The Blood Alliance Review Thread

Yea, the translation would just come out a garbled mess.

Still waiting on my copy to arrive. *twiddles thumbs*

I noticed somethings aren't capitalized that should be. Don't know if that was pointed out yet.

Well after a few more listenings of the album i think my favorite song of the album might aswell be the title track, Blood Alliance, and song with best lyrics in this album is the japan-only, Time to burn:)

Also got some lyrical/musical questions about some songs on the album, thanks!

In the song crunching the numbers, what inspired you to the intro? The first part is the most EPIC thing i've ever heard! and the second part of the intro, it really sounds like it's inspired by the sonic games music, but i may be wrong.

And a lyrical question, too. In Rising Anew, who are you singing about? For example with the lines:"They act like gods but they are human after all"? because if i'm not mistaken the song is overall about the new era of PQ? But who are those bad people you're singing about? like "they criticised our every move, deceivers"? or the line above as an example...Thanks!

Gibbon.....the lyrics you mentioned in Rising Anew are all about the journalists and reviewers and other people who said PQ were finished and could never come back after all the changes in the band.

Crunching the Numbers intro is something I've had kicking around for a couple of years now and I wanted to do something with a more progressive feel. The "noises" in the 2nd part were Andy's idea to add into the mix!

Gibbon thanks for asking the Question about the lyrics of Rising Anew, i was wondering exactly the same "They act like gods but they are human after all" and now im reading steve's answer and it starts to make sense for me!

Rising Anew is actually one of my favourite songs of the album

I did wonder if that was the case! Rising Anew is indeed a great track, one of the best I think!
I still can't pin down my exact favourite though... maybe Rising Anew / Survive / Better Days / Crunching / Bl- oh, sod it. :lol:

Here's a translation of the Burrn magazine review......thanks to Michiko Kimura for this!

The 5th album of a melodic power/speed metal band from UK after 3 years since the previous release. This is also an album by the new line up total...ly changed except the key person Steve Williams <key>. The new singer is Chity Somapala who has joined Firewind for a while. I don't know how their old fans would take it, but at least I personally never think the members' change works in a minus direction. It works on various parts in a plus direction, they decently and finely created this, keeping the usual factors in this type of music, and these songs played with their excellent techniques give me a steady impression. It's great to listen to Chity powerfully singing mainly in the middle range, and satisfying with two guitarists' gorgeous performances.
(revewed by Maeda) score: 80 points

The intro in Crunching is one of those that just sends shivers down my back when every time we play it in rehearsals, it just sounds fucking HUGE live

@ Gibbon, the whammy bar flutter on CTN riff actually came about in pre-production as a joke originally but it seemed to stick. I can see what you mean about Sonic now but who knows.. maybe it was a subconscious thing :)

Very pleased with the Burrn review, not bad at all I'd say!

So your way of showing them who's the boss Steve:D!

Haha Andy, the intro to Crunching sends shivers down my back when i hear it in my mp3. Can't imagine how awesome it must be live!

When we were in the latter stages of recording, me and Chris Fielding at Foel studios used to joke that every time we heard that whammy noise it sounded like a telephone!

"Hello, Power Quest....how can we help you? " LOL!

Finally got my copy through the post today! :kickass:

Just given it it's first spin and I am mightly impressed! Within a few seconds of "Battle Stations" blasting out I started smiling!

It is just my first listen so I'm not exactly remembering it vividly at the moment but in general I'm really impressed by just about everything on it really. The production, the tempos, the shredding, the solos, the drumming, the keyboards, the vocals etc.

Whilst having nods to the different styles of previous albums, it's also got it's own unique sound as with the previous releases, which is always a good thing! This goes for the sound of the instruments and the vocals, the latter of which is of course the main difference.

I think I'll always prefer Alessio's Vocals overall but Chitty brings a new, different, yet still brilliant style and feel to the Vocals. These complement the sound of the songs and vice versa. He sounds quite different to how he did in Firewind, which is very interesting.

So far, I'm particularly liking "Rising Anew", "Survive", "Crunching The Numbers", "Only in my Dreams" and "City of Lies". I think the general nature of the topics of the songs is also very interesting and different, very un-typical compared to the fantasy themes dominant in much of Power Metal (or of appearing and/or sounding of a fantasy nature). Particularly with "Crunching The Numbers", which is not only a great song, but also interesting to hear a Power Metal song about the current state of the UK Economy (and perhaps general standards of living, UK and/or Worldwide?).

The bonus of an awesome Japanese Bonus Track completes the package!

Can't wait to give it more listens! Well done lads!

Also, it's an honour to have my name in the booklet! :worship:

Great feedback from you guys on this thread. Really makes me happy that we made the decisions we did with these songs.

I'm particularly interseted by the many mentions of "City of Lies" as being one of the stand out tracks. Certainly one that I am hoping we will perform live. Along with "Crunching the Numbers", it's the track I enjoy playing most in rehearsals.

Keep the reviews coming guys, they make great reading.

I just wanted to throw in my two cents on the "cheesy power metal" topic:

Typically, the phrase refers to the fact that a key goal of most power metal is to cultivate a sense of the epic, the majestic, the glorious, often in a way that rings false to a lot of people. They hear the ninety-billionth ode to the emotional power of the fire in one's heart and they go "oh come on." Even when it's not about dragons, the music itself is specifically designed to feel inspiring and uplifting, and people who don't buy into that find it gaudy and tacky, tasteless, childish even.

Thing is, I like all of that. I love that sense of epicness that can make me sense that even my everyday drudge is a part of a greater adventure of life. Or that can take me away to a land where I ride a gryphon or something. :) The more something is called cheesy, the more I tend to love it.

And come on, Steve, you named your band "Power Quest." You're going to get hit with the cheese argument even if you were freaking Beethoven. :headbang: :headbang: