. Not only in words, but in keyboards, and rhytm I'd say. This song brings out cheer and it represents PQ just perfect! If you'd ever need a song to cheer you up - this is the one for you! I think if I'd ever need to show one song to a friend which is a good example for why I love PQ this will be the one that I'll play. Just fantastic!!!

Merge together the album Neverworld and Blood Alliance and you'll end up with: Coming home!

Blood Alliance remix: This one is a bit harder for me to melt. I thought that Chity gave a new kind of essence to the Quest that I had been looking for. A bit more tense which was rounded up perfectly in Blood Alliance. Ash's work on this song is different - it now sounds a bit more like a power metal song I think, but gives a totally different edge to it. I'm really interested in hearing some other old songs with Ash to see how they'd sound. But this new recording was good in its own way - Gives a new edge which is a bit closer to the first four albums, but leaves out something that Chity added. I will have to listen to this much more to know which version I prefer!

So well done all of Power Quest. The two guitar brothers gives the energy that Power Quest so perfectly delivers. The bass is there and does a good job on supporting(but a Power Quest/Paul Finne bass solo is strongly wanted!). Keyboards are phenomenal as usual in giving a feeling of joy. The vocals are new and much more dynamic.

An extra star goes out to Rich. The drums themselves takes Power Quest one whole step upwards. Something which I noticed in the last album as well:)

Hoping my copy arrives soon, will let you know what I think :)

Arrived!

Man, Face The Raven sounds so much heavier blaring it from the physical CD. This is a driving tune! Ashley makes his presence known, that's for sure. GREAT singing, great riff, great everything! Love the lyrics!

Coming Home nails that classic Power Quest vibe. Nice little nods to past Power Quest titles. The beginning gives me huge 'Survive' vibes from Blood Alliance, and then it takes a few turns, and by the time the chorus rolls around it's just like early Quest. Great song. Love the uplifting sound of this one.

Blood Alliance - Ash's voice is so good on this, perfect song for him to sing (though I've always wished Time To Burn was not a bonus track, and I think his voice would be perfect for that too!). Love this song, it's a great epic without going over the top.

CD came just in time for fall, which for me is the best time of year and makes music even more enjoyable, so this is a happy day. Great stuff guys!! \m/

Great to read the thoughtful insights guys!

We've actually been talking about maybe doing another older song but with Ash singing so let's see how those discussions develop :)

Coming Home really was a fun song to write and we all find it a blast to play live as well as in rehearsals. Written with the fans in mind I wanted to write a lyric that would reference as many old song titles as I could without losing the main drive of the lyric. I was going for that TSO vibe in the slowdown before the first verse :)