Favorite Power Metal Choruses?

ABBA Gold! Great stuff SeaStorm!

This is a terrific thread - especially seeing Matt's list.
I bought Sonata Arctica's "Ecliptica" this Christmas because Matt had mentioned the band a while ago.
Now I have a heap of other epic bands to check out!

Anyone like Scelerata?

*Cracks Knuckles*

This is one of the most epic threads ever. I actually started this morning trying to put together a top 5 list,and so far it's taken me half a day of pure frustration (the good kind). I am going to just throw out some of my favorite ones that haven't been mentioned yet.

Also, the post by Matt proves what I knew all along. It just makes sense that the music he creates grabs me so quickly, because his influences are some of my all time favorites from before I discovered Theocracy.

Here we go, in no real order.

Kamelot - "Forever", live from the "cold winter's night" DVD. If you want to hear Reee-freakin-diculous vocal talent and crowd interaction, watch the middle of this video (actually at 5:20). So sad Khan is gone, hope they get someone awesome new.

Blind Gaurdian - "Valhalla", From another live dvd. Amazingly catchy. And the crowd continues to try and get him to sing!

Sonata Arctica - "It wont fade" , my favorite wolf song. It's prog, but prog and power are like a dang venn diagram with Sonata Arctica. LEARN TO LOVE BOTH! If I must pick an uber catchy power chorus from them, it'd be "flag in the ground" oh man.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkx24b10c7Q&ob=av2n[/ame]

Iced Earth - "The Hunter" How come nobody has mentioned them yet! I guess they are powerprog too. Hruumph

Nightwish - "Romanticide" This one is symponi-power. I don't care. Nightwish was my first and still favorite metal band. Also impossible to choose a favorite. If you havent yet, look up storytime from the new album and you'll pee your pants on the spot.

Mutiny Within - "Awake" I am again not sure if this can be classified as power. Somebody tell me. So sad this band is hiatus'ed right now. Brain sticker chorus.

That's all I got right now... im sure there will be more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I thought I´d give this a try and it turned out to be much harder than I expected. This little top 10 is far from perfect and there is a lot more songs that I wanted to include. Also, I kinda arranged this list by band. Enjoy!

10. ReinXeed - Reach For The Sky
Not their best song off "1912" or any of the other albums, but the chorus is catchy and full of energy. Sorry for the vid with crappy audio, it does sound way better on the real disc.

9. Qantice - Pirates
Excuse me for throwing in a more proggy/symphonic sound, but I absolutely love this chorus. I'm really looking forward to their next album.

8. Freedom Call - Merlin - Legend Of The Past
Great song by a great band. Although I do not like all of their songs off "Legend Of The Shadowking", this one probably has the most powerful chorus, which sticks too.

7. Stratovarius - Darkest Hours
I must admit that I'm not familiar with Stratovarius' older stuff (which is a lot of albums by the way), but "Elysium" rocks! "Event horizon" is another great song on the album, but I liked the chorus in "Darkest Hours" much better.

6. Sinbreed - When Worlds Collide
Oh man, this band is crazy really, the good stuff Ulterium Records provides us with. Also, they're one of the best descriptions of powermetal out there in my opinion. There are many good songs on this album, but the titletrack has a chorus that I LOVED from the first time I heard it.

5. Theocracy - A Tower Of Ashes
Although as a band much higher on my list, I couldn't get Theocracy a ticket to my top 4 best powermetal choruses (sorry Matt...:D). A Tower Of Ashes is a perfect example of everything I love about power metal though, and the chorus is great.

4. Sonata Arctica - Flag in the Ground
My personal favourite off "The Days Of Grays" and one of their best choruses ever, 'nuff said...

3. Kamelot - Centre Of The Universe
Oh, this one was really hard, as there's so many amazing melodies to choose from. Picking a favourite Kamelot chorus is like: "Ohh, ´Farewell´ is great!.....but ´The Center Of the Universe´ is amazing too....but then again, ´Forever´ is awesome as well...hmmm, and what about ´Ghost Opera´?...":yell:
´Center Of The Universe´ was both the first Kamelot and powermetal song I ever heard, and there aren't many songs that are so dear to me as this one.

2. Avantasia - Sign Of The Cross
Recently started listening to these guys, and similar to Kamelot, Avantasia has many mind-blowing, melodic choruses, like ´The Tower´, ´The Seven Angels´, ´Chalice Of Agony´, ´Lost In Space´, etc. ´Sign Of The Cross´ takes the cake, though I can´t really say why I love it more than Avantasia's other stuff.

1. Symphonity - Gates of Fantasy
If I were just as *extremely* scientific as Matt, I'd say this song has the ultimate goosebump factor in the universe. Really, this song´s got more hooks than a whole legion of pirates, its melodies are very powerful and the chorus is dang near perfect. Well, in my opinion at least...
Ironically, the Youtube vid´s got kind of a crappy audio track.:bah:

Too many to pick just a few...

Gamma Ray -> Dethrone Tyranny, Hand of Fate, Beyond the Black Hole
Helloween -> Guardians
Theocracy -> Wages of Sin, Drown, The Victory Dance
Turisas -> Hunting Pirates, March of the Varangian Guard
Epica -> Sancta Terra
Blind Guardian -> Battlefield, Welcome to Dying, Into The Storm
Sonata Arctica -> The Cage, Don't Say a Word
Nightwish -> Ghost Love Score
Majestic Vanguard -> Tears in Neverland
Rhapsody -> Eternal Glory, Knightrider of Doom, The Village of Dwarves
Masterplan -> Enlighten Me
Avantasia -> Farewell, Death is Just a Feeling, Sign of the Cross
Seventh Avenue -> Wings of Dawn
Kamelot -> Lost and Damned

To anyone and everyone posting Angra; Thank you; I love you.

That is all.

Regarding favorites in power metal (apart from Angra):
Particularly Christian band:

one of my all time favorite songs, made me get shivers for a good 8000-9000 times while listening...then it got old and I hate when that happens :(

And a couple of secular ones:

May I ask the mod, sir He-knows-I-mean-him, to alter my links so they aren't directly embedded if it causes a clutter on the page, thank you :D